Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Brakes, Rotors & Calipers
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 02-17-2018, 04:37 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
Recall

So who all here is getting ready to deal with the ABS/fluid flush debacle? I will probably have a dealer do it but I have mixed thoughts about it. Since when that particular (Chinese manufactured) HCU fails you don't just lose ABS but actually lose normal braking also, I don't know as I trust it even after the prescribed activation/flush the recall will do.

Considering reverting it back to non-abs. It was an option on mine and the non-abs line assemblies ($$) are readily available. Or, pop for a new HCU ($$$) and either pay a dealer for the Digital Tech flush or also pop for a DTT and do it myself when I want.

Thoughts?
Old 02-17-2018, 07:59 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
My bike is in the range, but have not received anything from the mothership just yet.

We flushed the fluid about a year ago in a buddies shop. He commented that for the age, it was remarkably clear. He has a system that activates and tests the ABS, so I'm good.

Doubt very seriously that I'd let HD touch it. Recall or not.

Kimber

Old 02-17-2018, 10:07 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Yeah I am torn about the dealer doing it, if they really can.

Because at most factory dealers you have to sacrifice a calf and burn the entrails on the pyre to just glance in the shop doors when they swing open a crack.

Mine is not in the recall years, but time wise it is due, but I may just suck the reservoirs dry with the fluid syringe thingy and top up and then bleed the system in the "normal" manner.

If the HCU does fail, you basically have standard brakes with a cool fault light glowing at you.

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 02-23-2018, 04:06 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
Got my recall letter today. Still undecided as to what I'm going to do.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:21 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Then there is the nagging fear they may accidentally spill some DOT 4 on the paint.

Yeah, I'm full of all kinds of happy thoughts...

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 03-15-2018, 03:11 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Well, I went to Joplin and had the recall flush done today. Took an hour. Mechanic came out and told me the HCU functioned perfectly during the procedure and my fluid and master cylinders were spotless when they started. Should be, I change fluid fairly often.

So during, I was BS'ing with the service manager and mentioned that as far as I was concerned since they have now done the procedure that if the ABS fails in the future it's on the moco's dime.

You know he wasn't very impressed with my logic on that subject.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:16 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Strange every time I changed the oil and filter on a car at the dealer the exterior and instrument lights were guarantied for the life of the car afterwards.

Because six months or more later, they would come back and say they were working just fine before I changed the oil.

Yes I got to replace them for free, because it was my fault...

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...