Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Ask The Techs...
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Ask The Techs... This is the way it works. Post up your question in the appropriate Forum, then put a link to it here. We'll ask some very savvy folks to monitor the posts here and answer your question. If you are a Tech answering a question, please do it in the linked thread rather than here. In this way, we can build info in the appropriate Forum. Thanks.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:55 AM
Airhead

Ken R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steak
Bring that foot over any time it gives you a problem. I need some practice TIGing Titanium! I'll practice on your foot before taking on repair of my cracked Titanium bicycle frame.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:38 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Sounds like a great deal.

Yep a lot like oxy acetylene welding, IIRC the torch head is held at a different angle?
Just not all the fun of hot metal spitting all over the place.

They still don't make clothes hangers out of quality steel welding rod??? LOL

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 01-16-2016, 02:37 PM
Airhead

Ken R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steak
Here's where I'm getting my TIG welding training.

There, and down in my workshop.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:13 AM
Head Doof Server Geek

Psychoholic can happily embrace the suckPsychoholic can happily embrace the suckPsychoholic can happily embrace the suckPsychoholic can happily embrace the suckPsychoholic can happily embrace the suckPsychoholic can happily embrace the suckPsychoholic can happily embrace the suckPsychoholic can happily embrace the suckPsychoholic can happily embrace the suckPsychoholic can happily embrace the suckPsychoholic can happily embrace the suck
In my attempt to get into Tig welding I once bought a Longevity welder (they use the same manufacturer as Eastwood) and it worked fine for a while. Nothing special and didn't do anything particularly good but wasn't terrible. Use pure Argon, don't get creative. If you are tig welding and the application doesn't need anything special just use argon.

If you're welding stainless, make sure you are backpurging.

After I started leaning on the welder pretty hard (btw, the pedal is not a binary pedal, so it will give you different amounts of amperage depending on how much pedal you give it - took me a while to discover this very important detail when teaching myself how to weld) it just quit working one day. I tried to send it back to them for repairs but they said it would be $100 just to open the case. Sooooo I bought a big Miller Syncrowave 180 from a buddy. My Longveity is in a box under a bench at the shop now because I refuse to give them the money to fix it or even look at it.

For your uses I think you'll be good. Remember that in the world of welders there is definitely a truth to 'you get what you pay for' and the big boys (Miller, Lincoln, etc...) are what you see on trucks and in shops that do it all the time.

Harley is SOLD.

Street Bike.

'14 Road King