Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Doof Clenas > Doofapaloozas
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Doofapaloozas I'm riding 1,200 miles to spend a week with some avid motorcycle enthusiasts I met on the internet, dear. What could go wrong?

Old 05-16-2011, 07:14 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
2012 Doofapalooza? Probably not.

Believe it or not, there is a little bit of time (on the part of Boop and I) and expense (for the forum) in doing one of these national git togethers.
Based on the dwindling numbers at ES (event shirts are a great indicator, and we sold a whopping 24 total for ES 2011, including one guy who doesn't attend and some folks who bought multiples), I'm thinking this is going to need to go to a biennial (every 2 years) event, or maybe every 5.
I really want ideas from those who actually attend on how we should proceed here.

I always saw ES as the one centrally located event where everybody got together, and that was what it was about for me, but the numbers just aren't supporting it.

Clue me in, y'all.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:24 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I like the idea of East and West, beginning and end (ish) of summer this way if you want to do both you can, and but nobody listens to me

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 05-16-2011, 07:25 PM
grapenutless

y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
And then maybe a big one every couple of years???

who's to blame in 2014?
Chitty Chitty

Old 05-16-2011, 07:27 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
I don't object to every two years or more, that gives opportunities for other locations. My summers are difficult to schedule the time required for ES. This year we're doing Maggie Valley instead. I'd like to attend more, but unless they are tied into holiday weekends, I don't see that happening.

Kimber

Old 05-16-2011, 07:30 PM
Double-D

DaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milk
We need new Doofs and zINTS. We have to get new members.

Ich bin Sven Hoek.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I have some thoughts on this. Let me organize them a bit and I'll post something up.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 05-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
My job situation kills it for me.

It's easier for me to get time off in the Spring and Fall than it is in the Summer.

Plus, the last two years have sucked majorly for me, work wise, so even if I have the time off, due to lack of work, I can't afford to go to ES.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:08 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kflhr View Post
I like the idea of East and West, beginning and end (ish) of summer this way if you want to do both you can, and but nobody listens to me

Who are you????
Old 05-16-2011, 08:15 PM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Vacation time is a valuable asset for those of us who are not retired; some get more vacation than others. Its big fun meeting new Doofs and Zints, but I also love going places that I've never been before. That's just me, though. YMMV.

Although I absolutely love my profession, my new job has killed the Crawfish run, Junction, and ES for me this year.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:17 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
While I love the big get together every year, I think that bi-annual may be a better idea. Gives folks time to stash away a bit and to make other trips. A week+ of vacation every year may be too much for some to lock down year after year. I'm good either way, but in thinking of more than my own personal situation, having a gap in between may work out more overall. If the west coast every gets off their duff and organizes more than an afternoon beer, I'd like to head that way sometime.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:21 PM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I love the people here.

I've been to ES 3 times.

I'm tired of ES.

I don't have the resources to go to a centrally located place in our great country to find out whether or not they have great motorcycle roads, to find out if there is a hotel that is biker, and DooF, friendly, and has the right rates.

I understand the guidelines, and the reasons for them, and have no problem with them. But there are choices to make. I've been there and done that, and I'm ready for something different.

I understand that it costs, both time and money, to put on an event. TotM isn't cheap to put on... but I love doing it. Everyone kicked in to the hat, and I appreciate it, didn't ask for or need it, but it was greatly appreciated. We will most likely continue to host, because we love it....

Aside from all that, it's kind of expensive for us to go all the way over there for most of a week.

See y'all in Maggie Valley!
From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 05-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I just didn't want a shirt this year; I'll still be there. Would like to make all of the events, but some of the govt employee perks I hear about on the news must be for other departments.

$4+ gas ain't conducive to frivolous expenditures either.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto

Last edited by TalonChief; 05-16-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:29 PM
grapenutless

Maggie Valley is still a long days ride, and I have no problem doing that, but 2 days of riding each way and the timing make it damn near impossible for me to go

who's to blame in 2014?
Chitty Chitty

Old 05-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
I don't necessarily think even the location needs to change. As far as a centrally located place with great roads and tons of scenery, it's damn hard to find a better spot than ES or that area. Maybe take a year break from the annual, let the local rides grow and flourish a bit more, and feel out for 2013 participation. If the feelings aren't strong enough, give it another year. For me, it's much more than the location, it's the fellowship and meeting up with people that I may only get to see on that once a year occasion. If the economy finally makes a good turn and everyone is in a better position, I would guess participation would go up as well.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:03 PM
DD
Lowest of the Low - XLIII

Location: Northern Ohio... the grid paper of motorcycle riding
yolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suck
ok, sorry about the novel ahead of time...

I totally understand wanting to centralize the main event for the Doofs and not put all the burden of travel on those members who live further west. Hell the riding is the whole point, (that and bullshitting for hours in parking lots ). But with that said the distance plays a big factor for me.

I was hoping to go to ES this year... since I haven't gotten to go there yet and it sound like tons of fun, but like everybody I'm controlled by my limited vacation time and the distance I can go because of that.

I basically try to fit in one big week long ride for the year and then as many weekend rides as possible.

With ES being so far away and a week long event, it would really make it tough for me to show up more than once every few years. Not that I wouldn't mind going every year. I'd be happy as a pig in shit to go to every event, plus some... But with my current restraints this would mean ES would always have to be my main trip.

Were events like EC Doofapalooza, Squish, TOTM and Cheese being a 1 day ride and weekend events I can go to a lot of them over the entire year and not use up all my vacation time at once.

I was thinking about this the other day and all the great events that are popping up. What if ES was an every 5 year event. It would guarantee a huge turn out since if you missed it, it would be such a wait before it came round again. It could remain in ES to centralize it and returning there after 5 years would keep people from feeling like they've been there done that.

Same with some of the smaller events. I am so excited for the Dumbside run this year, but at the same time I'm thinking it might be best to put off another for a year or two after this one to make room for new events that are bound to spring up all over the country... Also to not in crouch on events that are very close to the same time. Like what happened by us scheduling the dumbside so close to TOTM and Rolling thunder.

Well I'll shut up now for a few minutes, but that's just my two cents.