Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > BMW
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

BMW Bikes that are engineered to be ridden... just sayin'...

Old 05-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
R1200GS Adventure riding impressions

Well I've got about a thousand miles on Helga, and I figured I'd post some musings.

All the good stuff I said about the RT transfers to this bike. Let's start with the powertrain, shall we?

I freaking love the Camhead Boxer with all my body, including my pee-pee. It's a great engine that makes (generally) awful sounds but feels great (think Kim Cattrall in Porky's). It's got a poopload of torque, and a reasonably linear power curve that makes for ridiculous fun on winding roads. It's aided and abetted by a lower final drive ratio and a lower 1st gear ratio than the RT. It adds a little more buzz at highway speeds, but it's a freaking rocket off the line and out of a corner. Power-on wheelies are almost too easy. The sound quality is better than the RT. I have no clue why, but it sounds throatier and less tractor-like. It sounds, dare I say it, almost like a real motorcycle.

The riding position is more upright than the RT. There's virtually no weight on my wrists, and no issues with my back. Less knee angle too, which is nice. The seat is a vivd reminder of how cruel the Germans can be. No fooling, the stock seat should be used on the residents of Gitmo. The controls fall easily to hand, with turn signals on the left and right controls as God intended them. Unfortunately, there's a button on the right to cancel them. For whatever reason, Harley remains the only motorcycle manufacturer on the planet than can make a decent self-cancelling turn signal.

The ESA suspension is really a wonderful thing. Preload choices expand to 5, damping remains at 3. "Comfort" has the bike floating over everything. "Normal" is a touch softer than I'd prefer, as is "Sport". But it's damn good for a one-size-fits-all solution. There's over 8" of suspension travel, and that pays HUGE dividends over rough stuff. It's not quite as buttoned-down in the twisties as the RT, but then again my toes aren't dragging the ground in corners anymore. With a proper Ohlins suspension, I have to believe there isn't much that'd catch this bike on a winding mountain road.

Though the passenger seating seems a bit spartan, Dana reports that she's completely comfortable back there.

All in all, so far so good. I'm more comfortable, and the bike's way more fun. Should have listened to my wife and bought the damn Adventure from the get-go.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 05-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Double-D

DaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milk
Nice report, Russ. I still want one.

Ich bin Sven Hoek.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:25 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Thorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sock
Listen Russ...Listen to your smart wifey. Nice write up.

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms." "Gimme back, gimme back my bullets"

Old 05-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Trash

Last Cigar Smoked: The one in the ash tray
noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Pee-Pee?..
(no pictures Please!)

®
Old 05-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Trash

noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Hey....

®

Last edited by noodles; 05-20-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:17 PM
Trash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NngElIbTboU&sns=em

®
Old 05-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: Fuentes Fuentes Opus X Le Chateau
J.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'm sure it's a great report...

Unfortunately, I had to stop reading once you mentioned your pee pee.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Confirmed Luddite

Last Cigar Smoked: Snack Pack Tapioca
Uesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
For whatever reason, Harley remains the only motorcycle manufacturer on the planet than can make a decent self-cancelling turn signal.
Considering it wasn't until 1991 that they made a turn signal that stayed on without holding the button in, they've come a long way.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Got me lusting for a Boxer now.

Bastage!!

Meng

TKWSV

Old 05-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
Got me lusting for a Boxer now.

Bastage!!
It really is a great engine. 6,000 mile maintenance intervals, a vertically-mounted oil filter, simple valve checks, great powerband, decent fuel efficiency, and it's got a great feel.

Maybe one of these would suit you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BMW_R-1200-CL,_2006.jpg (75.2 KB, 116 views)

Old 05-21-2012, 12:00 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
geezer would look stupid in your costume
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 05-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippsy View Post
geezer would look stupid in your costume

Kimber

Old 05-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck

What in the hell is that? Was an Ultra intimate with a 1600GT

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Last edited by Scabbydoo; 05-21-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Double-D
Doof Gooner

Last Cigar Smoked: Bubble Gum
Redleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scabbydoo View Post

What in the hell is that? Was an Ultra intimate with a 1600GT

"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out there having fun on motorcycles. It makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen
Old 05-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Rode in 90 degree sunshine today with high humidity. Plenty of airflow around the windshield and tank, even with my fancy-schmancy Rallye suit on. Got a Touratech LDC seat and 1" risers on, which make for a much better riding position. The LDC is firm like a Corbin, and is a pleasure to ride on.

For whatever reason, this bike feels much quicker and smoother than the RT. The transmission is super-slick.