Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > FXR Discussion
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

FXR Discussion Like anybody cares

Old 04-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Double-D, MLA III, CLS

BluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Ummm, most filters flow from out to in.

That is. the little holes are dirty oil and the center is clean oil.

So, if it ballooned it is because the anti drain back was doing its job.

Swap the lines.

Oil, heat, vibration and noise.

At work, oil analysis, thermography, vibration analysis, and ultrasonics.

At play, Harley.

Same same, right?

Only 43 more states to go!

Remember, never make a straight on a left hand bridge.

It WILL leave a mark.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:21 AM
Smoker of Tires

Crabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesFan View Post
Ummm, most filters flow from out to in.

That is. the little holes are dirty oil and the center is clean oil.

So, if it ballooned it is because the anti drain back was doing its job.

Swap the lines.

this is confusing the crap outa me....my local Indy (the guy that built the motor) says the oil line from the pump should go to the center fitting (the one that feeds thru the mounting stud into the filter) on the mount...and the return line to the tank is the other fitting (the outside fitting)...its working the way its set up (rode it yesterday)......I understand why the Fram didn't work that way but the MidUsa filter works ok.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Double-D, MLA III, CLS

BluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
The mid usa may not have an anti drain back valve.

Now, I am perfectly willing to be wrong here, BUT....

Our little Frams and my massive 100 GPM filters are the same basic construction.

A perforated steel core enclosed by a folded media with some hind of end caps.

The core and the end caps support the media. In my case, against vertical (if you will) crushing as the vessel is closed. In a canister filter, it also acts to control oil flow.

So, that leaves the core. If oil is flowing from the center out, what keeps the media from moving?

Mine are sometimes wrapped but typically not continuously. A car or bike canister is not.

So, the media is now free to move OUT with flow.

I would check with other sources, it sounds like it's plumbed backwards and it MAY have been OK in a tank where the oil dumps in with not real pressure (MAYBE), but when you moved it to a canister type, you need to think through everything, including filter design.

Could be a case of making it look like the other way being actually backwards.

As to Fram filters, they're OK in the black capped versions, EVOs don't need the 5 micron nominal of a TC, so no issues there.

At play, Harley.

Same same, right?

It WILL leave a mark.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Smoker of Tires

Crabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
The mid usa may not have an anti drain back valve.

Now, I am perfectly willing to be wrong here, BUT....

Our little Frams and my massive 100 GPM filters are the same basic construction.

A perforated steel core enclosed by a folded media with some hind of end caps.

The core and the end caps support the media. In my case, against vertical (if you will) crushing as the vessel is closed. In a canister filter, it also acts to control oil flow.

So, that leaves the core. If oil is flowing from the center out, what keeps the media from moving?

Mine are sometimes wrapped but typically not continuously. A car or bike canister is not.

So, the media is now free to move OUT with flow.

I would check with other sources, it sounds like it's plumbed backwards and it MAY have been OK in a tank where the oil dumps in with not real pressure (MAYBE), but when you moved it to a canister type, you need to think through everything, including filter design.

Could be a case of making it look like the other way being actually backwards.

As to Fram filters, they're OK in the black capped versions, EVOs don't need the 5 micron nominal of a TC, so no issues there.
this never was an "in tank" system...its an Evo and originally was under the bike ('90 FXRP)....I'll probably just swap the lines into the filter mount

thanks for the info
Old 04-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Double-D, MLA III, CLS

OK, thought I saw an in tank one on that drawing.

Still, out to in is the design flow path.

At play, Harley.

Same same, right?

It WILL leave a mark.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Confirmed Luddite

Last Cigar Smoked: Snack Pack Tapioca
Uesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'll be home in about a half hour, do you want me to check any of my oil lines?

Old 04-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Smoker of Tires

Quote:
OK, thought I saw an in tank one on that drawing.

Still, out to in is the design flow path.
someone posted a Shovel diagram...this bike is an Evo

thanks Uesque....I think I've got it now
Old 04-30-2011, 04:29 PM
Smoker of Tires

put about 50 on her today....

Old 04-30-2011, 05:15 PM
Confirmed Luddite

Uesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Wow that's looking sharp. Are those bicycle pedal highway pegs?

Old 04-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Smoker of Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uesque View Post
Wow that's looking sharp. Are those bicycle pedal highway pegs?
why yes...yes they are

they rotate keeping your feet at whatever angle your prefer
Old 04-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Confirmed Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilks View Post
why yes...yes they are

they rotate keeping your feet at whatever angle your prefer

Too cool, I have to copy that, great idea!

You sticking with no front fender?

Old 04-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Smoker of Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uesque View Post
Too cool, I have to copy that, great idea!

You sticking with no front fender?
for now....I have a shorter than stock fender but when I changed the front tire my guy put a 100 on instead of a 90 and it won't fit...the fairing acts as a fender in the rain
Old 04-30-2011, 06:30 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
very nice fx bagger you got going on
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 04-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Somewhat Bionic

Last Cigar Smoked: Hoyo De Monterrey Robusto
Big Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Lookin sharp. Glad you got it back together.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting '..holy sh*t ....what a ride!' - George Carlin

Old 04-30-2011, 11:53 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
That FXRP is sweet!

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Original Cat Herder KC.