Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 10-23-2008, 02:31 PM
GrayRider

Tom, flhpi-ohio has done it. He had a MM EFI though.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:20 PM
8-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasilva View Post
Mike, search down the street. Several guys there have done it and somebody, it may be Headquarters has a comprehensive list of what is needed and what will work for the swap.
skimmer....

I used their list as a basis for my worksheet... theirs' wasn't specific enough, nor did it list prices... or get into the options of carbs, coils, petcocks, etc...

I got the link to the outlaws from them too...
Old 10-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Here is the parts list as HQ listed for Delphi conversion.

1) 16315-99 top engine mount
1) 69123-92 horn mount
1) 61163-02 spacer
1) 3775 bolt
1) 27613-99 intake manifold for CV40 (zanotti's
2) 26995-86B intake manifold seals
1) 27002-89 seal, carb to manifold
1) carb (take your choice, CV40 or 44. Mikuni HSR42 or 45)
1) 29229-88C enrichment cable
1) 29313-95 gasket
1) 32435-02 wiring harness, ignition
1) 31655-99 ignition coil
1) HQ-6100 (1999-03) 0r HQ-6104 (2004-up) ignition module
1) 38723-99 retaining clip, MAP sensor
1) 68042-99 screw
2) 1004 clamps
1) 26574-99 vacuum hose
1) 61402-02 gasket, sending unit
1) 11323 o-ring,tank to tank adapter
1) 61338-02 fuel valve body (Pingel preferred)
1) 62172-02 gasket, fuel valve
1) 62161-02 nut, fuel valve
1) 62170-02 filter, fuel valve (Pingel preferred)
1) 62842-00 adapter, fuel valve to tank (Pingel preferred)
1ft) fuel line
1ft) 62555-95 insulator ( 5/8 plastic loom)
Old 10-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
I've read of the daytona failures as well... but added them to the pdf... updated as of this post.
I have a compu-fire ignition system ...... it has, like all these after market ignition systems, adjustable advance curves, and rev limiter

I put mine in in June this year and have about 10K miles on it. As of right now, I wouldn't part with it or swap it for another brand.

Compu-fire is also less expensive than some of the other brand names mentioned

my 2$ worth

you're welcome

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 10-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Casaba

this should be a rather interesting thread to follow to say the least. At this point I almost wanna ask why not sell the bike and buy a carbed bike a bit older?
Old 10-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
What controls the speedometer... I thought the ECM controls certain aspects... is this picked up by the ignition module? and if so... any ignition module?

Thanks man...!!!
Mike - I could easily be in over my head, as you know I have an EVO ...... so for what this is worth

The speedo is picked up off the tranny, has nothing to do with ignition. I would suspect that yours is also. This reduces the mechanical components in the speedo system as it is a magnetic pickup sig off the tranny that is sent up the cable to the speedo

if you have a tach on your bike, or plan to add one, you will need to make sure that your ignition wiring (coil hookup) has the correct feed for your tach.

On the EVO, the stock sys uses a dual fire system (both cylinders get a spark every cycle). So the signal that is sent to the tach has to be such that it only reads HALF of the firing sequence in order to correctly indicate the RPMs of the engine.

Conversion to single fire (only one cylinder fires on each cycle) so you are now only getting HALF the pulsed from your coil and you need to feed the tach from the center post of the single fire coil

or something like that

Old 10-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Buffalo Hump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casaba View Post
this should be a rather interesting thread to follow to say the least. At this point I almost wanna ask why not sell the bike and buy a carbed bike a bit older?
an FXR would be a daum good choice !!!

Old 10-23-2008, 03:51 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I ran my tach (rk) off the pink wire on the harness.
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 10-23-2008, 03:57 PM
8-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxr4mikey View Post
Mike - I could easily be in over my head, as you know I have an EVO ...... so for what this is worth

The speedo is picked up off the tranny, has nothing to do with ignition. I would suspect that yours is also. This reduces the mechanical components in the speedo system as it is a magnetic pickup sig off the tranny that is sent up the cable to the speedo

if you have a tach on your bike, or plan to add one, you will need to make sure that your ignition wiring (coil hookup) has the correct feed for your tach.

On the EVO, the stock sys uses a dual fire system (both cylinders get a spark every cycle). So the signal that is sent to the tach has to be such that it only reads HALF of the firing sequence in order to correctly indicate the RPMs of the engine.

Conversion to single fire (only one cylinder fires on each cycle) so you are now only getting HALF the pulsed from your coil and you need to feed the tach from the center post of the single fire coil

or something like that
Thanks for the input, Mikey... I don't think anything translates over to the '04 and later twin cams though...

I check Compu-Fire... nothing... the '04 and later twin cam uses the speed sensor to run the speedo, signals, and other crap I haven't figured out yet... basically, a mini ECM inside the ignition to do basic housekeeping stuff...

I'd think about an FXR except for that pesky bolt problem... a guy shouldn't have to travel thousands of miles to find someone who can remove it... too similar to finding a guy who can tune an EFI...
Old 10-23-2008, 03:58 PM
8-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kflhr View Post
I ran my tach (rk) off the pink wire on the harness.
doesn't everyone...
Old 10-23-2008, 04:03 PM
GrayRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casaba View Post
With over 40 grand invested, he's trying to make it an even 50.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
I have a 2003 Electra Glide. The tanks are the same. There's an adapter screwed into the bung of the tank for the petcock. Remove the fuel pump and you have a carb tank.

re.
So do FI tanks really hold 5 gallons? The fuel pump is small, but would throw it off a little.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Buffalo Hump

Quote:
Thanks for the input,

I'd think about an FXR except for that pesky bolt problem... a guy shouldn't have to travel thousands of miles to find someone who can remove it... too similar to finding a guy who can tune an EFI...

seems we all have our lil problems

Old 10-23-2008, 04:45 PM
8-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
I've put 5.1 in my tank
so have I....

I coasted in...
Old 10-23-2008, 05:52 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
doesn't everyone...
busted skimming.........
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty