Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > The Attic > MotoCamping
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

MotoCamping A forum where we swap campground reviews, trip reports, equipment reviews, bike packing, safety, NF, SF, State and National Park reviews, blahblahblah...

Old 02-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

PeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Gear review-REI Half Dome.

I have used this tent for 2 years. For motocamping it is excellent. Quick to set up, simple enough to do in the dark and rolls up very tight and light. The tent breathes well in the summer and has enough room for 2 adults of the oposite sex. The rainfly is warm in the fall and spring and dry in the rain. The fly has a small awning you can secure gear under and zip up out of view. I highly recommend this for packing on a motorcycle, fits nice in a saddle bag or tourpack.
http://www.rei.com/product/794296

and I hear this is the cats meow for motocamping but at 6'4" I dont think its for me.

http://www.rei.com/product/761891
Old 02-19-2010, 09:09 AM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
That REI Half Dome 2 Plus Tent you use looks like a nice tent, Dave.

I notice that there are several versions of the REI Half Dome now, but I can testify for the good quality of REI Half Domes. I have the original version of it; there was only one version at the time and its ~15 yrs old. Its still in excellent shape, though, and its been through high winds, and flash floods while backpacking. Mine, is somewhat larger than the model that Peacekeeper has posted, and I don't think it will fit in the tourpack.

For motocamping, I use the MSR Hubba Tent (1 person) below; I bought it a couple of years ago. Its an ultra light backpacker's tent (weighs less than 3 lbs) and packs down real small. It will easily fit in a saddlebag or tourpack.

I'm 5'10" and its got enough room for me and a good bit of gear inside. The tent is tall enough to sit up in to get dressed. MSR is excellent quality in a tent too. Its been through an all out downpour while motocamping in the Ozark Ntl Forest in northern Arkansas a couple of years ago, and the rain fly works great.

You can pitch this tent in approximately one minute. It breaks down and packs very easily too.

http://www.rei.com/product/781505

Old 02-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

PeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
I like that a lot! How small does it pack down?
Old 02-19-2010, 09:43 AM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper View Post
I like that a lot! How small does it pack down?
The specs state: "Packed size 6 x 20 inches". That's probably overstated a little. I think I can pack it down to like 5" diameter even if I roll up the footprint base, stakes, pole, and rain fly with it.

I always use the footprint with the tent, but you have to buy that seperately. Without it, you ruin the bottom of any tent very quickly,... and these ultra lights are too expensive to abuse.

Another requirement (for me anyway) is that a tent be freestanding. A freestanding tent doesn't require stakes. Much easier to deal with, and you have many more options. Your REI Half Dome is a freestanding tent.

Last edited by thrasher; 02-19-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

Yea, I like that, just pick up and move it where ever. Did that at Lizzard Creek to get a better view of the hotties in the camp next to us. They werent into guys, obviously, but they did give me and Bob quite a show one night! They knew it too!
Old 02-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Double-D

huckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper View Post
Did that at Lizzard Creek to get a better view of the hotties in the camp next to us. They werent into guys
fuzz bumpers?

Old 02-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckinfog View Post
fuzz bumpers?
Yup....that they were..
Old 06-17-2012, 09:25 AM
really small member

BrownSanta has failed to amuse us
lol

2011 HD FLHX103 - HD LED Headlamp, HD Adjustable Rider Backrest, HD Tri-Bar upgrade, HD Passenger Backrest with 4 point dock, HD Cup holder, HD Edgecut grips and pegs, HD Fairing Pouch, Klockwerks Windshield, Garmin Zumo 665, S/E Heavy Breather, V&H 2-1 High Output Pro-Pipe, Dynojet PowerVision from FuelMoto, Ohlins 3-3 Touring Shocks