Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Brakes, Rotors & Calipers
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 07-16-2014, 07:15 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Rear Brake Vibration, 2010 Ultra w/ ABS

I'm trying to chase this down. I would be happy to get your input.

Upon moderate to heavy rear brake application I'm getting a pretty heavy vibration seemingly from the rear of the bike. It's been happening for a while and it doesn't feel like it's getting markedly worse or as if something's about to fall off. It feels like a warped rotor or metal to metal pad contact.
It's not ABS activation. I'm pulling it down tonight to inspect everything and I have new bearings in hand if needed.
At light application the rear brake is smooooooth. It's only after getting on it hard that the vibration occurs and it's quite consistent and linear. You can modulate pedal pressure and vary the vibration.
I'm fully expecting to find a crapped wheel bearing or a cracked rotor; some obvious 'smoking gun' would be nice.
Btw: clutch/throttle/ load/ gear/ lean angle/ doesn't make any difference.
I'll let ya know what I find but give me your best guesses.

EDIT: bike has 18,782 mi. Rear amer elite has 6300 mi.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 07-16-2014, 07:25 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Don't have the wheel all the way off and already found something completely unexpected

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 07-16-2014, 07:32 PM
snow pirate

Last Cigar Smoked: No thanks.
stoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST.

GFFG
Old 07-16-2014, 07:51 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Axle froze on a bearimg?

Old 07-16-2014, 07:54 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSurly View Post
Don't have the wheel all the way off and already found something completely unexpected
Skill saw blade made into a horn bracket dangling in the spokes?

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 07-16-2014, 08:17 PM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: A couple of Mega's...
HiTekRedneck can happily embrace the suckHiTekRedneck can happily embrace the suckHiTekRedneck can happily embrace the suckHiTekRedneck can happily embrace the suckHiTekRedneck can happily embrace the suckHiTekRedneck can happily embrace the suckHiTekRedneck can happily embrace the suckHiTekRedneck can happily embrace the suckHiTekRedneck can happily embrace the suckHiTekRedneck can happily embrace the suckHiTekRedneck can happily embrace the suck
They all do that...

At least my 2012 Ultra limited does too. Only feel it in the pedal and the back tire acts like it's almost ready to lock up.

I didn't notice it before the first time I actually tried the ABS out...

Old 07-16-2014, 08:21 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTekRedneck View Post
They all do that...

At least my 2012 Ultra limited does too. Only feel it in the pedal and the back tire acts like it's almost ready to lock up.

I didn't notice it before the first time I actually tried the ABS out...
This. I've had the same feeling.

Kimber

Old 07-16-2014, 08:21 PM
Bard of the 43 Words

Last Cigar Smoked: 5 Vegas Miami
TimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suck
...if you let Russ anywhere near it, you're gonna have problems...
2003 FXD aka 'Wild Blue'
"Ask not what Doof Clenas can do for you, but what you can do for Doof Clenas." TimmyD (2006)

Old 07-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

1.) horn bracket looks awesome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (66.7 KB, 51 views)

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 07-16-2014, 09:16 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Tire, pulleys, isolator, bearings, pads look very good.
I removed the bearings and opened each one, all are perfect. Added grease, replaced seals.
I'm actually thinking that the vibe might be the tire. It looks about halfway gone at only 6500 miles.

The part that does not look good...

Is the belt.

The sprockets look great, but the belt is ugly. Every fourth tooth all the way around is damaged and about a third of those have chunks missing. I can't find any problem with the pulleys save for a single "chip" in the rear.
What would cause this? Rocks? Tension?
Wheelies?
The "every fourth" part is really weird.
Before ES I had actually bought the bonafide HD tension tool and adjusted per the book. Even though done perfectly, it seemed too damned tight to my thinking. I triple-checked the adjustment and left it like that. Then I proceeded to the crap out of it for a while. Today I rechecked it using the tool. It's a bit looser than spec now.
I've about decided that this damage is from being overly tight.

Feel free to discuss
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.6 KB, 51 views)

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 07-17-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:31 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
First -- The ABS -- all ABS systems deliver the thump thump when applied vigorously. It is the nature of the system that keeps the brakes from locking up as it applies and releases. It's just that some are more noticeable than others. The important thing to note is that they don't lock up and you keep going in a straight line.

Second -- The Belt -- It appears that you are correct in your thoughts. I lean towards the fact that you had it over tight before you left.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 07-16-2014, 10:02 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Just to clarify,
The vibration is not ABS kicking in. I'm pretty familiar with that operation. This is happening well below traction limit (in my best assessment ).

Unless the ABS has some abnormal way that it operates that it isn't supposed to do.
No, this feels just like a badly warped rotor. Except that it's smooth at lesser application.
Despite the phukt belt, I doubt the belt is causing the vibe, but I don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 07-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Loaded TapATalk again. (Sigh) the iPhone makes pic attachment far too difficult without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 07-16-2014, 11:14 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Ricky;

Not saying you didn't, but did you measure belt deflection with the tire in the air or on the ground and use the corresponding recommended measurement for the tire position? They are different.

As far as the "vibration". I can make the rear brake make a grating feeling with a fair amount of brake, but not fully engaging the ABS, but only with being a little firmer. Normal riding it's smooth as glass.

Oh, and aren't those sealed bearings?

Kimber

Old 07-16-2014, 11:31 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
You did what to the engine on hush hush so you could blow someone's saddlebags off at ES?

The drive belt got narrower back when Harley started putting the 140 size tire on the rear.

Not sure how wide the belt is on the '09 and up touring bikes.

But it's gonna wear faster (break down) when more HP and torque is thrown at it.

Maybe every forth tooth is the cylinder power hit causing that?

I'm just throwing poo at the wall and seeing if it sticks...

But if you built up a hot rod with massive HP wouldn't you install stronger "bigger" U joints?

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...