Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Natural born delinquent

RKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
New Clutch and Compensator

Added a few "upgrades" over the past few nights...well, an upgrade and a "ride enhancement" patch. Threw in a Barnett Extra Disc clutch pack and an SE compensator. Prep work...

Here are some pics (but my documentation is no where near on par with Mikey's)...

Outer primary cover cracked open and oozing. (Notice the soft warm glow of the too-small heater)

Primary (sans tensioner) & stock comp bolt coming off.

Tensioner with 13,512 miles on it. (Frickin' little wedge is slippery)

Rotor/Spring Cover off. The reason for <this> thread. Pulled if off with no problem and didn't even need any "hooky" things

A word of caution if you do this and a clutch...don't take the primary chain, compensator assembly and rotor off before you break loose the clutch nut...

The stock compensator parts...

vs. the SE compensator parts (and an SE clutch spring).

Chickie could not believe the size of the new compensator's spring pack.

Rotor on and spring pack mounted on the shaft extension. The new rotor is a tad bigger than stock. I had to loosen the starter and inner primary cover, then rotate the inner primary cover a bit to get the rotor to fit over a ridge at the bottom of the inner primary cover.

Giving the friction discs a bath. This is the part when I discovered the difference between lightly and tightly...

New compensator and clutch on (with the old tensioner). Jumped right over that clutch assembly - but it was kinda like making lasagna - some of this, a layer of those, more of these...

All buttoned up and purty...heel shifter and all. Steel Tonka dump truck, too!

Checked it for leaks then took it around the block. First impressions are good - no starter bang and starting from a dead stop was very smooth with no shudder that I sometimes got with light throttle. I'll let you know more when I do...

~ Royal Order of Knights d'Catnip ~

E PLURIBUS DOOFUM
Old 02-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
Way to go otter!

Interested in how she does during something more that an "around the block" trip

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 02-26-2009, 10:23 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Thorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sock
How the pull on the clutch vs. stock?

Thorns

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms." "Gimme back, gimme back my bullets"

Old 02-27-2009, 03:59 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Nice work Tim. Guess the top end is next?

I took the barnet clutch spring out and went back to stock 06 spring. The barnet spring was killing my arthritic grip.

Kimber

Old 02-27-2009, 05:26 AM
Natural born delinquent

RKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scabbydoo View Post
Way to go otter!

Interested in how she does during something more that an "around the block" trip
Thanks Scabby. Me too, man...time in a bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorns View Post
How the pull on the clutch vs. stock?

Thorns
'bout 1.5x as stiff. Thanks for the heads up on the compensator BTW - you are doing your part to stimulate the economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkodiak View Post
Nice work Tim. Guess the top end is next?

I took the barnet clutch spring out and went back to stock 06 spring. The barnet spring was killing my arthritic grip.
I'm coming to get you Mike....

I just got the discs from Barnett - no spring. Wonder what theirs is like compared to the SE - same thing? The pull didn't feel that bad on my short test run but that opinion may change in time...

E PLURIBUS DOOFUM
Old 02-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: comancho
Sonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
very nice job... why the change if I can ask? was it slipping?

Chris
RIP MONGOOSE

2002 RK Police
95 Big Bore Kit, Weisco Flat Top Pistons, 9.13:1
Engine built by Wilsons of E-town,KY
Vance and Hines Ovals
SE Air Cleaner, K&N Filter
2006 HD Stock Heads
Andrews 26G Cams
Dyno'd by ENGINES BY OTTO

851st ARMY SECURITY AGENCY - Europe - 74-77
Old 02-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Natural born delinquent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
very nice job... why the change if I can ask? was it slipping?
Parts for the top end (103 and heads) are waiting, wanting, begging to go on...

At this point, I can only hope that the clutch "would have" slipped had I not done it. The compensator - right or wrong, my idea of a band aid on the fragile 07 crank. I really wanted to do the Timken conversion and either a new S&S crank or a reworked one...but that was just too much $$ at this point.

E PLURIBUS DOOFUM
Old 02-27-2009, 10:44 AM
R.I.P.
<--- Captain Itch!

Red Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Good work Tim. Is that a bigger compensator Sprocket? Increase your final drive ratio?

'Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.' - William Penn

I want to live and ride free, unencumbered by all but God's love.
'06' FLSTNI, $43 per gallon!

Old 02-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Double-D

Dsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographic
Thanks

Thanks for posting the pic Tim !! Nice work !

Old 02-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Natural born delinquent

Thanks fellers! This has been learning experience for me - and alot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
Good work Tim. Is that a bigger compensator Sprocket? Increase your final drive ratio?
Now there's a helluva question...

I don't think so. I just counted the teeth - 34 & 34. Don't recall any mention of it in the instructions or Harley's web page.

E PLURIBUS DOOFUM
Old 02-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKotter View Post
I'm coming to get you Mike....
Hey, I didn't start it...

Quote:
I just got the discs from Barnett - no spring. Wonder what theirs is like compared to the SE - same thing? The pull didn't feel that bad on my short test run but that opinion may change in time...
Dave says the SE is stiffer. I don't know. All I know is the Barnett spring was a bit*h in traffic, and I already have the EZ ramps installed. I'm going to keep it handy and see what happens after I hook up the trailer loaded and test it out. Who knows, I may have to put it back on.

Dave also says that Barnett makes another cable with reduced resistance for easier pull. When you get a tune, if it's slipping you should notice.

Kimber

Old 02-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: comancho
Sonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Parts for the top end (103 and heads) are waiting, wanting, begging to go on...

At this point, I can only hope that the clutch "would have" slipped had I not done it. The compensator - right or wrong, my idea of a band aid on the fragile 07 crank. I really wanted to do the Timken conversion and either a new S&S crank or a reworked one...but that was just too much $$ at this point.
Just about the time I think I am learning, I find out I dont know sh1t!...
My engine had the Timken bearings so I didnt worry about it. What is the actual function of the compensator?? and is this something i need to be concerned about?

Chris
RIP MONGOOSE

2002 RK Police
95 Big Bore Kit, Weisco Flat Top Pistons, 9.13:1
Engine built by Wilsons of E-town,KY
Vance and Hines Ovals
SE Air Cleaner, K&N Filter
2006 HD Stock Heads
Andrews 26G Cams
Dyno'd by ENGINES BY OTTO

851st ARMY SECURITY AGENCY - Europe - 74-77
Old 02-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Lookin' good Tim.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 02-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Double-D

Dsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographic
Best year...

Quote:
My engine had the Timken bearings so I didnt worry about it. What is the actual function of the compensator?? and is this something i need to be concerned about?
Actually...your bike is prolly the best year of the twin cam ! You not only have the Timken lower end but you have the good crank too and first year of the Delphi fuel injection !!! AND better swing arm I think. (2002)

Last edited by Dsanchez; 02-27-2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: omission
Old 02-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Original Delinquent

Quote:
I believe the compensator issues are only with the 07 and later bikes. HD change the compensator in 07. Then introduced the Integrated Drive System (IDS) as stock item on the 08 to quiet the drivetrain. The IDS can be installed on the 07 bikes. Now there is apparently a SE upgrade to the compensator.

If you ask me, it looks like a continuation of crappy parts, with more costly add on's for something that should have been stock in the first place. (i.e., HD is now selling the SE timken upgrade). Of course, you'll only have to split the case to have it installed.

Kimber