Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > The Gym
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

The Gym Put on your sweats and come on in.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
TapOutXT..why do I do this to myself?

Decided I was interested in more functional strength and less pushing heavy things around in the gym due to the aches and recovery periods increasing exponentially, so I opted to give this program a whirl. I chose it largely due to its portability derived from not requiring anything other than a couple of rubber resistance bands, a pair of weighted gloves, and a towel. It's loosely based on MMA moves.

The first workout in the series is called Cross Core Combat. It's all about core stability and has you do various "combat" strikes while keeping the core engaged--it's also very sphinx pushup-centric. The pace is grueling (for a beginner) and your heart rate will go up pretty quickly as you engage stabilizer muscles you're not used to using on top of other major muscle groups in executing the strike moves.

I regularly squat ~380 and still bench ~180 even after the shoulder surgery, but this flat wore my butt out. P90X was not nearly as difficult to keep up with. My wife regularly does P90X workouts and runs 5 mi several times a week and even she balked at some of this.

Tomorrow: Strength Force Upper & Abs, so if'n I ain't dead in 90 days.....
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 10-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Last Cigar Smoked: Romeo y Julieta Churchill
BillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know

Old 10-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Doof Cadet

Last Cigar Smoked: don't smoke no friggin ceegars
knuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sock
Stamina and cardio will take time to get use too. Just stay with it.

Good goin

Doofbag Fer EverI smell Fish
Old 10-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Under Construction

TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Day 2: Strength & Force Upper, and Abs

This one was a series of various push-up styles followed by an shoulder/arm move with a band. The pace, like yesterday, was fast--faster than P90X by an appreciable margin. It is currently beyond me to keep up w/ it--thankfully I have a pause button

My arms are jello after 2 days of more push-ups than I could count. Had to go to the knees to get some of today's later moves w/ any semblance of good form. The abs workout has some of the same moves as P90X, but there are a few others that I just could not manage at all.

The one funny thing I've noted about the DVDs is that unlike Tony Horton's back-up dancers in P90X, the crew behind Mike Karpenko is not all at the same level of fitness. In other words, you don't have to feel like a total grabastic piece of amphibian shite, because there is probably someone on the screen doing worse than you.

Tomorrow: DOMS and Plyometrics....
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 10-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Under Construction

Day 3, 4, and 5.....

Day 3 should sound familiar to anyone who's done P90X--Plyometrics. This is similar to Horton's workout, but again pulls in more of what could be termed martial arts moves, but probably only by someone who's not a martial artist. One significant difference I note is that Karpenko is very much keeping the emphasis on core engagement throughout the whole program, while Horton seemed to concentrate on upper back development via pull-ups.

Day 4, again should sound familiar from P90x--Yoga. There was not as much single leg work as P90X, and the workout is a bit shorter--50 mins. It still had me sweating from merely twisting around and holding various body parts up in the air in uncharacteristic style. It ended with a short ab workout.

Day 5, today, was legs & back. This one relies on a big rubber band hooked around various appendages, unlike Horton's program that uses dumbbells for resistance. Again, Karpenko emphasizes core work while simultaneously working legs & shoulders. E.g., there are several moves done w/ a band around your ankles or hands while in a plank position. After 4 days of it, my arms are somewhat like gelatinous goo, but I managed to get through most of it without barfing up my pancreas.

Frankly, I am a bit surprised at how much it's taxing me. The aches & pains of what are probably little used stabilizer muscles, as well as pounding on infrequently abused joints are more detrimental than actual strength/endurance deficits. P90X seemed easier, but it's hard to say if I'm in that much worse shape than 2 years ago (I'm 30lbs lighter and have been in the gym a lot more, so I doubt this), or it's being nearly 49, or this is just hard.

Tomorrow, cardio & abs again.

Now off to tune up 2 bikes, fertilize my yard, clear up the tree I cut down 2 weeks ago, and go check on a dodgy starter for someone. Thank God for 4-day weekends to relax.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 10-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Dirty Dirk, Canadian Doof

DAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milk
Good on ya Tim!!
Not quite as dedicated.... The Gym at work, the TRX and the chin up bar in the shop are the current punishers

Dirk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trxforcekit_zoom.jpg (19.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 10-07-2012, 07:11 AM
Under Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK47 View Post
Good on ya Tim!!
Not quite as dedicated.... The Gym at work, the TRX and the chin up bar in the shop are the current punishers

Dirk
Thanks. I have a desk job these days. That coupled with stingy "my Irish ancestors survived the potato famine" genes presents a wonderful opportunity to easily grow nothing but a bigger ass....
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 10-07-2012, 07:17 AM
Under Construction

So, day 6, which I really did this morning (day 7 is recovery) instead of yesterday was what he called sprawl & brawl. Think some standing/lunging punching move followed by some torture in a plank position, w/ a few ab moves rolled in for fun. The pace keeps the heart rate up and the sequence of moves repetitively works up & down the body. Compared to some of the previous workouts, it was a bit tame. Although that may be because I twisted my left knee in July and seem to have aggravated it again, so some of the jumpier moves were replaced w/ add'l pushups.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 10-07-2012, 07:59 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Sounds absolutely brutal. I'm slowly getting myself conditioned well enough to start P90X again, but this looks far more challenging.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 10-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Doof Cadet

Last Cigar Smoked: don't smoke no friggin ceegars
knuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sock
Needless to say. At your age, you need time to recover and rest.

Are you sure you should be going 3-6 days in a row?

Doofbag Fer EverI smell Fish
Old 10-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Under Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckleheader- View Post
Needless to say. At your age, you need time to recover and rest.

Are you sure you should be going 3-6 days in a row?
I am not keeping up w/ the people in the vids, yet, but working at my own pace. I don't have any of the usual over-train symptoms, so I'll keep at it. The jello arms from the other day were gone in the hindu pushups today. Other than the problem knee, I feel good. I am just going to baby that for as long as it takes and press on w/ the rest until/unless I hit the wall.

Commentary up thread notwithstanding, it's a tough workout, but I am only a few years older than some of his test subjects. I didn't try the P90X fit test before I started this--maybe I should have. I think more than anything else, TapOut is simply exercising muscles in different planes of movement, and our bodies are outstanding at getting used to doing things efficiently in one way--and they don't like change much.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 10-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Under Construction

Well, the doc told me today that the medial collateral ligament is sprained and I need to be nice to if for about 3 weeks to see if it improves before he'll be taking any pics of it. Rest, ice, elevation, brace, mobic, voltaren gel, and don't jump on it. So, back to liftin' weights for a while...to be continued.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50