Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Accessories
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Accessories Horns, Pegs, Guards, MP3, Sat. Radio, GPS, etc.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:55 PM
NaturalSelection lobbyist

Last Cigar Smoked: some cheap, dried out Cuban brand
Gummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sock
No Display On Radio (2007 RG)

So in the last few months of the riding season the radio display would sometimes disappear during a ride or not be present when first starting the bike. Two days before I winterised the bike (shut up, it's a Canadian thing) it quit altogether. All the thumb controls, radio bands and the CD still worked, I just had no visual reference about them on the screen anymore.

Flash forward to today. After a lament I made on an RG owners group of Facebook, it was suggested that the connector pins on the faceplate had probable lost contact over the years due to vibration and a quick cure was to remove the unit, clean the pins, carefully tweak them to ensure proper contact, then put it back together. So I did just that and noticed signs of corrosion on a few of the pins as I gently scoured them with 800 grit sandpaper. Put it all back together, then strapped on my snowshoes and trudged out to the shed with the battery, radio and booster cables to try it out.

Nope. Still no display, but all controls and features still worked fine. So, I have two options now; one of them is to send the radio to Iron Cross for an expensive repair/software upgrade and the other is to replace it with an aftermarket unit. Seeing as how I rarely played the CD and mostly used the radio for its clock feature, I figure I'll swap out the stock unit with a marine grade, waterproof Aquatic unit that, according to the trustworthy merchants of eBay, comes pre programmed for the bike and is a "plug and play" installation that retains all the thumb controls. Only problem is that it doesn't come with a clock feature. What the hell? Who makes electronic radios without clocks these days? Anyway, I figure I'll just get a handlebar mounted motorcycle clock to compensate. Did I mention I'm a cheap bastid?

Anyone who has an Aquatic unit on theor ride, please feel free to let me know what you think of it and if they're worth it. And for those of who who question my need for a clock on a bike, it's because I tend to get distracted and wander off my work commute on a beautiful riding day, I need a clock to snap me back to reality.

Arrrrrrrr, eh?!

Old 02-07-2017, 07:09 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
There are many options on aftermarket radios. Do an online search and you'll likely get some links for other places to research. Unless this Internet vendor has a good track record, I'd think twice before purchasing.

As for the Clock. Why not get a cheap mount for the handlebars and strap your cell phone on there for the clock ??

Kimber

Old 02-07-2017, 07:18 PM

Gummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
There are many options on aftermarket radios. Do an online search and you'll likely get some links for other places to research. Unless this Internet vendor has a good track record, I'd think twice before purchasing.

As for the Clock. Why not get a cheap mount for the handlebars and strap your cell phone on there for the clock ??
I've actually done some extensive searching and research in the last few weeks just in case I couldn't fix the stock unit myself. Based on my needs (ie: cheap, waterproof, no CD, plug n play) the Aquatic seems to be the best option.

I have a BlackBerry Passport, which is probably not the best smartphone to be perched on the handlebars. But while we're on the subject, my research has unveiled that apparently once the stock radio is disconnected the odometer has a clock feature. Apparently all FLH, FXD and FLS series have this feature since 2004, it's just that the stock radio disables it on the touring bikes. However, some aftermarket radios don't allow the odometer clock feature and the only way to find out is to install the unit and see what happens.

Arrrrrrrr, eh?!

Old 02-08-2017, 12:00 AM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
People still use BlackBerry? I thought RIMM went under a free years back.

I heard there is a Sony unit that retains all the handlebar control functions.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 02-08-2017, 05:19 AM

RIM botched a few new product launches, then sort of imploded and had a self confidence crisis. Now they pretty much just do software and subcontract their phone manufacturing. Sad story, really. I got hooked on DingleBerry several years ago and am just too iStubborn to iChange to something else.

Sony does have a unit, as does Kenwood, Clarion and others, but they are automotive in nature and come with an adapter kit which includes the necessary wiring and interface modules supplied by an aftermarket company. Problem is, none of them are waterproof and do not stand up to long term vibration. Kenwood has a marine grade unit for boats that some aftermarket bike stereo shops supply with the same adapter kit, but the reviews I've read were not favourable. The only brands I've found that get consistent high marks for longevity, reliability and quality are the stock Harmon Kardon units (expensive, even the used ones) and the Aquatic AV series.

Arrrrrrrr, eh?!

Old 02-08-2017, 06:23 AM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Ive had a Sony marine radio in for around 3 years now. When raining I have the splash shield on it, bit of a pain. I prefer it over the stock option for a 02.

If I'm reading you right you might be happier having Iron Cross fix the stock unit.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy View Post
If I'm reading you right you might be happier having Iron Cross fix the stock unit.
Only if the total cost is less than an Aquatic or similar replacement.

Arrrrrrrr, eh?!

Old 02-08-2017, 09:59 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
They generally charge $250.00 unless it is really cobbed up and then they discuss it with you.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 02-09-2017, 05:25 AM

Ok, thanks. I'll give them a call.

Arrrrrrrr, eh?!