Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Riders Clothing, Gear, Helmets, etc.
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 06-09-2014, 01:34 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I finally did get a chance to ride today. The new speakers are a huge win over the Sena speakers. Even at high speeds, these will easily crank up far beyond a level I can tolerate.
There does not seem to be any issue with their placement for me in this lid. The Sena speakers were so 'pinpoint' in their output that their location was a real issue and I ended up angling them slightly by positioning them partly out of the 'cup' area. The Koss speakers (to me) don't seem to suffer the same effect.
Sound quality is very very good compared to the Sena speakers.

Now, the HK radio itself is a whole 'nuther problem.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 06-09-2014, 04:19 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I must be missing something then. Are your speakers in the cutouts with the cutout covers over them?

'Cause I can't hear a damn thing through mine if the bike's moving.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 06-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Stockman View Post
I must be missing something then. Are your speakers in the cutouts with the cutout covers over them?

'Cause I can't hear a damn thing through mine if the bike's moving.
we have Nolan N43-Triology helmets
there are speaker pockets in the helmet
I had to increase the diameter of the pocket for the Koss speaker, kept the pocket small enough so that the speakers would be a PRESS FIT so they would stay in place
there are no 'covers' over the speakers, other than the helmet liner

I haven't road tested the speakers yet, that will come today
However testing in the house with the intercom and on the bike with music there is a HUGE improvement over the Sena speakers

I don't anticipate any volume/quality problems up to 80mph ... I never go faster than that anyway but IF I did/do I make my own music so I don't need the speakers anyways........

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 06-09-2014, 09:15 AM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
I'll report after the road test later today

Old 06-09-2014, 10:12 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Mine are directly in the existing cup area as pictured above. I was really surprised that I didn't need to move them because I HAD to move the originals.
Yesterday, at ninety MPH and even with that Fat Cat howling at me I had no problem hearing the music and I could not turn it up all the way.

Curious as to your source, are you using the HD radio, or iPod or ?

I did try mine with the iPhone for music and it also was capable of way too loud at speed.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 06-09-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:27 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
OK, so you've got nothing between the speaker and your ear?

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 06-09-2014, 10:59 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

I don't think so. I'm not certain whether the last bit of padding that I snapped in had any effect on the speaker area. I'll see this evening.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 06-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Buffalo Hump

CWAP ! no road test today either so much chit to do around here before Sat ...... Hope to get a lil road time tomorrow

Old 07-15-2014, 03:32 PM
Double-D
Doof Gooner

Last Cigar Smoked: Bubble Gum
Redleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suck
Can I get a post-ES assessment from y'all on how the Sena rigs worked? I am thinking about getting either a 10 or going full out for a 20.

"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out there having fun on motorcycles. It makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen
Old 07-15-2014, 11:35 PM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Just spent 10 days with the 20s. Totally unimpressed and completely frustrated with them. The SMH10 works great.

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 07-16-2014, 05:53 AM
Double-D
Doof Gooner

Last Cigar Smoked: Bubble Gum
Redleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel! View Post
Just spent 10 days with the 20s. Totally unimpressed and completely frustrated with them. The SMH10 works great.
Thanks for the feedback. Had pretty much decided upon the 10 based on price/availability over the 20, but this helps.

"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out there having fun on motorcycles. It makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen
Old 07-16-2014, 06:38 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel! View Post
Would like to hear more

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 08-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Airhead

Ken R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steak
Sena 20Ss have some issues. They were so frustrating to use by the four of us on our camping trip. Too many issues to describe here. I got their VP of marketing's email and sent him a detailed letter describing our 15 major issues. He wrote back thanking me.

finally, their tech support wrote me the other day that a big firmware upgrade was coming in a few weeks.

I'm anxious to get it. They have many things to fix to make their users happy. But I think they'll get it right.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I upgraded the speakers in my Sena today.

mrs. o commandeered the set of Koss headphones I was gonna use for speakers, so I ordered a set of Tork X-Pro speaker elements, without wiring. $60 shipped for the pair.

My concern was speaker ohm-age. The Tork speakers match the Sena specs exactly. The Kosses were slightly different. Prolly don't make a bit of difference, so I over-thought it anyway.

Besides, I'm all snooty and stuff and love overpaying for doodads......

Anyway, the swap was easy-peasy. I basically de-soldered the Sena wires from the old speakers with my soldering gun, stripped off just a bit more insulation, and did as d j described, just a dab of solder on the soldering iron and joined the parts together.

Half hour tops, start to finish.

The bench was full of hot-to-touch soldering devices and all the junk that goes with 'em!

Sound quality is much improved, in static running-around-the-garage-with-my-hat-on tests at least. All I had to do was tweak speaker location in the helmet's ear cut outs.

Road tests to follow.......