Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > Remodeling or Building
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Remodeling or Building Got a project going or finished... Got a question...

Old 12-30-2012, 01:29 AM
Double-D
I am Doof

Bluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milk
Would be a rant about "electrician" ability but whatever...

Today I begin to install my new transfer switch for the generator and first thing I have to do is rewire the birds nest in the existing circuit box. It was disgustingly messy when they installed it, presumably when the house was new. The circuit box itself was attached with three 1"x4" wood boards nailed to the studs with roofing nails and no insulation behind them.
I insulated and added vapor barrier before I slid the 1/2" plywood behind it to mount the box properly.
It just wasn't tidy, white and ground wires were way too long and wrapped in with the black wires and all of it was half ass.
Found a black wire that the insulation was stripped off about an inch when the sheath was cut off. I taped it up.
The big deal is that when I moved the ground and white wires from one grounding block to the grounding block on the other side because the black wire was on the opposite bank of breakers. Kind of an OCD thing maybe.
It just looked bad for wires to be all willy nilly.
Problem was, when I did that, all of a sudden the circuits began to act weird.
Traced it to be a ground problem.
The left side grounding block was grounded through the wiring circuit that I moved, and was no longer grounded afterwards. All the circuits on that side was backfeeding through wherever the one wire went to.
The reason I found for the problem was sheer stupidity on the installer's part.
It has been this way since it was new.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356848615.804400.jpg

The bonding lug was not attached!
Only the block that the service supply wire was attached to was actually right, the other one (left side) wasn't. I dismantled all the wires to get to the lug and made it right.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356848813.071341.jpg

And the result, I still needed to finish the transfer switch wires when I took this pic

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356848915.455236.jpg

Last edited by Bluetoys; 12-30-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:39 AM
Somewhat Bionic

Last Cigar Smoked: Hoyo De Monterrey Robusto
Big Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
How much bite did you get on the lug under the screw? Looks short....

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting '..holy sh*t ....what a ride!' - George Carlin

Old 12-30-2012, 07:04 AM
Above Average DDude

Last Cigar Smoked: A. Fuente, Curly Head
YankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sock
Electricity is like p*ssy. Unless you know what you are doing, don't f*ck with it.

Good catch. I'm glad all turned out well without toasting anything.

Sh!t doesn't stink unless ya' poke it!

Deut 23:12-13 (How to sh!t in the woods)
Old 12-30-2012, 07:45 AM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'm not an electrician, but I'd venture a guess the box in that first pic never saw an inspector. And it was original to the construction?

I opened the panel here for something shortly after we moved in. I found a GFI breaker w/ a broken retainer clip lying in the bottom, w/ the neutral still wired into a circuit...nothing on the load side. The neutral from the new breaker was ganged w/ the neutral on the GFI.

I guess whoever it was didn't want to drop >$20 on the right part, so they just put a regular 20A in it's place and assumed by leaving the GFI w/ no load across it in there everything'd still work as advertised.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto

Last edited by TalonChief; 12-30-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:58 AM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
I think many electricians are lazy/sloppy by trade/nature .... at least that's the impression I get when I look inside most distribution panels.

My OCD really comes out every time I open one .... I can't stand to see everything loaded up on one side and ground/neutral wires running all over the place, 3 times longer than necessary, or two loads on one breaker, WTF ..... why can't they run them in, say they start at the top, then just keep dressing them down the side..... and run both sides, wires all running a lil past each breaker, bend back up 90 degree to the breaker and ground/neutral lug, this leaves room for changes later, balanced out ...

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 12-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxr4mikey View Post
I think many electricians are lazy/sloppy by trade/nature .... at least that's the impression I get when I look inside most distribution panels.
I don't get in too many, but I see more often than not crisp 90* bends and all wires cut to nominal length.

I remember houses from the '20-'40s as a kid that looked like Matt's, but haven't seen one recently. His reminds me of the self-help wiring I found in the add-on garage in my house in Valdosta. What's a junction box and splices?

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 12-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
well, ok, you give me pause to reflect..... recently I did some work for someone, and I admit, the box didn't look bad at all..... maybe I was just remembering all the rats nests that I've found in the long ago past

Old 12-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Trash

Last Cigar Smoked: The one in the ash tray
noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
I didn't read much but I looked at the pictures twice~

®
Old 12-30-2012, 10:02 AM
I Like Dirt...!

Last Cigar Smoked: BubbleGum
Xkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suck
here's what happens on new residential construction...the GC wants to make a lot of money, and spend as little as possible on the subs...
as long as stuff passes inspection, he doesnt care...
He designated a certain amount for the basic electrical, and a lot of experienced electricians wont work for minimum wages, so the job often goes to the less experienced...

Some Mornings I Wake Up Grouchy.....others, I Let Her Sleep

Old 12-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Buffalo Hump

sounds right .... makes perfect sense ... now that you've explained it ..

Old 12-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Double-D
Dr. of Doof

OKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xkvator View Post
here's what happens on new residential construction...the GC wants to make a lot of money, and spend as little as possible on the subs...
as long as stuff passes inspection, he doesnt care...
He designated a certain amount for the basic electrical, and a lot of experienced electricians wont work for minimum wages, so the job often goes to the less experienced...
This is correct. I have a house built for us in 2005. Wiring looked just as bad. Had MY electrician come out and clean things up.

Bob

D.F.F.D.

/Users/rleonard12/Desktop/star-trek-expendability.jpg
Old 12-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Trash

Last Cigar Smoked: The one in the ash tray
noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKC Fatboy View Post
This is correct. I have a house built for us in 2005. Wiring looked just as bad. Had MY electrician come out and clean things up.

Bob
I think I know him~

®
Old 12-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Double-D
I am Doof

Bluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cheese View Post
How much bite did you get on the lug under the screw? Looks short....
It didn't seem short, the screw had plenty of bite. There was only one way of doing it that I could see. Well, two - this way or not at all.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Dirty Dirk, Canadian Doof

DAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milk
One thing to keep in mind, is that the bonding screw/strap needs to be established on the incoming service only! Any sub distribution down stream needs the bonding screw/strap lifted....
How you guys treat the neutral and ground terminal bars is a little funky for me.

Dirk
Old 12-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xkvator View Post
....He designated a certain amount for the basic electrical, and a lot of experienced electricians wont work for minimum wages, so the job often goes to the less experienced...
Many if not most of the trades in new construction are subs. They generally are doing jobs on a flat rate contract with the amount based on the various models. The quicker they can get the job done, the quicker they can move on to the next house, the more money they can make. If they can minimize material usage, that's a few more bucks they can pick up.

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me