Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > Foreign
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Foreign Japanese, Russian... hey, you asked...

Old 05-15-2012, 05:46 AM
NaturalSelection lobbyist

Last Cigar Smoked: some cheap, dried out Cuban brand
Gummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sock
Royal Enfield

The shop I work at sells the made in India Royal Enfield. Contrary to what you might think, these little beauties are well made, with many outsourced parts and systems such as a Keihin EFI, Bosch electronic ignition, Brembo brakes and more, plus they come with a 2yr unlimited mileage warranty...

Here's a writeup I did for another forum a couple weeks ago describing my first test ride on one...

"One of the perks of working in a bike shop (Old Vintage Cranks in Hillsburgh, ON) is that I get to ride most of the bikes that we sell and service, like the new Royal Enfield 500 Bullet I took out for a spin today. The customer who bought it will be picking it up before the end of the week, so after the PDI was done it needed to be taken out on the road to see if there were any problems before handing it over.

This is the first time I've ridden a Royal Enfield and, coming off a bigarse Harley Davidson Road Glide, I was a little sceptical that I could fit on the small frame much less ride it. Starting it was easy; simply turn the key and wait for the fuel pump to stop whirring, then thumb the starter button and it springs to life right away on the first try. There's a fuel enrichener lever (looking very much like a traditional choke lever, right down to the graphic engraved on it) for cold mornings, but the EFI didn't require it in the balmy 8C weather today. I let it idle for a bit to warm it up and the noise it made sitting there chuttering happily away brought back memories of my old BSA - good memories. This bike may be made in India, but it sounds like the old British thumpers of days gone by and oozes personality instead of oil on the pavement.

Once it was warmed up, I swung a leg over and popped it off the centrestand. I was expecting the fit to be a little cramped and it was, but nowhere near as bad as I’d thought. The shifter lever is set a bit too close to the footpeg for the big clunky work boots I was wearing, but the seat height put my knees at a relaxed bend and firmly clamping against the tank rubbers, while the handlebars were at just the right height and reach. However, I looked like a circus bear on a moped making a mad dash for freedom, but that is to be expected when a guy my size hops on a bike made for those who are, um, less circumferentially enhanced (see the reflection in the showroom window).

Keeping in mind that the idea here was to do a shakedown cruise and not to complete the break-in period for the new owner, my route was only about 8km total and ridden at a relaxed pace. I took it to the edge of town and back, then out on the secondary highway for a short cruise. The 5 speed gearbox seemed pretty well sorted out for ratios and was very easy to nudge up or down a speed despite my big boots. I went up a rather steep hill in 5th at just under 90kmh and, not surprisingly, the one lung motor ran out of steam pretty quick. The speed dropped to 80kmh in the blink of an eye, but she chuffed along up the hill without much difficulty. I swear I could feel every single power stroke of the piston, though.

Handling was neutral and predictable, with no wandering about on acceleration or braking. It is very easy to toss into a corner, requiring just a light touch of countersteer to initiate a lean and very little effort to hold it there. The single disc front brake has good feel at the lever and is easy to modulate while slowing to a stop. The small rear drum brake isn’t going to help much in a panic stop but should do nicely for most braking scenarios.

There is vibration felt in the footpegs and handlebars, more noticeably when the engine is working up a hill or hauling away from a stoplight. At steady cruising speed it settles down, but still lets you know you are riding a single cylinder machine with a solid heritage from the Mother Country. I wouldn’t want to tour cross Canada on one, but for relaxed rides or daily commutes at sensible speeds I think this bike would be a great compromise between classic good looks and modern dependability, with decent fuel economy as an added bonus.

Yes, there are bikes with more performance, better mileage and a cheaper price, but that’s not the market the Royal Enfield is playing in. Like the Russian made Ural, this Indian beauty is a niche bike aimed squarely at the older generation of riders who cut their teeth on Brit bikes back in the day and want to revisit those golden memories without the need for excessive maintenance. I don’t think you’d go wrong if one followed you home from the showroom."

Arrrrrrrr, eh?!

Old 05-15-2012, 06:10 AM
Trash

Last Cigar Smoked: The one in the ash tray
noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Oh what a conversation piece! And they fit nicely in back of a pick up truck, no trailer needed~

®
Old 05-15-2012, 06:44 AM
Double-D

DaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milk
Nice write up and pictures. Rick Fairless put a ton of money modifying this Royal Enfield. He's a dealer in Dallas. I thought you might get a kick out of this pic.

Ich bin Sven Hoek.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:48 AM

Gummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sock
The paint job, no. The bike, yes!

BTW, the factory also makes cafe racer conversion kits. We have two kits on order, due to arrive next week... stay tuned for more interesting pics.

Arrrrrrrr, eh?!

Old 05-15-2012, 07:58 AM
Double-D
Doof Gooner

Last Cigar Smoked: Bubble Gum
Redleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
Oh what a conversation piece! And they fit nicely in back of a pick up truck, no trailer needed~
Ok, who hacked n00dles' account? This makes sense and does not mention pictures or color.

Another great write-up Mike! Glad you're back.

"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out there having fun on motorcycles. It makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen
Old 05-15-2012, 09:38 AM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Bill_76 can happily embrace the suckBill_76 can happily embrace the suckBill_76 can happily embrace the suckBill_76 can happily embrace the suckBill_76 can happily embrace the suckBill_76 can happily embrace the suckBill_76 can happily embrace the suckBill_76 can happily embrace the suckBill_76 can happily embrace the suckBill_76 can happily embrace the suckBill_76 can happily embrace the suck
Great write up Mike. A buddy has a shark nose and a Ural, his wife a Street Glide and an Enfield. They love the smaller bikes for shorter rides.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:44 AM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: Fuentes Fuentes Opus X Le Chateau
J.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Saw them at the NY bike show...Really cool bike.
Hard to beat the price too.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:13 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

ms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
I met a man in a gas station in Persidio, Texas, which is down in the Big Bend area. He was riding the first Royal Enfield bike I had ever seen. It was army green and had canteens or something all around it. He had a bedroll tied down on the handle bars I thinhk. I'm not at home but I will find a pic of it and post it up. He was in his 60s, was widowed and had decided to ride all the states west of the Mississippi that summer. As I said, I'm going to go home, find that pic and I'd like for you to tell me about his bike.

If I haven't said it before, I'm really glad you are back!

High Priestess of the Cloudriders
Old 05-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
Great write up Mike. Like Pepi said, saw them at the show in NY and they looked pretty nice. British bikes were the order of the day back on the 60's. My late brother had a really sweet Matchless 650.

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 05-15-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_tapestry View Post
If I haven't said it before, I'm really glad you are back!
Aw, shucks... Thank you kindly, ma'am.

Arrrrrrrr, eh?!

Old 05-15-2012, 07:57 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

ms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
I found them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg man1.jpg (67.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg man2.jpg (45.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg man3.jpg (52.2 KB, 25 views)

Old 05-15-2012, 08:05 PM

That guy is a hardass. That looks to be about a '78 or '79 model, that is hardcore old school!

Arrrrrrrr, eh?!

Old 05-15-2012, 08:55 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummiente View Post
That guy is a hardass. That looks to be about a '78 or '79 model, that is hardcore old school!
He was absolutely freakin' cool. We chatted with him for the best part of an hour. He was one of those folks you encounter on the road that makes you want to get back on the road again.