Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Carburetor
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 02-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Obsolete Doof Prospect

ridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Exclamation Mikuni question

Trying to get a 45 Mikuni up and running.
I am attempting to use the manifold vacuum port on the back
of the carb for the vacuum to hold the fuel petcock open.
So far, it doesn't seem to allow gas to flow.
I prefilled the carb and the engine cranks and runs but then runs out
of gas.
I tested the vacuum lines setup for leaks before the install and all was well.
the fuel petcock was fine before I started the mod.

Does anyone else use the upper vacuum port on the back of the
Mikuni carb for vacuum?
The manual says this is a vacuum port.
This port does open to the back side of the slide which is vacuum.
I checked.

Do I need to tap a port into the manifold?

Help is appreciated. Thanks!!

Introducing the Al Gore engine

Obsolete Doof
1998 Obsolete Springer Rider
Part time Shovel Rider
Some time XLCH Kicker

Old 02-16-2008, 04:12 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Lose the vacuum petcock, they fail at random with no warning. If you want to ride the bike for now until you either get vacuum to the petcock or replace it you can disassemble the vacuum diaphram section of the petcock and put the spring on the other side of the diaphram. This will hold the diaphram open so the petcock will operate like a normal one.

Joe

Separated at birth? You decide
Old 02-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
But, to answer your question, yes. That brass nipple on the back towards the top is the vacuum.

Make sure your vacuum line isn't cracked. Make sure the vacuum nipple isnt' blocked.

Not much else.................

Meng

TKWSV

Old 02-16-2008, 09:19 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
But, to answer your question, yes. That brass nipple on the back towards the top is the vacuum.

Make sure your vacuum line isn't cracked. Make sure the vacuum nipple isnt' blocked.

Not much else.................

Wrong forum for accurate and useful information.

just sayin

Joe

Separated at birth? You decide
Old 02-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
No help to offer. But what is the rest of the build?
Old 02-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Type O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
get an s&s great carb no problems at all

Russ

doofs at the beach

Old 02-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Obsolete Doof Prospect

ridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Thanks for the help ya'll.
I went back and started taking stuff off till I could see what was going on.

My Doof!! Had the fuel line a little too long and had it nearly kinked.
Cut a little off to straighten it out and problem solved. It was too hard
to see the problem with everything installed. (memo to self for new eyes.)

New build? Yeah, something to play with for awhile. Couldn't afford to spend
for what I'd like but I found something that fit the wallet. Got a 107 El Bruto
(Ulitma) with carb and ign. module included (+ free shipping ).

Thought this would go well with the Fatcat pipe.

So far, so good!! Starts right up, runs good. Got in two 10 mile breakin
runs plus the first two heat sets after finding out the fuel line issue.

I do find that I scrape the Fatcat on right turns. Do the rest of ya'll with
Fatcats scrape the pipe??????? (or do I need to tame my riding?)

I did have an oil leak after the last run. Bolts on the oil pump loosened up.
I retighened them after she cooled down last night. I hope this wont' be
an ongoing issue. We'll see.

The fatcat is pretty loud (with the quiet baffle) but sounds good.

I'm still dialing my clutch adjustment back in.

Obsolete Doof
Part time Shovel Rider
Some time XLCH Kicker

Old 02-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Nowhereman

Do yourself a favor and get rid of the VOS petcock and get a nice Pingel high flow.
They are bullet proof and do not restrict fuel flow to even the biggest engines.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Nowhereman

Vacuum's gotta go

Yes, get rid of the vacuum petcock.
More complexity at the fuel delivery system is always a bad thing.
Pingel does have a high flow vacuum petcock for those who must have it.
If you do run it, take the vacuum from the manifold.
Better yet, just get a Pingel Gas Guzzler and be done with it.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Obsolete Doof Prospect

I did ditch the oem and install a Pingle.

Obsolete Doof
Part time Shovel Rider
Some time XLCH Kicker