Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Oil & Lubrication
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Oil & Lubrication Possibly, we need just one more discussion...

Old 11-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Thumbs up Jagg 10-row oil cooler

Got it all done. 4 hours riding yesterday, 4 hours riding Friday. In the bitter cold on Friday morning, oil temperature was 190 degrees. Yesterday afternoon it got up around 60, oil temperature was 195 degrees. That's a beautiful thing, as it ran 230-240 in similar weather 2 weeks ago on the Fall Foliage ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010155.jpg (107.9 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg P1010156.jpg (87.4 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg P1010154.jpg (132.6 KB, 167 views)

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 11-08-2009, 10:22 AM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
shouldn't it face flat against the wind?
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 11-08-2009, 11:44 AM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
No oil temp gauge + Amsoil = no problem.

I don't have one of those high fallutin' engines, either...
From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 11-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kflhr View Post
shouldn't it face flat against the wind?
Bernoulli's Principle

I was skeptical too.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Hmmm...

Serg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sock
Shouldn't the fins be facing the direction of the wind? I can't see that working as good the way you have it mounted. The way you have it mounted looks good and all, But the wind should run through the fins not around. And it looks kinda close to the engine. Hopefully the heat from the engine wont effect it. My two cents.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Breaker of Stuff

It's installed the correct way. The airfoil in the front creates a low-pressure area behind it, which draws air around the fins (the above-linked Bernoulli Principle). As I said, I've seen a 40 degree temperature drop with the cooler installed.
From Jaggs' website....
Quote:
The 10-Row Vertical High Performance Jagg Oil Cooler is designed especially for Harley-Davidson Motorcycles.

The cooler mounts to the left frame down-tube, spaced away from the frame to allow airflow to both the oil cooler and engines cylinders. The cooler is mounted to the frame using unique, highly durable, Uralite mounts which have a shock absorbing effect and clean styling. The in-line mounting orientation insures that the cooler takes up as little space as possible while the unique airfoil creates a low pressure zone, drawing air "inside-out" through the oil cooler. The 10-Row oil cooler's two-pass design offers significantly more cooling surface than our closest competitor. Special in-line turbulators add to the cooler's efficiency with minimal oil pressure loss or restriction. Aluminum construction with durable powder coated finish.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Double-D

BigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
It's installed the correct way. The airfoil in the front creates a low-pressure area behind it, which draws air around the fins (the above-linked Bernoulli Principle). As I said, I've seen a 40 degree temperature drop with the cooler installed.
From Jaggs' website....
Air flow pulls the heat away instead of just ramming into the plate. Bernouilli was the MAN! Also why lift sucks.

gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2007
gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2015
Old 11-08-2009, 03:49 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
its different than the one that I had, that one needed to be in the wind....

carry on....
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 11-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Doof Cadet

Last Cigar Smoked: don't smoke no friggin ceegars
knuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sock
I just knew Russel would have followed the directions.

And noticing the "wing" suspected some such useless conolli principal.

so there..

BTW, been checkin the mpg's

on that hot motor?

Doofbag Fer EverI smell Fish
Old 11-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Mileage is still running around 40, but I've still got regular 10W-40 in it for the break-in period. I'll be switching to Amsoil 10W-40 in another thousand miles or so, then back to the 20W-50 in the spring.

If the mileage stays around 40 I'll be happy (of course, more would be better).

Old 11-12-2009, 09:07 AM
Just breakin' balls

71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk
http://www.hdtalking.com/oil_related...r_install.html

This shows the cooler (Jagg) mounted vertically, on the left down tube facing the air flow.

I wanna live forever...So far so good

Stoney61 is a Demi God

I'm not bald, it's a solar panel for a sex machine!
Old 11-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71baldboy View Post
http://www.hdtalking.com/oil_related...r_install.html

This shows the cooler (Jagg) mounted vertically, on the left down tube facing the air flow.
Different model, that's a 1000 series, mine is a 2100. That one doesn't have the airfoil on it.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Just breakin' balls

71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Different model, that's a 1000 series, mine is a 2100. That one doesn't have the airfoil on it.
Nice cooler BTW.

40f is a nice drop in temp.

I wanna live forever...So far so good

Stoney61 is a Demi God

I'm not bald, it's a solar panel for a sex machine!
Old 11-12-2009, 09:36 AM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

KingThrasher can happily embrace the suckKingThrasher can happily embrace the suckKingThrasher can happily embrace the suckKingThrasher can happily embrace the suckKingThrasher can happily embrace the suckKingThrasher can happily embrace the suckKingThrasher can happily embrace the suckKingThrasher can happily embrace the suckKingThrasher can happily embrace the suckKingThrasher can happily embrace the suckKingThrasher can happily embrace the suck
Ummmmmmm Russ.....

uh, thats cool and all and it looks great on yer scoot......

But...uh.......well......

Whats with the Reddish pink spark plug wires?

Does that make it go faster?

" A PiRaTeS Life for Me "
Old 11-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Breaker of Stuff

That's one of the issues I'm going to have to address....They're the "red" braided wires from Magnum Shielding. In person, they look pretty red, but in photos (especially ones in direct sunlight) they look all kinds of pink.

I need to order some regular old Taylor Sumax wires.