Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 06-02-2013, 06:00 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Bumping this one,
How did they work out?

Sent from my phone
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 06-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Double-D

DaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
It's my opinion that all "heat issues" with Harley Big Twins can be solved with a combination of tuning and cam timing. Stock cams (even the 255) have no overlap, which means the cylinders build heat. Combine that with the standard lean tune and non-optimized timing, and the bikes get hot.

Street tuning with either a TTS or a Powervision will eliminate the vast majority of felt heat. The BSL ran flawlessly in 105 degree ambient air and DC Beltway traffic with stock cams.

I did a very rudimentary tune on Dave's bike, which (according to him) helped a lot. With another hour or so of seat time, I bet I could solve the problem entirely.

Edited to add: Not saying that fans are necessarily a bad idea, just that they're masking the problem rather than solving it.
Your ability to move in traffic and ambient temperature can come into play as well.

Ich bin Sven Hoek.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSkip View Post
Your ability to move in traffic and ambient temperature can come into play as well.
No doubt, but the larger issue here is the motor's state of tune and cam timing. The new CVO is a blast furnace. I have no desire whatsoever to change cams, but good Lord does this thing get hot.....Way hotter than the BSL did with the converters still on. That's the cam timing coming into play. Those fans will blow air on the motor to cool the engine, but the hot air looks like it's going to be blown right on the rider's leg.

That's no good solution as far as I'm concerned.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 06-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Dirty Dirk, Canadian Doof

DAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippsy View Post
that would be a great system for me, my bike freaks out when I have to go through manhattan in the summer, I get about half way across in traffic at about 75 degrees and she is detonating like a mofo!

keep us posted!
I wish I had a more detailed report! It's been a slow start to the season and I haven't had the July / August turbo heat gridlocked with tourists yet. The couple things I do know....

- The TTS map done by Fullsac with the not cat X-pipe and 2.25SD cores do a damn fine job in heat reduction.
- The fan has not come on by tstat yet, but I wired a bypass around the stat and toggled it on a few times. The fan moves a surprising amount of air, when your duck walking it thru downtown traffic. A lot of that hot air is directed onto your right leg, but I can stretch it out and all is good.
- I will do some proper tests with the Fluke to see the cylinder head temp drops, put even using the hand method it seems to make a significant difference.
Longevity and such I can't comment on yet..... But the build quality seems very bulletproof and the turbine whine off them gets rid of the valve train rattle

Dirk
Old 06-02-2013, 06:56 PM
grapenutless

y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
So the next question is if I dick around with ve tables and or spark advance where would I adjust it to?

Sent from my phone
who's to blame in 2014?
Chitty Chitty

Old 06-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
25 degrees of advance at idle. What's your Lambda value there now?

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 06-02-2013, 07:35 PM
grapenutless

Not at the computer

Sent from my phone
who's to blame in 2014?
Chitty Chitty