Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > Remodeling or Building
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Remodeling or Building Got a project going or finished... Got a question...

Old 08-23-2009, 08:32 AM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
AC may be dead....

After taking Billy to the airport, came home to a muggy house. Went to check the AC, and it was on.....no cold air. Have had the problem before, but a breaker cycle was what fixed it. well, turned everything off for a bit, went back and turned it on. Adjusted the thermostat and the blower comes on. Walked out back, the outdoor unit is not on. Felt the top, the motor seems to have crapped the bed. What are my options? Can the motor be replaced or are we better off finding a replacement unit indoor and out? The entire unit is pretty old, and I knew we were on borrowed time, I just didn't expect it to happen now.

If anyone knows of a good AC dude or dudette near Baltimore that won't rake us over the coals, please comment.

Cheers.

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Bard of the 43 Words

Last Cigar Smoked: 5 Vegas Miami
TimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suck
How old is the system? It is a heat pump? If over 15 years, then yea, a new one is probably a good idea.
You might just be low in refrigerant, i.e. a leak that needs fixin'.

...'memeber, I'm just a doof on a vetical learning curve to get educated on home HVAC.
2003 FXD aka 'Wild Blue'
"Ask not what Doof Clenas can do for you, but what you can do for Doof Clenas." TimmyD (2006)

Old 08-23-2009, 09:23 AM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyD View Post
How old is the system? It is a heat pump? If over 15 years, then yea, a new one is probably a good idea.
You might just be low in refrigerant, i.e. a leak that needs fixin'.

...'memeber, I'm just a doof on a vetical learning curve to get educated on home HVAC.
It's not a heat pump, just a regular AC unit. I let the unit cool off for a bit, and then turned it back on, makes the usual noise, thought the fan in the outside unit doesn't spin........Time to start shopping. This unit's pretty old, I think it's 22 years old

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: comancho
Sonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
yeah new one.... much better SEER ratings....save you some on the Electrical Bill...

Chris
RIP MONGOOSE

2002 RK Police
95 Big Bore Kit, Weisco Flat Top Pistons, 9.13:1
Engine built by Wilsons of E-town,KY
Vance and Hines Ovals
SE Air Cleaner, K&N Filter
2006 HD Stock Heads
Andrews 26G Cams
Dyno'd by ENGINES BY OTTO

851st ARMY SECURITY AGENCY - Europe - 74-77
Old 08-23-2009, 09:33 AM
along came Blondie......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
yeah new one.... much better SEER ratings....save you some on the Electrical Bill...
That's what I'm thinkin too......just wasn't expecting to spend that kinda money....

Old 08-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Somewhat Bionic

Last Cigar Smoked: Hoyo De Monterrey Robusto
Big Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Might be some stimulus money/tax rebates available too.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting '..holy sh*t ....what a ride!' - George Carlin

Old 08-23-2009, 10:59 AM
R.I.P.
chemo toddy

y2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milk
if the compressor comes on and the outside fan doesn't, take a look at the fan capacitor. if it's swollen or has a bad terminal, remove it and take it to an electric motor shop and have em test it. it'd be alot cheaper just to replace the fan motor then the whole unit. but, with a new unit you'll see the drop in your electric bill monthly and you won't be waitin for that day when the compressor dies.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
$1500 or 30%, which ever is lower, tax credit for 09 and 10 on this sort of stuff. But, I agree w/ Todd; fan motors are cheap. Maybe fix this one and save some pennies to upgrade the whole system later.

I'm currently saving pennies to swap out my 23-YO system.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 08-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Above Average DDude

Last Cigar Smoked: A. Fuente, Curly Head
YankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sock
Is the compressor running and the fan not? Could be the fan.
If you are tight on cash, then repairing it will be cheaper than replacing it. If you want to replace it, then it won't be cheap. But, will be a helluva lot more efficient than what you have now.

Read here:
http://ezinearticles.com/?New-Laws-o...AC)&id=1944343

Sh!t doesn't stink unless ya' poke it!

Deut 23:12-13 (How to sh!t in the woods)
Old 08-23-2009, 12:13 PM
along came Blondie......

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k king View Post
if the compressor comes on and the outside fan doesn't, take a look at the fan capacitor. if it's swollen or has a bad terminal, remove it and take it to an electric motor shop and have em test it. it'd be alot cheaper just to replace the fan motor then the whole unit. but, with a new unit you'll see the drop in your electric bill monthly and you won't be waitin for that day when the compressor dies.
Yeah. compressor coming on, but no fan. Fan motor is hotternhell though, so I think it's toast. Where can I find the capacitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBob View Post
Is the compressor running and the fan not? Could be the fan.
If you are tight on cash, then repairing it will be cheaper than replacing it. If you want to replace it, then it won't be cheap. But, will be a helluva lot more efficient than what you have now.

Read here:
http://ezinearticles.com/?New-Laws-o...AC)&id=1944343
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonChief View Post
$1500 or 30%, which ever is lower, tax credit for 09 and 10 on this sort of stuff. But, I agree w/ Todd; fan motors are cheap. Maybe fix this one and save some pennies to upgrade the whole system later.

I'm currently saving pennies to swap out my 23-YO system.
If I can repair this one, that's the way I will go. If not, then we may be looking at a good 18 months same as cash deal or one of the other incentives I've been reading about today.....

Old 08-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Could be the capacitor or the fan motor, as others have said. I would look into swapping the cap and /or motor to get it running, then wait for a few months to get quotes on the replacement. I expect you'll get much better prices then.

I wish I could fix mine with a cap right now. I'm right in the middle of pulling the suddenly-started-leaking A-coil out of mine this afternoon.

Now THATS fun.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 08-23-2009, 12:21 PM
along came Blondie......

Quote:
Originally Posted by masstch View Post
Could be the capacitor or the fan motor, as others have said. I would look into swapping the cap and /or motor to get it running, then wait for a few months to get quotes on the replacement. I expect you'll get much better prices then.

I wish I could fix mine with a cap right now. I'm right in the middle of pulling the suddenly-started-leaking A-coil out of mine this afternoon.

Now THATS fun.
Where's the capacitor? Where does one go to get a new one, or a new motor for that matter? If i can do this myself, that's the route I'll take.....

In looking at it, is the capacitor the piece located in a white-ish cover on the wiring going to the motor?

Old 08-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
If you were to post a photo I could be more help with the ID. There are caps for the compressor, usually mounted in the enclosed electrical panel on the outdoor unit (the "condensor" or "condensing unit") and there are one or two caps for the fan motor, sometimes mounted in the panel, but often directly on the fan motor.

Be aware that capacitors store energy, that's their job. After killing the breaker(s) and testing with a meter to be sure that the power to the panel is killed out, the capacitors still contain energy and will knock the holy crap outta ya if mishandled. The good news is that its pretty easy and somewhat entertaining to make them safe. After assuring that incoming power is completely removed (check it with a meter), then you can simply use the tip of a well-insulated screwdriver to bridge the two connections of the cap and it will discharge (arc/pow/golly gee-willikers-didja see that?) do that three times to be sure. No more arcing means no energy left.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 08-23-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

I need to add here that messing with this stuff could GET YOU KILLED.
Do not dive into it if you are unsure.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 08-23-2009, 01:17 PM
along came Blondie......

Quote:
Originally Posted by masstch View Post
If you were to post a photo I could be more help with the ID. There are caps for the compressor, usually mounted in the enclosed electrical panel on the outdoor unit (the "condensor" or "condensing unit") and there are one or two caps for the fan motor, sometimes mounted in the panel, but often directly on the fan motor.
Here are some pics....

Repair dude is supposed to call me back at some point to discuss the problem.....