Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Tins, Body Work, & Paint
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 02-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: Obsidian
Stone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
It was a blast... You do good work, Russ... I had no idea you caught all that... and the important stuff too... like the only working is Doug...
Except when I was removing the hardware on my bike, he kinda was...

"Keeping a candle lit"

"RIP Butkus"
2002-2006

Danger: Propane
Keep Back 200 Feet
Old 02-04-2008, 10:32 AM
not Lady G, but....

route66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dog View Post
I didn't see any pictures of Russ on your link, Mike.

...just sayin'....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
He's camera shy...
It is that witless protection thing.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." (Tacitus, Roman historian 55-117 A.D.)

Original 43%er

CAT HERDER GORGE CROSSER SKYLINE

My buddy!
Old 02-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Jams

Quote:
Originally Posted by route66paul View Post
It is that witless protection thing.
witless
Old 02-04-2008, 09:32 PM
The Molenator

CDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Good job on this...

Clint
Bikeless

I'm a Doof, and Damn Proud of it!

Old 02-06-2008, 09:12 PM
8-Ball

31 parts powder coated so far.... got 20 to go before I can put it back together... I shoulda counted before I started...
Old 02-06-2008, 09:13 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
All dinky parts too huh?!

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Original Cat Herder KC.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:20 PM
8-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynageno View Post
All dinky parts too huh?!
toaster oven... just sayin'...
Old 02-06-2008, 09:23 PM
GrayRider

Will you do mine next?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:26 PM
8-Ball

Come on out... we'll do it together... you prep, I'll spray can cook...
Old 02-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Livin Life

darrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suck
Mike, serious question here,

Did the powdercoating affect the head sizes of the bolts?

For example, if they were a 1/2" hex head bolt, after you powder coated them, did the 1/2" wrench now seem too tight to fit the head of the bolt?

I ask because it looks like the coat is thick and could throw a 1/2" head to a 14mm

Just wonderin'

Oh, looks great by the way

Old 02-07-2008, 02:32 AM
8-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell View Post
Mike, serious question here,

Did the powdercoating affect the head sizes of the bolts?

For example, if they were a 1/2" hex head bolt, after you powder coated them, did the 1/2" wrench now seem too tight to fit the head of the bolt?

I ask because it looks like the coat is thick and could throw a 1/2" head to a 14mm

Just wonderin'

Oh, looks great by the way
Thanks...

Well... no and I'm not sure....

I did all four shock bolts, lock washers and washers and the same socket fit fine... plenty of room left. In fact, I made a little discovery. I was a little leery of messing up the finish like I did with the painted bolts, so I took one of those plastic grocery store recycle bags, tore off a small square and placed it over the bolt before applying the socket... no problem with fit and the socket didn't tear the bag material... I'm thinking it might be a good practice with powder coated bolts and nuts.

I also did the nuts and washers on the fenders at the struts. I used a crescent to get it off and after powder coating, none of the SAE sockets seemed to fit. It may be metric... I didn't check... just put them back on with the crescent.

I didn't have any problem with the sockets fitting the bolts I used to assemble the three brackets between the muffler and the exhaust either (same size before and after).

So now I'm thinking of coating the two bolts above and below the swingarm pivot cap. Can I take those out one at a time, coat them, and put them back without screwing up the alignment?

A larger oven would sure simplify the process... can only do a few parts at a time in the toaster oven.

I'm very impressed with the quick release brackets I did this afternoon...

Tomorrow the saddlebag brackets and those spring things that the bags clip to... some washers and that will be it for this go around.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:24 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
Just use your kitchen oven, Mary will never know!

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Original Cat Herder KC.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Outlaw

Last Cigar Smoked: Camel WIDES
Sidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
The parts look good Mike. I wouldn't mind getting one of them powder coating guns.

"It's not the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog." - Michael Vick.