Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > FXR Discussion
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

FXR Discussion Like anybody cares

Old 06-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Confirmed Luddite

Last Cigar Smoked: Snack Pack Tapioca
Uesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Electrical Help Needed

Here's what's happening. The motor will just cut out completely, usually on deceleration almost always in the middle of an intersection. Tach drops to zero even if the bike is still in gear and the engine moving. If I turn the key off and back on, it fires right up. I doubt it's a fuel issue as when I run out, the tach still registers engine speed if it's moving.

This morning I replaced coil, plugs and wires. That did nothing. What next? Ignition switch? It happens no matter which of the on positions the key is in.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:51 PM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Sounds like it's in the ignition due to everything going dead blank.

Maybe a loose connection?
From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 06-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Confirmed Luddite

Uesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyMan View Post
Sounds like it's in the ignition due to everything going dead blank.

Maybe a loose connection?

Well now you have me curious because the tach goes dead, but I don't think the lights do. Now I have to go for another ride.

Last edited by Uesque; 06-04-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:39 PM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
....any excuse to ride is worth it.

Glad I could help.

From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 06-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
I'd give your grounds a good inspection also.

Greg
Old 06-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Too old for idle/air mixture so I'm guessing severe drop in voltage/amperage. Maybe ground or battery connections.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 06-06-2011, 07:18 AM
Confirmed Luddite

Further info. As suspected, none of the other electrics go out when it happens. Lights, turn signals, etc. all work fine. It does make a really big bang if you don't remember to ease off the throttle while turning the key off and on.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Smoker of Tires

Crabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uesque View Post
Further info. As suspected, none of the other electrics go out when it happens. Lights, turn signals, etc. all work fine. It does make a really big bang if you don't remember to ease off the throttle while turning the key off and on.

what year and model?

sorry.....I'm new
Old 06-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Confirmed Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilks View Post

what year and model?

sorry.....I'm new

'89 FXRS-SP. I've been looking through the wiring diagram for a likely culprit, but it just gives me a headache.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:00 PM
really big member

Jonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uesque View Post
'89 FXRS-SP. I've been looking through the wiring diagram for a likely culprit, but it just gives me a headache.

Almost seems like killswitch circuit. But why does it start after you cycle the key? You have not changed handlebars recently have you?

JONAS

Sherlyn Popelka, Fugitive, Aggravated Assault, Golf, DUI

USMC 82-88
Semper Fi, PGRider
2004 Road King
Old 06-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Smoker of Tires

Crabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
what kinda ignition?
Old 06-07-2011, 06:00 AM
Confirmed Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
Almost seems like killswitch circuit. But why does it start after you cycle the key? You have not changed handlebars recently have you?
I'm starting to suspect that as it behaves identically to turning off the kill switch. I haven't changed the bars but I did replace the throttle cables which are on that side.

Edit: Happened again on the way to work this morning and cycling the kill switch worked. Three times. I need to get in there and clean up the switch and check the wiring I bet. I just did the turn signal switch on the other side and it was pretty cruddy in there. Not only did I have the right housing apart to do the throttle cables, but put on quite a few miles in the rain since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilks View Post
what kinda ignition?
Bone stock.

Last edited by Uesque; 06-07-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
did you find the cause of this problem ?
have you fixed this problem ?

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 06-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Confirmed Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxr4mikey View Post
did you find the cause of this problem ?
have you fixed this problem ?
Not yet but when the bike gets wet, the problem goes away for a while. With school, I haven't had time to dig into the kill switch.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:18 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I doubt it's your kill switch if cycling the ignition switch fixes it. I bet the contacts in your ignition switch are worn and the bouncing of the keys in the switch cause it to loose contact. Bypass the ignition switch with a jumper wire, take it for a ride I bet the problem doesn't occur. The other possibility if your bike has a bank angle sensor it could be bad. Those kill the ignition when they sense the bank angle is beyond 45 degrees, the tach goes dead then.

Separated at birth? You decide