Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Accessories
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Accessories Horns, Pegs, Guards, MP3, Sat. Radio, GPS, etc.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:22 PM
Doof Clenas Member

IRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suck
Rockford Fosgate Amp / Rokker XT Series Speakers

Hey gang. For one of my winter projects I am adding an amp to the bike.
I put J&M Rokker XT Series speakers in the fairing a few years ago (part number 40-453). I just purchased the ROCKFORD FOSGATE PBR300X4 4-CHANNEL AMPLIFIER 300W RMS and the install kit. I noticed in another forum today that this amp is spec'd for 4 ohm set up and the Rokkers are 2 Ohm. Am I screwed? Is there a way to use these together?

I also have two Boom speakers on my quick release tour pak with quick connect. If I can use the amp with the Rokkers should I set up the amp for 4 speakers or just use it as 2 channel on the fairing speakers?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:52 PM
Double-D

BigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milk
Rockford Fosgate Amp / Rokker XT Series Speakers

Running 2 ohm speakers with a 4 ohm amp runs the risk of damaging the amp. Technically you could run front and back in series turning them into 4 ohm but that would be a pain and the rokkers prolly wouldn’t sound very good. J&M build their stuff so it doesn’t play well with others.
If you want to keep those particular speakers you’re better off with a J&M amp. Or there are tons of good and not too expensive speaker options that pair well with the RF amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2007
gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2015

Last edited by BigTOE; 12-09-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:09 PM
Double-D

BigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milk
Just noticed you said the rear are boom and not another set of rokkers. Pretty sure they are 4 ohm so previous option won’t work. I’d buy 4 matched speakers to go with the new amp.

gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2007
gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2015
Old 12-09-2017, 08:29 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
You can fool around with adding inline resistors but Toe has the best idea.

Find a set of speakers that are matched to the amp. You'll be better off in the long run.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 12-10-2017, 12:38 AM
Known Associate

Inspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thought
The suggestion to have all the components match is a good one. I have a J&M set up for my Street Glide that I'm getting ready to pull out. So far I've blown up two sets of J&M Speakers. One set of 7 1/4 and a set of 7 1/4 Rokkers. I'm using the J&M amp as set from them and everything is matched in terms of impedance. I don't listen to the thing at overly high volume yet their stuff isn't holding up well. My winter project is to pull the amp and Rokkers and send them back to J&M for warranty and install a set of Boom Audio speakers and no amp. Tired of blowing speakers.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:12 PM
Doof Clenas Member

IRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suck
Thanks BT, Inspector and Dinero!

I guess I'll pull the Rokkers and put in some 4 ohm speakers. Can you guys recommend speaker? I only see Kickers and Polk. Are there HD Booms! in 4 ohm for the fairing? Are they any good?

Old 12-10-2017, 01:48 PM
Double-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONMAN View Post
Thanks BT, Inspector and Dinero!

I guess I'll pull the Rokkers and put in some 4 ohm speakers. Can you guys recommend speaker? I only see Kickers and Polk. Are there HD Booms! in 4 ohm for the fairing? Are they any good?

I prefer the Polks but speakers are pretty subjective. Not a fan of the boom at all. Biketronics is always a good source as well. Give them a call and see what they recommend.

gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2007
gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2015
Old 12-10-2017, 06:36 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Biketronics amp and biketronics titan II speakers here. Hard to beat their quality and customer service.

Lifetime warranty too.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:11 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Okay. I ordered two Polk 4 ohm speakers and will install them and the amp this weekend.

One other question: I have the two speakers on the tour pak that is a quik disconnect tour pak with a quick disconnect speaker wire connector coming from the head unit going to the tour pak speakers.
Is it okay to set the RF amplifier up as 4 channel even though the tour pak speakers will sometimes not be connected?
Should I just set the amp (Rockford Fosgate PBR300x4) switch to 2 instead of 4 and just run the fairing speakers off the amp?

Old 12-12-2017, 03:44 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Either way will work but it seems to me that you may give up a little sound quality set up as 2 speaker only when the tour pack is connected and set up as a 4 speaker when it is disconnected.

At my age, either probably pays a whole lot better than I can hear so it may not matter. I think you are just going to have to try the various combinations to see if they matter to you.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 12-26-2017, 08:52 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Well, I installed the Punch 4 channel amp and put Polk DB651 (6.5") on the front and DB522 (5.25") on the tour pak. I set the amp per instructions. The rear speakers sound amazing with a lot of volume and great sound. The fairing speaker volume is kind of weak and the sound quality, not so great.
I would think the DB651's would better. Any ideas on what might be causing this/how to get the fairing speakers to sound as good as the rear in volume and sound quality?

Oh, Happy New Year fellow Doofs!!!!!

Old 12-27-2017, 06:58 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Is there a fader control not adjusted correctly?

Kimber

Old 12-27-2017, 07:27 PM
Doof Clenas Member

I adjusted the fader to all front, all back, then middle. The rear speakers are definitely way louder.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:32 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Hey gang!
Reviving this old thread. After running this set up for a year I'm not thrilled. Sound volume capability is not impressive.
First, I rarely use the tourpak so the speakers hardly ever get used. Second, I ordered lowers from Advanblack with speaker pods. I was thinking of putting the two J&M Rocker speakers mentioned in them (2 ohm). I was also thinking of adding another amp to drive the Polks in the fairing (4 ohm) and the Rockers in the lowers (2 ohm). I'll leave the Rockford Fosgate amp set up for the tourpak speakers for when I do use it.

Can anyone recommend a good amp that is <$400 that will make a difference?
If I go with a 2 ohm amp can I run 4 ohm and 2 ohm on it?
Should I wire the upper and lower fairing speakers in parallel or in series?
Is there a benefit to being able to fade between the two?

Thoughts?