Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Riders Clothing, Gear, Helmets, etc.
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 12-24-2013, 09:02 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Thumbs up Sena SMH10 upgrade

So I was reading a review of an upgrade speaker set. But it was $70 plus you had to buy the mounting base for earbuds to connect them. Also the earbud base had a reduced output compared to the standard base which really didn't give you more volume just a little better sound. So I thought "nope waste of money". Then I read in the comments with the review that the speakers were the same in THIS set of Koss home stereo headphones. So I bought them, removed the speakers, tossed the rest of the set and installed the speakers in my helmet.

WOW

what a difference, clean sound with great bass and no distortion all the way up to painful volume levels.

Simple to install the Sena wires are not coaxial so cutting, stripping and soldering is simple. The only real work was taking the liner out of the helmet for install.

If you use the Sena and like music this is a definite must do modification.

Separated at birth? You decide
Old 12-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Last Cigar Smoked: Romeo y Julieta Churchill
BillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Interesting. Might have to look into this as a winter project.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:29 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
So.....Remove speakers from headphones, cut wires, cut speakers off of Sena harness, strip, solder, shrink tube wires, rock out?

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 12-25-2013, 01:45 AM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer of Bikes View Post
So.....Remove speakers from headphones, cut wires, cut speakers off of Sena harness, strip, solder, shrink tube wires, rock out?
Pretty much, no shrink tube needed. Took me 10 minutes to do, most of which was getting the helmet liner in and out.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:02 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Sign me up!

I'll hafta do this.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 12-25-2013, 09:36 AM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Take pictures, Ricky!

So can I assume that you can also hook it up to the earbud base? Tell me more abut this "reduced output" you've heard about. When I use my earbuds with the earbud base it's way louder.

Nevermind, stoopid question. I was thinking like a d00f this morning.

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[

Last edited by Infidel!; 12-25-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:34 AM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Joe, did you remove the speakers from the Koss headset housings, or did you leave the housings intact and just snip the wires?
Old 04-13-2014, 03:11 PM
Double-D
The Mechanic

d j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I installed the Koss headphone speakers into my Arai helmet today.
I pulled the speaker pods off of the headband. Opened up the speaker pod and removed the speaker. I fit the speaker into the ear pocket of the cheek pad by removing a 1/2 dia by 1/4 inch deep recess out of the Styrofoam to fit the raised area at the back of the speaker. I left the foam cover off of the speaker as it sits behind the fabric of the cheek pad. Hot glued the speaker in place as well as the wire just off of the speaker to prevent strain at the speaker soldered connection.

The Arai helmet does not have enough room to use anything other than the raw speaker itself in the ear pocket.

I listened to the speaker as a complete headphone, complete speaker pod in the helmet, and the raw speaker. I have to say that I hear no degrade in sound quality or loudness. The helmet itself acts as a chamber for the bass.

Compared to the stock Sena speakers, the improvement is night and day. Well worth the effort to do this upgrade.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:08 PM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Last Cigar Smoked: Romeo y Julieta Churchill
BillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Pictures?

Old 04-13-2014, 05:08 PM
Double-D
The Mechanic

d j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Dang it, no. I guess I was hoping my eloquent words would paint the picture.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:03 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Sorry, I didn't respond before, been swamped at work since I got back from Puerto Vallarta.

Billy, give me a call and I'll walk you through it but DJs explanation will make sense once you have the headphones in hand.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:54 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I ordered these from Amazon. They've arrived, now to find the time to sit down and do the swap. I'll take a few pics!

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 04-20-2014, 08:09 PM
Double-D
The Mechanic

Tip,you have to unsolder the wires off of the Koss speakers as the wires used in the Koss' are some braided type.

The wire inside the Sena cable is two individual insulated wires you can strip back and tag to the Koss original solder pads.

The escution aound the Sena speaker can be broken to release the wire from it once it is removed from the housing by bending it back and forth a couple of times.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:06 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Good info, that.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 04-21-2014, 05:58 PM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
this thread/upgrade interest me .... greatly .....

I would like to know about the Koss speaker size, how do they compare with the stock Sena speaker size .... diameter and depth (thickness) ?

Thanks !!

States I've ridden my scoots in: