Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > General Maintenance & Service
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

General Maintenance & Service Doing it yourself or having it done...

Old 10-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSurly View Post
How about those who do not have the luxury of a tour-pack or a trailer to dump the Snap-On box into? What's your 'light version' of tool bag look like?
My tool kit fits into my saddle bag and their's still room to two sets of rain gear and a fleece hoody.

Kimber

Old 10-05-2011, 08:28 AM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
How about those who do not have the luxury of a tour-pack or a trailer to dump the Snap-On box into? What's your 'light version' of tool bag look like?
Mine fits nicely in the bottom of a saddlebag.

I don't put tools in the tourpak, that's the place I put my phones and sunglasses.

From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 10-05-2011, 08:31 AM
A. DooF

Last Cigar Smoked: Whatever was next in the Mega rotation
par_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippsy View Post
I carry angelas makeup, that stuff works miracles...
Anyone else wonder if Dave looks like a zINt without it?

I carry a bunch of stuff I hope to rarely need...but others have

jumper cables
flashlight
zip ties
screw driver with tips...torx...phillips...useless flat heads
small wratchet with a few sockets
small set of allen wrenches
tire gauge...
fuses

"I want to live and ride free, unencumbered by all but God's love." ~ Red Rider
Old 10-05-2011, 08:56 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
I ride with Gunfixer if at all possible.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:30 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

Half Pint looks handsome even in Groucho glassesHalf Pint looks handsome even in Groucho glassesHalf Pint looks handsome even in Groucho glassesHalf Pint looks handsome even in Groucho glassesHalf Pint looks handsome even in Groucho glassesHalf Pint looks handsome even in Groucho glassesHalf Pint looks handsome even in Groucho glassesHalf Pint looks handsome even in Groucho glassesHalf Pint looks handsome even in Groucho glassesHalf Pint looks handsome even in Groucho glassesHalf Pint looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Zip ties, a pack of gum and a .45 (just in case it needs to be put out of its misery).
Should we start calling you MaGyver??

Old 10-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Precisely as predicted, some have fallen for arguing the wrong point.

It doesn't matter whether you actually carry your current tool kit in the tour pack (A really bad idea for weight distribution/balance). The point was that if you HAVE a tour pack, you have a lot more room for stuff...and you have less pressure to pare the tools down to bare essentials.
My thread-drifting query is essentially: what would your minimalist tool bag contain?

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 10-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Double-D

DaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Precisely as predicted, some have fallen for arguing the wrong point.

It doesn't matter whether you actually carry your current tool kit in the tour pack (A really bad idea for weight distribution/balance). The point was that if you HAVE a tour pack, you have a lot more room for stuff...and you have less pressure to pare the tools down to bare essentials.
My thread-drifting query is essentially: what would your minimalist tool bag contain?
I'm closing in on it Ricky. I'll post a pic soon.

Ich bin Sven Hoek.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Everything I carry is in my bags.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 10-05-2011, 07:43 PM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
My tool kit fits into my saddle bag and their's still room to two sets of rain gear and a fleece hoody.
We don't need rain gear in Texas.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:49 PM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
I carry both a small tool bag (I'll post a pic later), and a small spare parts bag in my left saddlebag. Best advice I can give, Skip, is to choose a tool bag size that fits your needs and prioritize from there,... starting with "bare essentials", and progressing to "nice to have's".

Old 10-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Double-D

DaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
We don't need rain gear in Texas.
My new tool bag "as it is" is resting on top of my Frog Togs in my right saddlebag.

Ich bin Sven Hoek.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:24 PM
El Errante

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSkip View Post
My new tool bag "as it is" is resting on top of my Frog Togs in my right saddlebag.
I rode all summer without my raingear hoping the rain gods would notice and end this drought. It doesn't seem to have worked out very well. Do the frog togs work okay on the bike? Im considering new raingear.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Navy Doof

Streetbob probably grills a mean steakStreetbob probably grills a mean steakStreetbob probably grills a mean steakStreetbob probably grills a mean steakStreetbob probably grills a mean steakStreetbob probably grills a mean steakStreetbob probably grills a mean steakStreetbob probably grills a mean steakStreetbob probably grills a mean steakStreetbob probably grills a mean steakStreetbob probably grills a mean steak
I stayed dry with my Frog Togs coming back from Junction. 200 miles in the rain.

______
Joe
Old 10-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Double-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
I rode all summer without my raingear hoping the rain gods would notice and end this drought. It doesn't seem to have worked out very well. Do the frog togs work okay on the bike? Im considering new raingear.
They work well. They will melt on a tailpipes. I know of a place that sells a patch that prevents the tailpipe damage.

Ich bin Sven Hoek.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:38 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Big fan of Frogg Toggs here!

They breathe. 70mph on a RK and even heavy rain does not penetrate.
They lack a good closure at the boots but I saw somewhere that they offered gaitors, though I haven't found em.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod