Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > BMW
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

BMW Bikes that are engineered to be ridden... just sayin'...

Old 08-04-2014, 07:51 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Whoops, I did it again

BOPS is history, meet the Teutonic Terror.

Long story short, I found myself saying, "boy I wish I had the BMW for this" more and more often. The bike ran good, and I wasn't unhappy with it. I just wanted more than it ever could have done for me.

So at any rate, here it is. She's a loaded K1600 GTL. Here's the important stuff:

- 160hp/129ft-lbs from a 1649cc (101ci) DOHC inline 6-cylinder in a 709 pound bike.

- Dual A-arm (Duolever) front suspension, single-sided shaft-drive swing arm (Paralever) out back with a mono shock. Suspension's electronically adjustable for preload and damping.

- Partially linked disc brakes w/ABS.

- 3 riding modes: Rain (which softens the throttle response, steps up the traction control, and cuts output to 107/111), Road (which gives full power and loosens up the traction control), and Dynamic (which'll let you slide the thing around like a superbike)

- Full Bluetooth infotainment center, and a butt-ton of various information menus about the bike.

Got it last Wednesday night, got just shy of 500 miles on it now. The break-in regimen is no more than 5,000rpm up to the 1st 200 miles, then no more than 6,000rpm for the next 400. I've left it in "Rain" mode as I acclimate to it, and I've slavishly adhered to the break-in limits, but here's my initial impressions......

First of all, here's the way it fits.....

In practice it's pretty comfortable. I spent 5-1/2 hours on it yesterday, and while a better seat and highway pegs (which are on order) would be appreciated, I wasn't squirming to get off of the bike.

The stereo's OK, not great. At 75mph with earplugs in and wearing a half helmet, it's clear as a bell. Less so with the full face. It does a ton of stuff, though I haven't waded through that manual yet. It's got Bluetooth and iPod integration, and it's Sirius-ready.

The rider interface is accessed via a switch and a wheel. That gives you everything from the suspension settings to the heated seat & grip settings, to the tire pressure. It's relatively intuitive.

The suspension is light years better than BOPS's, and that was with JRI shocks, a CCE triple tree, and Ricor Intiminators. If you've ridden around my house, you know how rough our roads are over here (White's Ferry Road in particular). The GTL swallows these roads up in a way that the CVO never could. When I head up to the mountains, I can set it to sport mode and carve corners like I'm on a big sportbike.

In "Rain" mode ("Harley" mode) it approximates the power that BOPS made. With 200 pounds less to haul around and a much more aerodynamic shape, it flat-out flies. The brakes are stellar. The A-arm front end allows no dive in the corners at all, and the paralever rear suspension keeps stuff in line no matter what. Even with the reduced power I was 20-30mph faster through the corners on familiar roads....And this is on an unfamiliar bike. Once I get in sync with it and go full power it'll be 40-50mph quicker. This thing flat-out defies the laws of physics.

Nicely enough, at the reduced power setting, it's perfectly comfortable cruising along at the speed limit and being a platform for sightseeing. The only real bother (if you can call it that) is that there's zero flywheel effect. Pull the clutch in and the revs drop like a stone. Blip the throttle to downshift and it zings up to redline.

But damn.....Why is it that no one other than Harley can figure out self-cancelling turn signals? And really, I have to use a key to start it? Harley's had some form of keyless ignition for decades. Oh, and the stock seat sucks (though not nearly as bad as the torture device on HtFP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0486.jpg (82.8 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0489.jpg (82.4 KB, 161 views)

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 08-04-2014, 07:54 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
It's because Ricky beat the pants off you in ES?

Nice!

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 08-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Butte View Post
It's because Ricky beat the pants off you in ES?

Nice!

Nyuk-Nyuk-Nyuk

:snicker:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 08-04-2014, 07:55 PM
Double-D

DaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milk
I'm here for you Russ.

That is all.

Ich bin Sven Hoek.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Double-D
The Mechanic

d j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Like!

Old 08-04-2014, 08:33 PM
Dirty Dirk, Canadian Doof

DAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milk
Sehr Gute Russ..... Looked and lusted now and again, good on ya!!!! Did you buy with the rear storage case? So quick detach also??

Congrats,
Dirk
Old 08-04-2014, 08:37 PM
Somewhat Bionic

Last Cigar Smoked: Hoyo De Monterrey Robusto
Big Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Verra Nice.
Like the color too.
How is it 2 up?

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting '..holy sh*t ....what a ride!' - George Carlin

Old 08-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Last Cigar Smoked: Romeo y Julieta Churchill
BillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Ja das ist gut

Old 08-04-2014, 08:55 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
All the cases come off easily (like in a matter of seconds). Haven't ridden it 2-up yet, still acclimating to the power.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 08-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Double-D
Doof Gooner

Last Cigar Smoked: Bubble Gum
Redleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suck
I remember how much you liked the K bike a few years ago when they first came out. Very happy for you on this one.

"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out there having fun on motorcycles. It makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen
Old 08-04-2014, 09:37 PM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

Last Cigar Smoked: Drew Estates Kuba Kuba (Lovely!)
stupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
You are are a whoooore............ (think Lewis Black)

Just sayin'.............

(Nice scoot BTW, congrats!!!!!!)

just a big ol' Doof.....
I MARRIED me a PIRATE!!!....
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM
Old 08-04-2014, 09:48 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
I am not tall enough for that. Good looking bike, Russ. I hope it serves you well.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:12 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I forgot, H0NDA F6B...

Just sayin...

The beer has started to kick in.

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 08-05-2014, 05:02 AM
Double-D

BigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milk
Awesome Russ...just remember it doesn't defy all the laws of physics. Be safe my friend.

gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2007
gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2015
Old 08-05-2014, 05:11 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Congrats again Russ.

No floorboards though?

Kimber