Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 03-27-2007, 08:56 PM
8-Ball

Adding a Tach to a Road King Custom

thatoldbike did a nice tach conversion and was nice enough to share the info with me. The following is his:

I found the tach from a guy that had it on his Softail. It came with the tach, Softail mount (which I couldn't use) and the rear cover. Actually its just like the one in the link below on ebay. You will need a silver face tach (part numbers below) if you want it to match your speedo.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/harle...QQcmdZViewItem

There is a pink wire under your nacelle that has a plug on the end. That wire is for the tach. There is also a postive and negative wire that isn't used that has a plug on the end of it. That one if for the front fender light I believe. I went to the Harley dealer and bought the other side of the the two plugs so I could just plug the tach in instead of cutting wires. I believe you have to use the FLHRP (Police) parts manual to find the plug for the other end on the pink wire. Can't remember but I knew it was tough to find in the parts book.

I also drilled a hole in the front of the handlebar cover and put a grommet in there to run the wires through from the tach. I slid some braided line over the wires. I'll take a picture and email it to you. I think I still have some of that braided stuff and an extra grommet. Send me your address and if I find it, I'll drop it in the mail to you.

You will need:
68986-04 Silver face tach $140
67523-04 Rear Tach Housing $50
68961-98A Tach Mount $120
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Genui...QQcmdZViewItem

ebay Chrome stip on top of nacelle
ebay Handlebar cover (ask the guy below if he has the one that goes with that cover).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...QQcmdZViewItem

You should get a good price for your deflector to make up some of the cost.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ROAD-...QQcmdZViewItem

Let me know if you need an additional info. Good luck!

Old 03-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Road Glider

Always enjoy looking at that particular RK. Very nice bike.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:26 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Mike,

Can you get all that pre-scratched???
Old 03-31-2007, 08:22 PM
Resident Tough Guy
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: New World by AJ Fernandez
Rock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygiene
Lots and Lots - o -chrome. Bling Bling baby.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:39 PM
Doof Clenas Member

IRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suck

I'm putting a Dragonfly fairing on my 04 RK custom. I have to relocate my turn signals. I think I have the same passing lamp set up as you. Did you get new turn signals? Couldn't use reuse the stock turn signals?