Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Riders Clothing, Gear, Helmets, etc.
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 01-03-2015, 05:33 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Russ is right on about the socks and needed room in the boot. While I was shopping, another guy was asking about the socks. He was telling Patrick that his boots were pretty tight. Patrick flat out told him to stay away from the socks as he wouldn't be happy...

When we were riding over the pass, I didn't realize my 12v connection had disconnected. As a result, my fingers were Fukn cold and I couldn't understand why at the time... After we stopped on the other side and I found the problem, it was good to know just the jacket and pants kept me comfortable. The temp couldn't have been more than about 35 over the top..

Kimber

Old 01-03-2015, 05:58 AM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Stockman View Post
Ken, in addition to the insoles, they offer sock liners. I toyed with the idea of getting a pair, but figured that it was rare that I was riding Vader in the dead of winter, and that the insoles I already have would suffice. The sock liners really need a silk liner underneath, and a thin sock over top of them, which means you need to have some serious room in your boots.

I can't say enough how awesome the pants are. Mine are the older XE pants, but the principle's the same. The nice thing about mine (and I assume the new ones are the same) is that they're insulated as well as heated. On a Harley with a fairing and lowers, it's gotta be really cold to need to use the heat, and you really don't need to turn it up much.

Heated stuff is expensive, but the ability to ride comfortably in crazy cold weather makes them worth every penny I've spent.
Yeah, I got the Gerbings G3 gloves, a dual controller and a bit or two to tie 'em all together and I spent over $200.

I've noticed, too, how much the lowers help to keep things relatively tolerable while riding in the cold.

I have plenty of non-heated undergarments as I work outside in the winter, so I usually wear long johns under my jeans while riding, and that seems to work pretty well when the temps are in the mid-thirties and higher.

I'll wear a long sleeve t-shirt, a short sleeve t-shirt and a sweat shirt with the liner in my newer H-D jacket. I'm pretty warm with that.

But my feet get cold, so the boot insoles will probably be the next thing I get.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:09 AM
Doof Cadet

Last Cigar Smoked: don't smoke no friggin ceegars
knuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sock
i'll never have a problem with cubic dollars.........

Doofbag Fer EverI smell Fish
Old 01-03-2015, 08:52 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'm playing around with base layers now. A year or so ago I stopped wearing jeans under the heated pants, and just went with Under Armor Coldgear. I found myself much more comfortable, as I didn't have my jeans bunching up and the knees, and I wasn't sitting on pockets. Yesterday it got up to about 52 degrees, and with the UA on under both jacket and pants, I was warm - almost too warm - with the gear powered off. Up top I was wearing the UA, a cotton long-sleeve T, the Gerbing's liner, and my leather FXRG without its liner. By the time I got home it was in the low 30s, and with a bit of heat from the gear (dials turned on about 25%) I was comfortable.

A lot of guys swear by Merino wool, and I picked up a cheap long-sleeve top base layer that I'll try out on my next ride.

What seems to be universal consensus though is that cotton sucks, and should never be worn as riding gear. I can attest to the truth of this in extreme heat. I can wear my Power Ranger suit in higher temperatures than I'd be comfortable in just a T shirt and jeans.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 01-03-2015, 11:44 AM
Bard of the 43 Words

Last Cigar Smoked: 5 Vegas Miami
TimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suck
My heated gear mysteriously transformed into kitchen cabinets.
2003 FXD aka 'Wild Blue'
"Ask not what Doof Clenas can do for you, but what you can do for Doof Clenas." TimmyD (2006)

Old 01-03-2015, 11:46 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyD View Post
My heated gear mysteriously transformed into kitchen cabinets.

Oh look, he is alive.

No new motorcycles mysteriously appeared in the shed this year?

Kimber

Old 01-03-2015, 01:07 PM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

Last Cigar Smoked: Drew Estates Kuba Kuba (Lovely!)
stupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit View Post
Thanks, Mike. I'm gonna have to look into the pants..................

Slackers.

Just sayin'

just a big ol' Doof.....
I MARRIED me a PIRATE!!!....
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM
Old 01-04-2015, 06:29 AM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Ordered the heated insoles this morning from Revzilla. Had some 'zilla cash sitting in the account, which eased the pain somewhat.

Ordered the Gerbing to Battery Tender adapter, too. But from H-D as it's shipped free to my dealer of choice. And it was $6.33, inc. tax.

Yep, big spender. That's me.

Entering the 21st Century kickin' and screamin', I tell ya.......

Old 01-04-2015, 09:45 AM
Bard of the 43 Words

Last Cigar Smoked: 5 Vegas Miami
TimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
Oh look, he is alive.

No new motorcycles mysteriously appeared in the shed this year?

...or metros in the driveway...
2003 FXD aka 'Wild Blue'
"Ask not what Doof Clenas can do for you, but what you can do for Doof Clenas." TimmyD (2006)