Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 08-23-2016, 06:28 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
THUNDER MAX.....

.....pros.......cons......

Gonna need a new tuner...

along with a new motor

This tuner was recommended by the local indy.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:30 PM
snow pirate

Last Cigar Smoked: No thanks.
stoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
New motor?!? What happened?

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST.

GFFG
Old 08-23-2016, 08:28 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney View Post
New motor?!? What happened?
Started out as a small vibration on my way home the
other day. Then it turned into a big vibration
the next day.
It seems that the barge was/is cursed with
the dreaded '07 crank issue. Looks like a
Dark horse crank is in my future......along
with some other goodies.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:30 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
Had a TTS on my Deluxe. It was recommended by a smart Dave when he did the 95" build.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 08-23-2016, 08:33 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Before you jump on the DH crank. Price an S&S. You may find the price to get your crank fixed and matching an off the shelf S&S is equal or could even cost more. Talk to Orbit about the cost to rebuild his crank.

I've gone the S&S route with each bike and have no regrets.

For the tuner, where will you have it tuned? What do they use? Looking for somewhere else to get it done next time ?

Kimber

Old 08-23-2016, 09:14 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlfitr View Post
the next day.
with some other goodies.
I don't have the paperwork in front of me, but I think it was around $500 to disassemble the crank, resize the rods, new rod bearings, new crank pin, balance flywheels, reassemble, true and weld, pro-plug. That was what they did the first time.

They were able to save it when the junk passed through the motor last summer. I think it cost $450 to rebuild it the second time, same stuff as above. Plus they had to polish the oil pump end. The crank was out of warranty, but they knocked a little off the cost anyway. I'll not complain. Plus they re-warranteed it.

It was out and back in a week or 10 days.

New stock HD crank was like $1200, S&S slightly more.

Call John at Darkhorse: (920) 726-9999. He's a good guy to deal with. Darkhorse does real good work.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:26 AM
snow pirate

Last Cigar Smoked: No thanks.
stoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlfitr View Post
the next day.
with some other goodies.
Well, ya still have the phat boy.......

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST.

GFFG
Old 08-24-2016, 06:11 AM
gAZINTAs

ginya doesn't need a tube sockginya doesn't need a tube sockginya doesn't need a tube sockginya doesn't need a tube sockginya doesn't need a tube sockginya doesn't need a tube sockginya doesn't need a tube sockginya doesn't need a tube sockginya doesn't need a tube sockginya doesn't need a tube sockginya doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
This is true...& God only knows if I could ever ride again. So guess
it'll be up to dzlfitr to keep it from being lonely!
Old 08-24-2016, 06:27 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

Quote:
But....but....but.....that's a girlie bike.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:29 AM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit View Post
I don't have the paperwork in front of me, but I think it was around $500 to disassemble the crank, resize the rods, new rod bearings, new crank pin, balance flywheels, reassemble, true and weld, pro-plug. That was what they did the first time.

They were able to save it when the junk passed through the motor last summer. I think it cost $450 to rebuild it the second time, same stuff as above. Plus they had to polish the oil pump end. The crank was out of warranty, but they knocked a little off the cost anyway. I'll not complain. Plus they re-warranteed it.

It was out and back in a week or 10 days.

New stock HD crank was like $1200, S&S slightly more.

Call John at Darkhorse: (920) 726-9999. He's a good guy to deal with. Darkhorse does real good work.

Wait...what? I thought it was closer to 1400 to have DH do their thing. Did that price include splitting the cases and assembly?

I have my crankcase out of my bike now and considering options for rebuild.

Found the rods are "sticky" on the crank pin when spinning over by hand.

In my case I would also need the end play set for the timken when they assemble.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:30 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'm not a fan of the T-Max. Why replace the Delphi ECM with something else? There was a lot more R&D money behind the stock ECM than T-Max could even dream about. And the T-Max has no knock sensor.

Your best options are either the TTS Mastertune or the Power Vision. I've got extensive experience with both, and I'd pick the PV based on its ease of use.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 08-24-2016, 08:57 AM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I have a Thundermax and Smart Dave knows how to tune them.

Meng

TKWSV

Old 08-24-2016, 11:51 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Stockman View Post
I'm not a fan of the T-Max. Why replace the Delphi ECM with something else? There was a lot more R&D money behind the stock ECM than T-Max could even dream about. And the T-Max has no knock sensor.

Your best options are either the TTS Mastertune or the Power Vision. I've got extensive experience with both, and I'd pick the PV based on its ease of use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
I have a Thundermax and Smart Dave knows how to tune them.
Exactly why I asked the question about Tuners. Need to decide who your comfortable with, or how fare your willing to travel and have it done. See what your selected tuner is good with, and then pick from the list.

Kimber

Old 08-24-2016, 01:05 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy View Post
Wait...what? I thought it was closer to 1400 to have DH do their thing. Did that price include splitting the cases and assembly?

I have my crankcase out of my bike now and considering options for rebuild.

Found the rods are "sticky" on the crank pin when spinning over by hand.

In my case I would also need the end play set for the timken when they assemble.
The first time it was, I wanna say $1200-ish, for Darkhorse to split the cases, machine the left case for the Timken conversion, repair the crank, then reassemble with new seals and bearings (including cam bearings), and adjust the end play of the crank, including labor. I think they reinstalled the cams, oil pump and cam plate, too, before it went back to Hoban's engine shop for final reassembly.

That was when Hoban's built the motor, so the whole bike was up there.

2nd time, the bike was at Uke's in Kenosha, and the whole bottom end had to come apart again. This last time it was split the cases, send the crank to Darkhorse, R and R the bearings and seals, reassemble, blahblahblah.......

This time the bearings were sticky, just like yours, which meant the rod bearings and/or pin were hurt. I got the hurt stuff here in a box, I don't wanna look at that stuff tho.