Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > TroubleHead Garage (Geno's Place)
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

TroubleHead Garage (Geno's Place) Evo's , Shovels, Pans, and anything else...

Old 07-20-2016, 01:38 PM
n00b

Last Cigar Smoked: Macanudo
257bob has failed to amuse us
1993 FLHS: Can I pick Your Brains?

I impulsively bought the bike the other day. Has 98,000 miles on it, rode it 130 miles home. Seems to run OK, but the motor shakes like a dog passing a peach seed at idle and is rough at all but a few narrow areas on the tach. It also feels unpredictable in corners and rides like an overloaded oil tanker.

I bought the bike knowing it would need some work and I think front motor mount and swingarm isolators will be the first step. I plan on using OEM style parts as I don't want to spend big bucks on this thing until I know the bike a little better.

So I have a couple questions;

Where is the best place to get a service manual, Clymer or Haynes OK? What about a parts breakdown?

Where do you guys source parts for older bikes? J&P seems to have a fair bit of stuff but the website is cumbersome. Any on line stores have a fiche? Do you use dealerships?

The bike has an S&S Super E on it, which seems to work fine. I also have the stock carb. What's the advantage of one over the other?

I plan to put stock mufflers back on in favor of the V&H slipons, as well as remove the hypercharger and go with the stock cover or S&S teardrop; I will ride in the rain and I don't like loud pipes.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2016, 02:35 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Swing arm bushings / shaft need lubing or rebuilding?

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 07-20-2016, 02:55 PM
Pompous Prick

Last Cigar Smoked: Punch maduro
Slick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milk
I'm in the long process of rebuilding a 1980 H0nda CB750 and the dealer websites all have links to parts diagrams. If a part I need is discontinued I use the part number in an eBay search. I've found lots of old original original parts that way. Don't know if the mothership operates the same way

Curt

Old 07-20-2016, 03:12 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Sounds like motor mounts and swing arm or swing arm bushings is the first job. That will help several of you problems.

How are the shocks and front forks? Do you have good spring back?

Somebody smarter than me will be along to discuss carburetors and such. A lot of that will be personal choice in some instances. What are you comfortable working on/adjusting on the side of the road?

I'd want to check and change plugs and all fluids just so you have a baseline.

Mufflers and sound are another personal choice issue unless you have a matching flow issue between the carb and the exhaust.

Air in and air out is the mantra for these big air pumps.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 07-20-2016, 03:32 PM
Pompous Prick

Last Cigar Smoked: Punch maduro
Slick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milk
Or tahrs. Make sure you have good tahrs.

PS: they call em tyres in Canukistan and tires in 'Murica

Curt

Old 07-21-2016, 08:28 AM
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Butte View Post
Swing arm bushings / shaft need lubing or rebuilding?
No idea; I was thinking I ought to pull the whole thing apart and have a look.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:29 AM
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
I'm in the long process of rebuilding a 1980 H0nda CB750 and the dealer websites all have links to parts diagrams. If a part I need is discontinued I use the part number in an eBay search. I've found lots of old original original parts that way. Don't know if the mothership operates the same way
I didn't even think of looking at dealer websites, thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:35 AM
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero View Post
Sounds like motor mounts and swing arm or swing arm bushings is the first job. That will help several of you problems.

How are the shocks and front forks? Do you have good spring back?

Somebody smarter than me will be along to discuss carburetors and such. A lot of that will be personal choice in some instances. What are you comfortable working on/adjusting on the side of the road?

I'd want to check and change plugs and all fluids just so you have a baseline.

Mufflers and sound are another personal choice issue unless you have a matching flow issue between the carb and the exhaust.

Air in and air out is the mantra for these big air pumps.
Shocks and forks seem to absorb bumps OK so I'll probably leave them until I get some of the other stuff sorted.

Fluids and plugs will all get changed along with the clutch cable which has some broken wires at the lever end and a rotten adjuster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Or tahrs. Make sure you have good tahrs.

PS: they call em tyres in Canukistan and tires in 'Murica
A new set of E3's will go on; it has a mismatched set of old looking tires on it right now. I can check bearings and seals at the same time.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:36 AM
n00b

Found the multi-quote function...
Old 08-02-2016, 08:33 AM
n00b

Got the stock muffs back on; between that and removing the turbulence generator (windshield) the bike is much more pleasant to ride.

I have never owned an S&S carburetor. The PO told me it didn't have a choke and showed me a "special technique" he used with the throttle to get it started. That seemed weird, but WTH. I was looking things over the other day and noticed a little device that looked quite a lot like a enrichment device. Next time I started it cold I pulled it up and latched it; BOOM! Started right up and ran at a fast idle like a champ.

The front brake switch appears not to work and I need to get to those engine/swingarm mounts.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:56 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Yeah no choke, but an enrichment device.

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 08-02-2016, 04:24 PM
Harry The M

Last Cigar Smoked: Spare Tire
Harry The M is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarry The M is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarry The M is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarry The M is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarry The M is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarry The M is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarry The M is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarry The M is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarry The M is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarry The M is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarry The M is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Try Ronnies Harley Davidson Parts and Service manuals can be order at HD dealers or flea bay!!!!!

Old 12-24-2016, 02:40 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
Sounds like it's coming along just fine. Keep us posted please.
OH yea what year is it again?

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Old 12-24-2016, 03:25 PM
Double-D

BigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynageno View Post

I think it was sometime in the early 90's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2007
gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2015
Old 12-24-2016, 09:07 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynageno View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTOE View Post
I think it was sometime in the early 90's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan