Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Oil & Lubrication
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Oil & Lubrication Possibly, we need just one more discussion...

Old 10-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
O-Rings

Anyone tried or know of a good substitute oil drain plug o-ring?

Besides the $1.99 each at the dealer?

Size? as in thickness and diameter?

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 10-02-2013, 02:44 AM
43rd Prophet

swmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suck
I can't tell you the size but I took my drain plug with me to the hardware and bought a dozen that fit...haven't had a leak yet and it's almost time to buy more. I think they were about $.05 a piece.

I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.
~James Madison, speech, Virginia Convention, 1788

Old 10-02-2013, 02:57 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'd like to find a nylon washer to replace the o-ring but no luck yet. I never have understood why HD uses an o-ring in this way as it goes against engineering practice. O-rings are not designed for axial compression accompanied by rotational 'smearing' force.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 10-02-2013, 04:01 AM
I Like Dirt...!

Last Cigar Smoked: BubbleGum
Xkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suck
Lowes has pkg. of 'em in the plumbing dept.

Some Mornings I Wake Up Grouchy.....others, I Let Her Sleep

Old 10-02-2013, 05:59 AM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
7/16" ID X 9/16" OD, size 013.

Greg
Old 10-02-2013, 07:41 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSurly View Post
I'd like to find a nylon washer to replace the o-ring but no luck yet. I never have understood why HD uses an o-ring in this way as it goes against engineering practice. O-rings are not designed for axial compression accompanied by rotational 'smearing' force.
Ever see a ford drain plug?

It's molded on, got over 100 K on some of them...

That reminds me, better order a few for the new FPU's, have no idea what those look like.

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 10-02-2013, 08:04 AM
A. DooF

Last Cigar Smoked: Whatever was next in the Mega rotation
par_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I grabbed a set of SAE and a set of Metric o-rings at Harbor Freight and found a sizes in there that matched. I think there are about 20 of each common size in the sets for about $5 each.

"I want to live and ride free, unencumbered by all but God's love." ~ Red Rider
Old 10-02-2013, 08:35 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
McMaster Carr

9464K18

$7.72 per 100.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Confirmed Luddite

Last Cigar Smoked: Snack Pack Tapioca
Uesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I find lots of good and well fitting parts at Ace Hardware. They even carry chromed nuts and bolts specifically for bikes.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Don't forget to use Teflon paste sealant with proper torque.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:40 PM
43rd Prophet

swmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy View Post
Good point...

I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.
~James Madison, speech, Virginia Convention, 1788

Old 10-02-2013, 02:29 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Crankcase, not primary?

Sent from my li'l ol' iPhone 4S augmented w/ a mophie juice pack plus® using Tapatalk.
Probably from the crapper.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Both OK, the newer (My '11 does) obsolete ones use the same size drain plug and oh ring as the engine oil plug.

Just so you can add to your knowledge data base

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 10-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
Crankcase, not primary?

Sent from my li'l ol' iPhone 4S augmented w/ a mophie juice pack plus® using Tapatalk.
Probably from the crapper.
I use it on all three plugs. Not much, just a dab.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Airhead

Ken R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steak
Quote:
I use it on all three plugs. Not much, just a dab.

I've always used Teflon tape, a few wraps around the threads. Is it as good, or should I go to paste?

It's always worked, by the way (the tape). I've never changed an o-ring.

Ken