Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Oil & Lubrication
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Oil & Lubrication Possibly, we need just one more discussion...

Old 10-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken R View Post
I've always used Teflon tape, a few wraps around the threads. Is it as good, or should I go to paste?

It's always worked, by the way (the tape). I've never changed an o-ring.

Ken
I realized the value of paste over tape when working in the methane gas recovery industry.

Once we switched to paste the pesky leaks stopped.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:00 AM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I use tape.

For hydrocarbons, like oil, works great...

And a new asshole (oilfield slang for o ring) on eack plug EVERY time.

Sometimes ya just gotta Tapatalk
From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 10-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
I clean and inspect the o-rings. If they look good I lightly oil and re-install.

Never had a leak or problem.

Now that I've made that statement I expect karma to bite me.

Greg
Old 10-03-2013, 10:50 AM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I have a $28,000 motorcycle, and I am putting $50 worth of Amsoil in it.... I can afford a couple of 59 cent o rings.

My 2 cents

Quote:
Kudos!

Last edited by SafetyMan; 10-03-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Double-D
I am Doof

Bluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyMan View Post
I have a $28,000 motorcycle, and I am putting $50 worth of Amsoil in it.... I can afford a couple of 59 cent o rings.

My 2 cents

Add some chrome baubles to it and you'll be in the 29's in no time...

Old 10-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Known Associate

Inspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thought
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy View Post
I realized the value of paste over tape when working in the methane gas recovery industry.

Once we switched to paste the pesky leaks stopped.
Tape is intended to act as a "lube" to allow tapered threads to be tightened without galling. Since paste acts as a better sealant without having to be extra tight, I use it with a new o ring every time on all three plugs. I think I am in the o rings somewhere around a nickle each so it doesn't break me.

I also torque the plugs every time as I have read of enough guys striping the threads that I don't want to go there by using the good and tite method....
Old 10-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Airhead

Ken R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steak
Well, I'm learnin' stuff I didn't know.

In 10 years of Harley ownership and maintenance, I've never bought a new plug o-ring. I guess I could. I know the dealership insists on new rings with each oil change.

And maybe I should start using paste instead of tape. Again, the dealership uses it. (I don't think it's in the shop manual, though).

Ken
Old 10-04-2013, 10:52 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
The thought of a piece of the tape getting lose and plugging a wee-bitty passage has kept me from ever using it on the bike. And I use a torque wrench, every time. I spent my formative years twisting off all manner of bolts, so I have it out of my system now.

Sent from my li'l ol' iPhone 4S augmented w/ a mophie juice pack plus® using Tapatalk.
Probably from the crapper.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
A tad bit of tape could possibly make it's way to the oil jets in the con rods.

But may get stopped before then (most likely)...

I never torque the drain plug, but maybe I have a touch for it.

I do know the majority of my cop cars I take care of have over 100 K miles with factory drain plug, unless Mongo at the dealer did an oil change, then he used a six foot breaker bar to install it and rolled the threads over.

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 10-04-2013, 12:40 PM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

I see that as unlikely if you use the tape properly. Tape from the second thread back to the head, and never over the end of the plug.

I'm sure a dab of paste could also wreak havoc on the oil ports as well, if a person was careless. ..

Quote:
Kudos!