Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > Test Rides and Reviews
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Test Rides and Reviews If you've gone out and ridden it... let us know your thoughts...

Old 07-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Now y'all didn't think we went all the way to the BMW dealer and didn't test ride one of these suckers, did'ja?

This bike is a beast, and deserves every bit of fawning that it's gotten in all the reviews. Sure, it sounds like a blender having an argument with a vacuum, but so what? Wanna be going 130 at the end of the on-ramp? No problem. Feel like pulling the front wheel up going into 3rd? Piece of cake. This bike has so much torque it's just unreal. Whack the throttle at 2500rpm, the bike pulls smoothly to about 4000, then it just fracking explodes on its way to the redline.

The only real gripe I have with it is with the ESA. "Normal" is too floaty, "Sport" is to harsh. The GSA's settings are spot-on perfect, so it surprises me that the GTL's aren't. Don't get me wrong, the ride is superior to the Limited's, as is the handling, but the calibrations just aren't quite right. "Comfort" is really soft, and only useful for highway riding. For a big bike, it transitions really well from right to left, though the throttle was a little jerky. There are 5 other throttle settings that I could have tried, but I was too busy trying not to wad up someone else's $30,000 bike. With that said, if I had the opportunity to really get used to this bike's dynamics, y'all would never catch me on a winding road.

The brakes are similarly heroic. I jumped on them hard more than once, and never had any issues with fade or ABS pulsing.

The riding position is typical BMW upright, though the GTL has a more "American" idiom, with more pullback to the bars, and lower pegs. I liked it, but I could see there being a need to stop more often to stretch my legs since there's no way to mount highway pegs. Dana hated the seat and the pegs, and didn't like the fact that the top box moves around as much as it does. She also said there was substantially more turbulence & buffeting than the GSA. She said, and I'm not making this up, that she could see riding all day on the GSA, not on the GTL.

Had this bike been available when I bought my Ultra, there would have been a heated argument in the Train household over which one to get. The Harley is going to be more comfortable on the long hauls, but the GTL is by far the better rider's bike.

The GTL is 95% of the way there. Fix the top box, sort out the ESA settings, and it'd be perfect. I won't be trading in the BSL just yet, but I think I've found my next touring bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1011.jpg (75.3 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1012.jpg (69.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1014.jpg (63.9 KB, 100 views)

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 07-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Double-D

DaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milk
Gosh, there's a lot to think about before I buy my next bike. Thanks for all of your info, Russ.

Ich bin Sven Hoek.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:13 PM
gAZINTAs

Hodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sock
Did BMW get the drive shaft failures taken care of?

!

Old 07-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Friend of mine is a retired motor cop from Atlantic City. He spent thousands of hours/miles on Harley's. He currently owns a big ****** touring bike, I forget which. He solved the seat problem by getting a Mustang seat. His girlfriend had similar complaints about the stock seat. Seems no matter which manufacturer it is, stock seats suck!

Meng

TKWSV

Old 07-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Doof Babe

Margaritaville is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withMargaritaville is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withMargaritaville is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withMargaritaville is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withMargaritaville is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withMargaritaville is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withMargaritaville is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withMargaritaville is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withMargaritaville is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withMargaritaville is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withMargaritaville is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
As of today this bike is not nearly comfortable enough for me to give up the BSL. This bike has more wind issues than the GSA and was not as comfotable. A different seat would help but the back rest bounces so much that I felt every bump on the road in my back. And the peg position on the GSA was better. Plus it sounds like sh%t and is just ugly.

Dana - on the rocks, no salt

Giving money and power to government
is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke

]

Old 07-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaritaville View Post
As of today this bike is not nearly comfortable enough for me to give up the BSL. This bike has more wind issues than the GSA and was not as comfotable. A different seat would help but the back rest bounces so much that I felt every bump on the road in my back. And the peg position on the GSA was better. Plus it sounds like sh%t and is just ugly.
Don't hold back dear, tell them what you really think....

Old 07-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Don't hold back dear, tell them what you really think....

When we were originally looking, and only sat on a BMW 1200lt, Patti said:

Kimber

Old 07-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Double-D
Dr. of Doof

OKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Thank you for the review, Russ. That is just like what I've read about online with the ESA electronic suspension. For some reason, it's just not completely there yet. That makes my decision much easier. I am amazed that Dana found the GSA more comfortable! I may have to test ride one of those bad boys. Sounds like you are in love my friend!

Bob

D.F.F.D.

/Users/rleonard12/Desktop/star-trek-expendability.jpg
Old 07-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKC Fatboy View Post
Thank you for the review, Russ. That is just like what I've read about online with the ESA electronic suspension. For some reason, it's just not completely there yet. That makes my decision much easier. I am amazed that Dana found the GSA more comfortable! I may have to test ride one of those bad boys. Sounds like you are in love my friend!

Bob
Bob, for the typical rider, it's probably fine. I whipped the thing pretty hard (as I do), and it wasn't "just right". With all the work I've put into the BSL's suspension, it's not as comfortable as the GTL, though it probably turns a bit sharper.

Ride it for yourself, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Double-D
The Mechanic

d j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Russ, ya got me thinking about a another bike.

I was hot to trot for a new R1200RT to replace my 08 FLHT this spring. Toots said if ya really want it go ahead and buy it. But you'll regret not having an Electra Glide, esp when she's with on a week long tour. She wasn't super pleased with the pillion BMW offers. Once they get used to H-D's FLHT pillion it's hard to get them into the Sport Tour type of bike.
So we decided to keep Travler and pay her off.

I've spent nearly 30K on a used Vette. Just spent nearly 30K on a used Silverado. I just can't get my brain wrapped around 30K for a new bike. No matter how Awesome it may be.

I have looked around and found used R1200RT's, 08-10's in the 16 to 19K range, Also one of my all time favorites, the FJR1300, 08-09's in the 8-11K range. All with really low miles. The used BMW's are almost always equipped with big dollar seats/GPS etc.

I think that may be the route I go. Keeping the 08 FLHT AND owning and nice clean, used Sport Tour rig is the best of both worlds.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

PeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Thanks, great write up. Havent ridin the 1600, but tyhe GSA will be hard to beat for all around do everything bike. I need to ride one.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:27 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Thorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sock
Snap! Dana has too many nice Harley clothes!

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms." "Gimme back, gimme back my bullets"

Old 07-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: Fuentes Fuentes Opus X Le Chateau
J.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:

Guess that pretty much settles that argument, huh Russ?

Old 07-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.A.F.O. View Post
Guess that pretty much settles that argument, huh Russ?
For now, yes it does.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Site Sponsor
Doof Member

JDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Think hard before giving up on HD. BMW still wont have soul like a HD. I've thought about the BMW untill I spent the day on my road king.
It feels like an american hot rod and fits me like a glove.
Personally, I would get bored with the ****** quickly, I need to be able to tinker with my machines.

Route 412, Bethlehem. 412 = (4, 1+2=3) = 43