Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Brakes, Rotors & Calipers
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 10-22-2016, 09:24 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Brake Vibration

So, my latest go around with the dealer experts.

At the end of September went on a ride to Las Vegas, via Death Valley, on the way to the valley floor from the West approach you drop down into the Panamint valley before you get to Death Valley proper.
There are some really nice curves going into Panamint on the downgrade.

That is when I noticed the entire front of the bike shaking whenever I applied the front brakes.

So... I have finally gotten it up to the dealer this past week so they can check it out.

Here is what they found was causing the vibration...

They found the rotors are within factory run-out specifications, so they installed (replaced) front wheel bearings as they have decided that the bearings are the culprit in causing the vibration under braking.

But they are going to test ride it some more and see if the vibration is gone...

Now, I failed to mention to them that I took an advanced riders course in which during the "panic" braking portions I was smelling roasted brake pad smells, I didn't want to get into the blame game of something along the lines of, I had failed to keep the tires inflated with factory approved air.

In my 30 some years of working on the four wheel vehicles I never ran into a wheel bearing that caused a vibration under brake application, there were the few bearings that were worn or sloppy enough to allow the rotor(s) to push the pads back enough to give the driver the feeling of no brakes, until the pedal was pumped once or twice and the pads were pushed back to close contact with the rotor.

So Harley's must have some pretty unique wheel bearings that are smooth at high road speeds, but cause vibration under brake application...

Sigh...

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 10-22-2016, 11:40 AM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Yeah, maybe your fork tubes are floppin' around in the triple tree.

You need a fork brace.

Or a wrench.

Yeah, that's it.

Wiper fluid is depleted.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:48 PM
Above Average DDude

Last Cigar Smoked: A. Fuente, Curly Head
YankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sock
Probably overheated and warped the rotors.

Sh!t doesn't stink unless ya' poke it!

Deut 23:12-13 (How to sh!t in the woods)
Old 10-22-2016, 04:00 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Hummm, maybe possibly...

But the Rushmore platform has "full" floating rotors, the bolt is tightened through a "sleeve" spacer to attach them to the hub of the wheel.

Also, yes, does have linked ABS, but at lower speeds are un-linked.

Also I did notice some ABS cycling during the advanced course, there was a bit of a pavement bump just prior to where you were panic stopping, so the rear tire would hop and the ABS would cycle and when the rear tire hit back onto the ground I was being told that I was locking the rear wheel, I explained that the ABS was in cycle and when the tire contacted the ground there was probably a bit of tire scrub noise upon touch down when it had to start "rolling" again.

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 10-29-2016, 08:36 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Well picked the kitten up today, a quick blast down the road and lightly applying the front brakes confirms they are not fixed!

Anything above 40 MPH, just enough pressure on the front brakes to feel that they are starting to grab the rotor.

And...

It instantly feels like the road surface becomes very rough and the windscreen starts to shake and shimmy...

Beside them not fixing the brake shimmy shake, I now have a collection of oily hand prints on the forks, front fender and the exhaust heat shields and both muffler bodies.

I can't wait for the survey e-mail...

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 10-30-2016, 10:05 AM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I wouldn't wait.

Send a friendly note to MOCO and see if you get a response.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 10-30-2016, 10:12 AM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I know it ain't easy, because of your location, but I'd try a different dealership.

Or just order the rotors and fix it yourself.

I know. It's under warranty.

But it may be your only course to satisfaction.

How long you wanna mess with dissatisfaction?
Old 10-30-2016, 10:53 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

That may be the only way.

Now have to get a 2015 RTFS*M

*Service...

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 10-30-2016, 02:28 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
If it makes you feel any better, I ruint my rear rotor the other day.

Just sayin'.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:50 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Putting a full floating rear rotor on my '06 really improved the brake reaction time...

Sent from mobile device prone to spelling errors

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 10-31-2016, 06:30 PM
A. DooF

Last Cigar Smoked: Whatever was next in the Mega rotation
par_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Sad that repairing it yourself is the best course. It's faster and gives you the peace of mind knowing it's done right though. I'll do whatever I can to keep em out of the dealer.

And I've had both bikes in for service once and came out with handprints and/or oil to clean up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Iron View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I ruint my rear rotor the other day.

Just sayin'.

This story is lacking a few details. More words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I want to live and ride free, unencumbered by all but God's love." ~ Red Rider
Old 10-31-2016, 08:15 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

It's sad they treat the owner(s) like a moron.

Yes just what did befall your poor rear brake rotor?

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 10-31-2016, 10:56 PM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I need to do something about my squealing rear brake

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 11-01-2016, 09:19 AM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Butte View Post
Yes just what did befall your poor rear brake rotor?
Shortest way to explain is, steel pads are kinda rough on steel rotors.

Wasn't paying much attention to pad wear as I had put new (stock HD) pads on recently. Ride to work and back most every day. Most days in the rain around here. Didn't notice any grinding or noise at all. Just noticed less braking power. Hmm, less than 4K miles on those pads. Although a lot of those miles were heavy traffic, light to light stuff. Gave it a look see and both pads were slick steel only. And the rotor was down around .020" on each side.

I have no explanation. I flushed fluid in the spring. Cleaned caliper pistons when I changed pads. I believe the rain may have kept the situation quiet for awhile. Bad pads maybe? Don't know. Have new rotor and EBC pads now so I'll see what happens.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:20 AM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Brake Vibration

I wouldn't fix it on my dime yet, I would call HD and complain that a safety issue was not repaired and I expect satisfaction