Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Carburetor
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 10-12-2018, 02:16 PM
Confirmed Luddite

Last Cigar Smoked: Snack Pack Tapioca
Uesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I Finally Got Rid of the Butterflies

I finally swapped out the stock butterfly carb for a newer CV on the FXR. It took a number of getting/ordering additional parts but it's finally in and running great. I had to go to Detroit for work and rode 589 miles in two days. I'm getting 20 more miles per tank and it's pulling way stronger on the seat of the pants dyno.

I started with the carb, a new choke cable, CV-Performance idle mixture screw, replica '88 Sportster needle, and assorted jets.

Delay 1. My manifold is an S&S with the bolt up mount for the stock Keihin. Should have ordered the adapter sooner.

Delay 2. They sent the right adapter with the wrong dimensions. They screwed up the posting but sent me the right one immediately and it did fit.

Delay 3. The airbox backing plate is vastly different so I had to run up to Cycle Warehouse to dig through the attic for the right one. Luckily I found one for non-breather heads along with a new K&N clone filter for cheap. I also needed to cut out my cover to fit the notch in the top of the backing plate. I also had to cut back about an inch of the casing on the idle cable to make it fit.

Everything then bolted up perfect with the addition of a couple of spacers to account for the adapter and it started on the first crank! I adjusted the mixture and idle and then took it for the test ride. It ran like nobody's business. For a little while. Then it wouldn't idle and I had to nurse it home keeping the revs up.

Delay 4. There's supposed to be a spring, washer and O-ring holding tension on the idle mixture screw. If they were in there I didn't see them when I pulled out the stock screw and replaced it with the CV-P one. And now I had to order not only those but also another mixture screw since the CV-P one vibrated it's way out and made good its escape.

I put the remaining parts in place with a touch of loctite on the mixture screw for luck and now it's good to go.

I need to work more on the jetting. I had info showing a stock 42 pilot and 165 main so I put a 44 pilot in and 170 main to account for my cam and pipes. It runs great with those but then I though I'd do something novel and check my factory manual. 42 and 165 is stock for the California Reduced Effect model. The rest of the country is 45 and 185. That would explain the extra 20 miles per tank. It does still run stronger and the plugs are a nice tan. I have a 45 and a 180 I'm going to try next and I ordered a 46, 48, 185 and 190 to go to after that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carb.jpg (114.9 KB, 53 views)

Old 10-12-2018, 05:15 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
That sounds great, heading in the right direction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 10-13-2018, 05:09 PM
Confirmed Luddite

Uesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I forgot to mention. Tin snips were involved.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:43 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 10-14-2018, 09:34 AM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Your bike is dirty

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 10-15-2018, 12:45 PM
I Like Dirt...!

Last Cigar Smoked: BubbleGum
Xkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suck
where'd you stay in Detroit...?

I miss the wings at Sweetwater Tavern...

Some Mornings I Wake Up Grouchy.....others, I Let Her Sleep

Old 10-16-2018, 11:38 AM
Confirmed Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xkvator View Post
where'd you stay in Detroit...?

I miss the wings at Sweetwater Tavern...
Doubletree Dearborn. Hockeytown Cafe has an FXR hanging in the front window.

Two years in a row I watched Pens playoff games in Detroit. They weren't happy.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:40 AM
Confirmed Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel! View Post
Your bike is dirty
If the weather is nice enough to wash it, it's nice enough to ride it. And if the weather isn't nice enough to wash it, it's still nice enough to ride it.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:47 AM
Confirmed Luddite

Delay 5. As it turns out the carb has a bunch of Dynojet parts on it. Stock main jets won't fit. Fortunately it's running well enough that I can still ride while waiting for the right emulsion tube. Well, other than...

Delay 6. I finally replaced the thumbwheel and all related parts on the throttle. But in putting it back together the ferrules on the throttle and idle cables decided "no mas" and threw up on their shoes. Amazingly Steel City Harley has them in stock. In fact, they have had all the parts I've needed either in stock or available. They just weren't open Sunday or yesterday. Even the relatively new counter person is surprised at what she has been able to find.

Now I have to find time to get it out to Smart Dave since every single gasket on the bike is leaking at this point.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:38 AM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
Leaky gaskets ..... That's whut started my build 9 years ago, no leaks since .... Cept for bad oil drain hose ��

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 10-17-2018, 02:25 PM
Confirmed Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxr4mikey View Post
Leaky gaskets ..... That's whut started my build 9 years ago, no leaks since .... Cept for bad oil drain hose ��
I'm pretty much there on build, CV, EV27, heads milled .005. If I can't get the exhaust leak plugged I may go thunderheader. In the meantime I'm catching up on parts that I've worn out like the bags, throttle sleeve and grips, front brake light switch, bolts and screws that have vibrated off...