Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Oil & Lubrication
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Oil & Lubrication Possibly, we need just one more discussion...

Old 07-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Used oil analysis

So I sent an oil sample from the BSL to Blackstone Labs for analysis. There's an awful lot of (what I consider) BS on the various Harley forums about what sort of oil you "should" use, and how often it needs to be changed. And then there's the whole "oh noes, it runs so HOT" thing. I'm hoping to put all that to rest.

I was in a hurry, so I drained the oil cold. I think that explains some of the high mineral counts. The oil was in for 5,600 miles, and took me to Eureka Springs and back, as well as to Florida and back. There was an awful lot of highway running, a good thousand + miles of high rpm backroad riding, and the remainder was commuting (and being stuck in traffic) and normal cruising. The oil was in the motor for less than 4 weeks. Ambient temperatures ranged from the low 80s to 105. My air filter was filthy, so I think that explains the elevated silicon number.

I'm a little concerned about the viscosity rise, but I'll wait for my next sample to start panicking. George, if you're out there, I'd love to hear your take on this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E19694.jpg (97.7 KB, 170 views)

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 07-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
But how did it taste?
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why_Me View Post
But how did it taste?
Like chicken.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
Awesome. I was thinking it looked more like chocolate syrup, just needed clarification for when I drop the Amsoil out of my bike.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:54 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
my stuff just comes out of the side of the transmission so its hard to gather up.....
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 07-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Known Associate

george douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
So I sent an oil sample from the BSL to Blackstone Labs for analysis. There's an awful lot of (what I consider) BS on the various Harley forums about what sort of oil you "should" use, and how often it needs to be changed. And then there's the whole "oh noes, it runs so HOT" thing. I'm hoping to put all that to rest.

I was in a hurry, so I drained the oil cold. I think that explains some of the high mineral counts. The oil was in for 5,600 miles, and took me to Eureka Springs and back, as well as to Florida and back. There was an awful lot of highway running, a good thousand + miles of high rpm backroad riding, and the remainder was commuting (and being stuck in traffic) and normal cruising. The oil was in the motor for less than 4 weeks. Ambient temperatures ranged from the low 80s to 105. My air filter was filthy, so I think that explains the elevated silicon number.

I'm a little concerned about the viscosity rise, but I'll wait for my next sample to start panicking. George, if you're out there, I'd love to hear your take on this.
Russ,
This is a good sample as wear is way below what the universal averages are according to Blackstone. I suspect the viscosity increase is due to oxidation and nitration that this lab does not have the equipment to test for. Oxidation and nitration can be caused from fuel air mixture and if the filter was starting to be restrictive due to dirt this would affect the air fuel mixture and drive up viscosity or it could be computer generated if your bike is fuel injected. You put the oil through the test and it was still protecting very well. I am also concerned with how high the zinc was since it was slightly higher than when it came out of the bottle. Since Blackstone is not a certified lab I wonder when the last time their test equipment was calibrated. Let me know if you have further questions.
george
Old 07-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Securitas Emeritus

Homesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suck
FWIW, I was an aircraft mechanic in the Navy, working on air-cooled, radial, gasoline engines. Oil sampling was part of our routine. The Navy wanted the sample ASAP after engine shutdown, to minimize settling or separation of whatever might be in the oil.

joe

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Old 07-14-2010, 06:13 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
russ, I would take george up on his offer on the other side of his lab.
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 07-14-2010, 06:23 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by george douglas View Post
Russ,
This is a good sample as wear is way below what the universal averages are according to Blackstone. I suspect the viscosity increase is due to oxidation and nitration that this lab does not have the equipment to test for. Oxidation and nitration can be caused from fuel air mixture and if the filter was starting to be restrictive due to dirt this would affect the air fuel mixture and drive up viscosity or it could be computer generated if your bike is fuel injected. You put the oil through the test and it was still protecting very well. I am also concerned with how high the zinc was since it was slightly higher than when it came out of the bottle. Since Blackstone is not a certified lab I wonder when the last time their test equipment was calibrated. Let me know if you have further questions.
george

Like I said, I got lazy with the oil change (and it was damn hot that day) and didn't run the bike before I took the sample. It won't happen again.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Known Associate

george douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
George, if you would, let me know what lab you recommend, and how to get a sample kit from them. I'll probably be ready for my next oil change within the next 2-3 weeks.

Like I said, I got lazy with the oil change (and it was damn hot that day) and didn't run the bike before I took the sample. It won't happen again.
When ready give me a call and I will order them for you. They cost $25.00each, which includes the postage both ways and it is also a certified lab. Amsoil uses the same labs even though they have their own, as they don't want anyone to percieve that the lab results could be compromised coming from their lab. Who have you been getting your oil from? Also the way you took your sample is no problem and didn't have any affect on the readings. It is always best to take a warm sample, but in your case I don't think it mattered. I just sent in a sample from my airplane and I did it cold and actually drained the used oil from the cooler.
george
Old 07-14-2010, 06:37 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
Nice that someone is doing all the footwork for us

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Old 07-14-2010, 06:42 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by george douglas View Post
When ready give me a call and I will order them for you. They cost $25.00each, which includes the postage both ways and it is also a certified lab. Amsoil uses the same labs even though they have their own, as they don't want anyone to percieve that the lab results could be compromised coming from their lab. Who have you been getting your oil from? Also the way you took your sample is no problem and didn't have any affect on the readings. It is always best to take a warm sample, but in your case I don't think it mattered. I just sent in a sample from my airplane and I did it cold and actually drained the used oil from the cooler.
george
With the exception of what was in the bike when it was delivered from Harley, every drop of fluid and every ounce of grease in that bike is Amsoil purchased from you. I am extremely happy with the products and your service.

With the Polaris test kits, can I collect the sample at the drain plug, or do they want it siphoned out of the fill tube?

Old 07-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Known Associate

Quote:
With the exception of what was in the bike when it was delivered from Harley, every drop of fluid and every ounce of grease in that bike is Amsoil purchased from you. I am extremely happy with the products and your service.

With the Polaris test kits, can I collect the sample at the drain plug, or do they want it siphoned out of the fill tube?
Russ, I guess I have to many customers or getting too old not to remember your business. Me bad. If you use the drain plug you need to let it run for a little before you stick your bottle under it to catch the fluid. This allows some of the potential trash to run out first.
george
Old 07-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Breaker of Stuff

OK, that's how I did it the last time. I kept the dipstick in place to slow the flow out, let it drain for around 10 seconds, then took the sample.

I'll give you a call tomorrow and get the sample kit ordered.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:58 PM
R.I.P.
you know better...

mongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Oil freaks.

George, I'll have to try your stuff.

So long for now RedRider

Nine-mile skid, on a ten-mile ride,
Hot as a pistol but cool inside.
Like I told ya, what I said,
Steal your face right off your head.

1965------2006