Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Ask The Techs...
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Ask The Techs... This is the way it works. Post up your question in the appropriate Forum, then put a link to it here. We'll ask some very savvy folks to monitor the posts here and answer your question. If you are a Tech answering a question, please do it in the linked thread rather than here. In this way, we can build info in the appropriate Forum. Thanks.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:41 PM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

Last Cigar Smoked: Drew Estates Kuba Kuba (Lovely!)
stupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Stutter/ cough on stock Twin Cam 88" FLH

Ok, reachin' out for a good friend here.........
We have a dear friend who owns a 98% stock (Upgraded mufflers, and nothin' else) 88CI Twin Cam FLH, and he says it has a stutter/ cough/ dead spot at around 30 MPH.
I will be putting some miles on the bike today, to try and further define just what is happening, and will report back on it later this afternoon/ evening.
SO- any of y'all run into this? If so, what will fix it? Is this an inherent flaw in the fuel injection, or is something broke?
The bike is VERY well loved and cared for, gets regular care and maintenance, and is kept well tuned at all times. He runs nothing but hi-test in it, and usually runs Royal Purple oil in it (He buys it at Fairchild AF Base at a discount) it has around 30K miles on it.

Any help or suggestions will be welcomed here, as We would really love to help this guy out, and fix this issue.

THANKS!

just a big ol' Doof.....
I MARRIED me a PIRATE!!!....
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM
Old 09-14-2014, 01:52 PM
Augmented

Last Cigar Smoked: Saf Fran OG
Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock
Post how and where you think it stutters, as I'd like to know.
My bone 88 has had an occasional cough but usually happens right off the bottom, and has almost made me drop it mid turn starting off. It is time for a fuel filter and related hoses. I thought mine could be from a bad fuel line in the tank

BOB

L.Ron Hoover Welcomes you to the
First Church of Appliantology
Old 09-14-2014, 02:38 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
There's a few things that come to mind.

1) What year is it? There were some in the early 2000's that had a shortened wire from the factory running to the front fuel injector. It would get tugged and pulled from engine vibration and eventually fail.

X) Fuel filter for sure, BUT.... also check the fuel pickup line in the tank. There's been many instances of them cracking and starting to suck air when the fuel level dropped.

17) The BIG one. Open mufflers, no air cleaner change? Has it had a tuner of some sorts, (SERT, TTS, Power Commander, et al) installed? If not, these pigs run lean as it is. If more air is going thru the engine than fuel to mix with it, it's gonna do a lean stutter. You're describing a flat spot. Common on carb'd bikes and lean FI bikes.

BB) Check the intake flange gaskets for leaking. Fully warmed up, at idle, squirt some WD-40 on the flanges. If it stalls, they're leaking.

That should keep you busy for a while. Report back, I'm curious.

Meng

TKWSV

Old 09-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I had a similar experience with my '03 Low Rider.

One of the injector wires had an internal "break" in it. You could just make out the "z" in the line. It wasn't obvious at all.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 09-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

stupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle View Post
Post how and where you think it stutters, as I'd like to know.
My bone 88 has had an occasional cough but usually happens right off the bottom, and has almost made me drop it mid turn starting off. It is time for a fuel filter and related hoses. I thought mine could be from a bad fuel line in the tank

BOB
Ok, it just seems to completely miss a few beats, then picks right up again, with no apparent reason, and it does do it at lower throttle settings, as when you whack it, it responds, and just pulls like a train, with zero issues whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
There's a few things that come to mind.

1) What year is it? There were some in the early 2000's that had a shortened wire from the factory running to the front fuel injector. It would get tugged and pulled from engine vibration and eventually fail.
It is a 2005, so that ain't it.......

Quote:
X) Fuel filter for sure, BUT.... also check the fuel pickup line in the tank. There's been many instances of them cracking and starting to suck air when the fuel level dropped.
Ok, but would it be so intermittent? (and it does it chock full of fuel, or low- no difference.)

Quote:
17) The BIG one. Open mufflers, no air cleaner change? Has it had a tuner of some sorts, (SERT, TTS, Power Commander, et al) installed? If not, these pigs run lean as it is. If more air is going thru the engine than fuel to mix with it, it's gonna do a lean stutter. You're describing a flat spot. Common on carb'd bikes and lean FI bikes.
Does not have open mufflers, (and ZERO tuner, this guy is NOT mechanically inclined), and again, it is very difficult to get it to do it. and it will happen at steady throttle settings, and again, only once in awhile. The plugs from this bike are literally, picture perfect, so it does not look like a lean issue at all, and having been involved in racing and hot rods for so long, I know EXACTLY what that looks like

Quote:
BB) Check the intake flange gaskets for leaking. Fully warmed up, at idle, squirt some WD-40 on the flanges. If it stalls, they're leaking.
Have not done that yet, but it is on the list.....

Quote:
That should keep you busy for a while. Report back, I'm curious.
I rode the bike about 90 to 100 miles today,(MAN it was good to get out and ride with Wendy beside me!) got it to do it once on the highway at 60MPH (cruise off, throttle only) got it to do it a couple of times in town, at around 30MPH. (Again, cruise off)
Honestly, it feels like it may be developing a dead spot in the throttle position sensor.
It literally feels like the engine stops running for a beat or two, then comes right back like nothing happened.

The other stuff you guys mentioned does not sound like it is the issue.
The bike has about 30K on it, and like I said, it is VERY well loved and maintained.

just a big ol' Doof.....

Last edited by stupidglide; 09-14-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero View Post
I had a similar experience with my '03 Low Rider.

One of the injector wires had an internal "break" in it. You could just make out the "z" in the line. It wasn't obvious at all.
Hmmmmmm............
Now that may have some credence............
Requires replacing the entire injector, I'm guessing?

just a big ol' Doof.....
Old 09-14-2014, 10:34 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidglide View Post
Hmmmmmm............
Now that may have some credence............
Requires replacing the entire injector, I'm guessing?
No, it's the wire coming from the harness to the injector.

Meng

TKWSV

Old 09-15-2014, 01:09 PM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

Quote:
No, it's the wire coming from the harness to the injector.
OK, added to the list of "stuff to check"..........

Now I'm just waitin' for some of the other heavyweights (Smart Dave, for one) to check in.

just a big ol' Doof.....
Old 10-24-2014, 06:52 AM
Site Sponsor
Doof Member

JDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
First thing on my list to check is fuel pressure. than check codes.
You should have 59-60 psi running and when you turn the bike off, it should hold pressure for a while. It usually will drop to about 55 psi when the bike is not running.
Pull the air cleaner off and check that the throttle shaft is not cracked by the throttle blade.
Look at the intake seals and the seal between the two piece throttle body for dampness and spray while running to see if the idle changes.
Be careful to spray away from the air cleaner otherwise, you can get a change in idle from spray getting sucked in through the air cleaner.
After that, start with the basics, Plugs, wires, battery terminals,check all electrical connections for corrosion.
Start the bike and wiggle the wires by the injectors and surrounding sensors and the switches too.

Route 412, Bethlehem. 412 = (4, 1+2=3) = 43