Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > Computer Talk
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Computer Talk Have a computer question, problem or internet issue? The computer talk is here.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:01 AM
I Like Dirt...!

Last Cigar Smoked: BubbleGum
Xkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suck
I Need To Get One Of These...

Photokeeper or portable hard drive...

this computer is 7 years old, and i don't want to lose all the pics if something happens to it...

http://www.polaroid.com/products/pro...orage%20Drives

i guess since the Polaroid has the software in it, to just go in and grab pics, it would be simpler...

if i get a hard drive, what would i have to do to it, to configure it, and how would i load all my pics in it...?

which ones are better quality...Western Digital...?

Some Mornings I Wake Up Grouchy.....others, I Let Her Sleep

Old 01-04-2009, 09:09 AM
BigAlsRK

I bought a USB external hard drive (just plug and play) from CompUSA....250 GB for 83.00...best investment I ever made for my PC...now all photos, music etc are there.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:44 AM
I Like Dirt...!

Last Cigar Smoked: BubbleGum
Xkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suck
AlBigAl,
how do you transfer the photos from your computer to the external hard drive...?

Some Mornings I Wake Up Grouchy.....others, I Let Her Sleep

Old 01-04-2009, 09:45 AM
BigAlsRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xkvator View Post
AlBigAl,
how do you transfer the photos from your computer to the external hard drive...?
Just move them....highlight and right click...send to folder...select the external...and away they go
Old 01-04-2009, 09:48 AM
BigAlsRK

Or you can drag and drop entire folders using windows explorer.........
Old 01-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Keeper - Awful Secret

rangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milk
I've got a 750 gig Seagate external from Costco; $100, USB, easily configurable backup software included, backs up every night and if I get over 1 meg of info new during any one session. Also backup a couple USB flash drives to keep in a fireproof safe JIC.

Learned a long time ago to be a backup fiend, esp. photos....had a bad experience or two before there was such a thing as recovery software.

Jay
Old 01-04-2009, 10:14 AM
GazintA

TerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milk
Backing up photos is important. I know better and just lost a bunch of mine.

All the Colorado pics. All of the early bike work, etc.

Engine by Otto.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Zintaround

pa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suck
Print them out and place them in a shoebox in the closet.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Doof Clenas Member

geeded can happily embrace the suckgeeded can happily embrace the suckgeeded can happily embrace the suckgeeded can happily embrace the suckgeeded can happily embrace the suckgeeded can happily embrace the suckgeeded can happily embrace the suckgeeded can happily embrace the suckgeeded can happily embrace the suckgeeded can happily embrace the suckgeeded can happily embrace the suck
A new external hard drive is simply plug & play. After it's plugged in, go to "computer", dbl click on the new drive and add a flolder called "Pictures" or whatever. Move all your .jpegs etc over to the new folder on the new drive. I just drag and drop. Also invest in an 8 gig thumb drive and copy the pics over to the USB drive also and keep in a safe place (preferably out of the house in case of fire). The thumb drive acts just like a hard drive and is also plug & play.

cheers, geeded

Proud Father of "The Other Josh"

Def; Ya'll (pron) How Yankees spell Y'all.

NRA Life and Endowment member

SPECTRE - Special Executor for Counter-Intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion. "Greetings Mr. Bond"

I can't believe I was in Viet Nam almost 43 years ago.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:39 AM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlsRK View Post
Just move them....highlight and right click...send to folder...select the external...and away they go
Moving files from a logical or physical drive to another drive under Windows is a copy. The original files from the source drive still exist unless you delete them.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
All of these are great suggestions. the most important bit is to get em backed up, by whatever method you can or by several methods.
The quickest/cheapest if your box has a DVD burner is to simply create DVD data discs. Your burner probably came with the software and the discs are cheap. They'll hold several gigabytes each. Next cheapest would be the thumbdrive suggested. They're gettin silly cheap these days and the transfer rate is really fast. Transfer is just a drag-drop operation; the only difficulty is remembering all the different folders you have pics hiding in. The some backup drive software sort of automates this for you by scanning the whole machine for image files but its not hard do do this manually either.
The great advantage to using a really huge (100+gigs) external drive over the thumb or DVDs is the drive is big enough to simply make a copy of you entire "My Documents" folder...backing up far more than just your pics.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 01-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
I just cut and paste the folder to externa hard drive. It came with software for backing things up. But I never learned it. I rename the folder with the date after pasting. It takes 15 minutes, to copy all those files. The back up programs are probably quicker, ut would require some thought. I just come back in 15 minutes and tis done.

Anybody see this digital picture frames, you load your pics in and scrolls through. I though that would be cool. Not sure what its even called.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:32 PM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
I just cut and paste the folder to externa hard drive. It came with software for backing things up. But I never learned it. I rename the folder with the date after pasting. It takes 15 minutes, to copy all those files. The back up programs are probably quicker, ut would require some thought. I just come back in 15 minutes and tis done.

Anybody see this digital picture frames, you load your pics in and scrolls through. I though that would be cool. Not sure what its even called.
The digital picture frames look pretty cool. I was thinkin about getting one of the 15" ones.

No doubt, though the USB extrernal drive is a great way to back things up...

Old 01-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
Moving moves...copying copies. 2 separate functions in Windows.

I definately recommend and external hard drive for local backups of your pictures. Also, I would recommend an onlie resource to upload your pictures to. I personally use Flickr with a Pro account. Unlimited uploads, makes them available online for posting to your favorite message board, you can download them again should anything happen to your external hard drive like a crash, you can select them online, send them to you nearest Target for printing and have them there waiting for you to pay and pick up when you get there.

If it's important, have them in 2 locations. An external hard drive is just as vulnerable to a crash as an internal.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
I bought DPH a digital picture frame for Christmas 2007. Really nice way to show off your digital pics.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.