Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Carburetor
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 04-24-2007, 10:01 AM
BigAlsRK

Carb rebuild kits

Anyone know where i can get a carb rebuild kit for a Keihn 40 CV...2000 FXDL.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Al,

Don't think I've ever seen an aftermarket kit. Last time I had to rebuild a carb I ended up taking it apart and carrying all the pieces I felt needed replacing into the dealer and built my own kit.

Pro'lly not what you wanted to hear, eh?

Edit: 06 touring parts book does not list a kit either.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 04-24-2007, 09:22 PM
BigAlsRK

Just wanted to change out the jets, gaskets and springs and give it a good cleaning.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Hates D, 4 and Green

tibs has failed to amuse us
I bought a complete service kit for my carb from Dennis Kirk. It was 11 years old. It was due for some new gaskets for sure. I just changed the intake gaskets and they were hard as hell and cracking, didnt have a reason other then I felt it was time. As for the jets, its a different story - I didnt know what was done to this thing so I bought a dynojet kit and a new factory slide, and followed the instructions to get where I had a good idea.

All in all, the bike runs the same as before I did all of this stuff.

Do you have something wrong or are you a tinkerer? What I would suggest is going to a bike swap or landing your hands on a carb on ebay (Part number is on the carb to help you find it) and then play with THAT ONE, so if you screw something up you have the original to go back to. Thats what I did, and man did I screw it up BAD the first time.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:50 AM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Float bowl Gasket 27577-92
accelerator pump diaphram 27361-76
0-ring by diaphram 27360-76
spring 27162-89
fuel valve with clip (float needle) 27886-78a
intake seal carb to manifold 27002-89
intake manifold seal (2) 26995-86a
accelerator pump cap 27311-76

Jets you are on your own, but theshop will have them based on what size you ask for.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:11 AM
BigAlsRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
Float bowl Gasket 27577-92
accelerator pump diaphram 27361-76
0-ring by diaphram 27360-76
spring 27162-89
fuel valve with clip (float needle) 27886-78a
intake seal carb to manifold 27002-89
intake manifold seal (2) 26995-86a
accelerator pump cap 27311-76

Jets you are on your own, but theshop will have them based on what size you ask for.
Thanks LB....I am having a problem with gas mileage, and raised idle (plan on taking a look and replacing intake manifold), and it has no mid-range umph anymore....I am also getting a whiff of fuel every now and then....and ideas?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Change out the intake seals, all three. That will throw off the idle if they leak.
Replace the fuel valve clip and reset the float level. The rubber tip of the valve wears and cause the float level to raise, which will screw up your millage.
Clean all the jets and the emulsion tube to get the gunk out of them.
Check the butterfly to make sure it is tight on the shaft. If it gets loose, that can screw thing up also.
Best cleaner I have found is B-12 Chemtool made by Berryman but watch out, it eats rubber.
Probably do not need to take off the top and take out the slide unless you are going to soak the whole carb body.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:33 AM
BigAlsRK

Thanks!!!!!!!!