Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Brakes, Rotors & Calipers
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 07-16-2014, 11:37 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
You think about these secondary drive belts and what they do is amazing.

Rotating a huge tire to get a 900 pound plus motorcycle up the on ramp to get up to 80 MPH to beat out the semi truck barreling along on the highway.

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 07-16-2014, 11:53 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Rear Brake Vibration, 2010 Ultra w/ ABS

Followed the book to the letter and it was damned tight when done this way, using their tool and method. I checked it over and over but eventually, had to assume that the Mothership knows best and I should take their word for it. I set it with the wheel off the ground as instructed. The fact is, the book says it's the same in the air or on the stand.
The CVO supplement has the same spec but only says on the stand.
2001 & 2002 books say bike upright and rider on board.
At any rate, the spec I used is the among the loosest given.
I'm wondering about the tool and if it's actually an accurate ten pounds.
This vibe is something new. 15000 miles not doing this. It's not a normal operating feature.
They ARE sealed bearings! They are just as well-sealed as our Southern border. Pop a seal out, inspect, test, pack, re-seal. They are now sealed bearings again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 07-17-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:02 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Yes in a pinch I too have cleaned and repacked "sealed" bearings to extend the life of the bearing.

Heck they probably ended up with better grease in them, being the NLGI 2 moly grease lover that I am.

I have shown some younger's how to do that and they act like I pulled a tiger out of my butt magic trick.

Many an Idler / tensioner pulley has been "repacked" on my patrol cars.

If you are gentle to the seal it isn't harmed and pops back in place.

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 07-17-2014, 12:03 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Tom, I did some mods and the bike makes more power but not the level that would require going to chain drive or anything at all like that. No dyno chart but I'd guess this thing is making a hundred horses but not much more.
I do think it could be *indirectly* related to the build..... Because I keep cranking on the throttle 'cause it's so darn much fun, now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 07-17-2014, 07:46 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Or one of your Cogswell cogs has some divot in it...

Eating at the belt.
How is the cog at the transmission output, any excess un normal movement?

Maybe a rock from *Moki Dugway?

*(Yes I know this bike wasn't there...)

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 07-17-2014, 07:52 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

And the belt deflection tool has to be better than a, push it just hard enough to check the deflection.

Heck the OHC engine belts were "about midway turn it to see if it can turn 90° for correct tension" or something like that.

If it was too tight it would really howl. One rear tire replacement I had to return after a block because my drive belt was howling.
I guess I mean there is probably quite a bit of range to the belt adjustment (engineered in)...

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 07-17-2014, 08:31 AM
Augmented

Last Cigar Smoked: Saf Fran OG
Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock
Rick, I'd be tempted to say it was the wheelies but the every four cog stumps me as well. I've never used their tensioner and I have ridden on my original belt for Eight years and 70K+ and have only the slightest visible signs of wear.
I have no motorcycle ABS experience, so your on your own there. Mike has made a little sense out of the vibration but again......
I hope you get it worked out soon and on the cheap, but my guess is your shopping for a new belt now.
Keep us posted on the cause and fix please.

BOB

L.Ron Hoover Welcomes you to the
First Church of Appliantology
Old 07-17-2014, 08:44 AM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
I agree with the too tight belt thought Ricky. I use the same tool and procedure and end up with a pretty damn tight belt. I can't figure out your evenly spaced belt damage issue though.

I'm betting tire on the vibration issue.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:35 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Holy Smokes!
HD is REALLY proud these days!
This belt is over $300 with tax! add gaskets and lube to do the replacement and this is a $400 hit. I'm not opposed to spending money on the bike (documents avail.) but just now....is not a good time.

I'll be on the lookout for alternatives. I won't use an aftermarket belt (been down that road) but I WILL consider a used factory belt. I will now have to decide whether to continue with this one for a while.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 07-17-2014, 04:02 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

That belt is a very high tech design and materials.

When I was a pipefitter at Gates rubber in the seventies, I somehow, , got into the R&D area of the plant during graveyard shift.

Here sits a Harley on some kind of dyno thing and, gasp, they have some kind of toothed rubber belt thingy on it where a chain should be.

And now we know how that worked out.

They also made snowmobile tracks at the time. We shut down that part of the plant, because we were told, something in the compounds of the track would cause cancer.

Or they were just shipping production to Mexico.

My '06 RG had 91K plus miles on the original belt, so it was adjusted about 8 tires/times during the time I rode it.

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 07-17-2014, 06:05 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
I had over 66k on my first one when Smart Dave suggested we change it. We already had the primary off, and were replacing the front hub because it was showing wear. It was starting to show a little wear. The second belt didn't last that long and parted from a rock with about 55k. Rear rotor was replaced the same time the second belt was done.

Ricky. I'd suggest you change this at home. If it parts on the road, your looking at probably 5 to 7 hours labor charge to have it done after you've been hauled in to a dealer. You should be able to do better on the price ordering online at 20% off on the parts too.

Kimber

Old 07-17-2014, 07:34 PM
Double-D
The Mechanic

d j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
That belt does not look healthy.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:15 PM
Diesel Man - DFFD

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O War Ruination
GregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Hey DJ,
I was riding a '59 Harley Hummer just like the one in your signature when I was 12.
Rode it all the way through high school and it was still running when I left to join the air force in 69. I have some very fond memories of that little bike.
Thanks for the memories.

BTW...did I successfully derail this thread?

How people survive without motorcycles is completely beyond me.

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -John Adams

Last edited by GregD; 07-17-2014 at 08:18 PM. Reason: 'cause I can't spell sometimes...
Old 07-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I wouldn't want to trust my pretty face to that belt.

And the one on my 76,000 mile Ultra looks a lot better than that.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 07-17-2014, 08:34 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Rear Brake Vibration, 2010 Ultra w/ ABS

Wel,l I've deduced that the "every fourth" sequence actually makes sense mathematically; 68 tooth rear and 140 tooth belt. A rock in the rear sprocket would create the pattern (hits every 68th tooth of the belt; third mark falls four teeth short of the first...lather/rinse/repeat) after twelve circuits of the belt the sequence repeats.

The rear sprocket looks very good but there is one very small nick or dent in one tooth. The nick is likely the only evidence of the rock that I'll find.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 07-18-2014 at 06:41 PM.