Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Seats, Saddles, Pillions, Backrests, Luggage Racks & Paks
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 04-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Double-D
I am Doof

Bluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milk
Easy Brackets

Does anyone have any comments about buying from this eBay seller, or a suggestion for a better place to buy easy brackets for my FXDBI?
I need #DNA-L2DB
I am thinking about buying from >this guy< $144.95 no shipping cost.

I am gonna use the soft bags I have here. What would it take to set up street glide bags on my Bob? Hmmm...

Old 04-21-2008, 08:56 PM
GrayRider

Don't know about the seller, but know the product.

I bought them for my Wide Glide a few years ago. Took them back immediately. They're big, bulky, heavy and they recommended using a 2X4 block of wood as a spacer on some bag models.

I made my own set up.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:59 PM
KTWillys

Blue,,,,,, I saw the Easy bracket at Street Vibrations in Reno a few years back and they are the same as the Ghost brackets and I was not impressed with either for quality or what they did.. they seemed to stick out a long ways and i didnt think they looked very good..

Still seemed to do what they said they would do....
Old 04-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Had a set on my softail holding a pair of Spider's bags from leatherconnexion.com. They work, but they have drawbacks as Gray said. I found the locks to be cheap and temperamental. The way the bracket slides into the groove on the mounting studs makes for a somewhat shaky installation. They appear to noticeably stick off the bike too.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 04-21-2008, 09:24 PM
R.I.P.
<--- Captain Itch!

Red Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I don't know about the brackets for your bike, but I fabricated my own for about $10.

'Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.' - William Penn

I want to live and ride free, unencumbered by all but God's love.
'06' FLSTNI, $43 per gallon!

Old 04-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Double-D
I am Doof

Bluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milk
ok.
yeah, I was concerned about the sleekness of the brackets. I too am not liking that they stick out so far, but the removable feature is what I really want. I want to be ably to strip the bike down to the solo look that I bought the bike for. (when I am not riding a long distance and need the carrying capacity)
I was thinking of fabricating a flat bracket that could be held in place by the removable backrest bracket, but that wouldn't work well when set-up for solo riding (street glide-ish) I can just use the bags I have as throw-overs, but they never seem to stay in place very well and they look like crap with the yoke.
Maybe having two set-ups is what I need.
  • The flat plate that goes between the backrest bracket and the fender supports (rubber protected) with proper size holes that just slip over the posts.
  • One that mounts the same way as the backrest. It would have the slot in the front and the lock/clamp for the rear. I should be able to buy just the locking clamp from my dealer
What you guys think about this plan?

Old 04-21-2008, 09:37 PM
The Molenator

CDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Would you be using the backrest with the bags?

I saw somewhere on another forum where someone had just used a detachable backrest hardware and mounted them so the hung down. He think rigidly mounted his bags to them. I'm not sure how that would work with keeping the bags from rubbing, but he said he didn't have a problem.

Clint
Bikeless

I'm a Doof, and Damn Proud of it!

Old 04-21-2008, 09:50 PM
GrayRider

I bought H-D bolt on saddlebags. I relocated the turn signals.

The bags come with 4 spacers for the fender struts. I had a machine shop make new spacers, the exact size, out of 1/2 stainless round stock. They drilled and tapped them with a 5/16" thread and chromed them. An all-thread coupling from a hardware store will work also.

I used (4) 5/16" bolts and ran them through the struts from the inside out and tightened the new spacers to the struts.

The bags now quickly bolt to the new spacers with an allen wrench. When they're off, I stick chrome caps in the threads. They can be purchased at the Harley shop.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:01 PM
The Molenator

CDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
I'm too lazy...how much for you to make me a set?

Clint
Bikeless

Old 04-21-2008, 10:02 PM
GrayRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDouthitt View Post
I'm too lazy...how much for you to make me a set?
I normally get $5500...for you, ...half that.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:05 PM
The Molenator

and the Piss?

Clint
Bikeless

Old 04-21-2008, 10:09 PM
GrayRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDouthitt View Post
and the Piss?
I sent it already..perhaps it evaporated in the Michigan heat.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:02 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Original Cat Herder KC.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Spit it out it ain't yers

KICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayRider View Post
I sent it already..perhaps it evaporated in the Michigan heat.
He should have bought mine
F
F
B
Old 04-21-2008, 11:31 PM
8-Ball

Blue... check out www.bossbags.com

http://www.bossbags.com/31inst.html

I don't know if they sell their hardware separately, but I installed a set of their bags on my sister's Sporty and they were real clean, unobtrusive when the bags aren't on the bike and they are quick detach (at least with their bags)...

Cleanest setup I've seen.

We had previously used the Ghost Brackets and they are crap...

I think you could get them for less than $2,750... just sayin'...