Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Brakes, Rotors & Calipers
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 03-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Brake light switch

So I replaced my levers today, followed Frank's advice about not draining the master cylinder, and it was a piece of cake. Until I tested to make sure the brake lights worked.

Yes, I used a piece of cardboard to hold the lever back when I removed the old lever and installed the new one. The switch still works if I toggle it manually or with a screwdriver. But when the brake lever is disengaged, it's not pushing on the switch enough. I've taken everything apart and put it back together 4 or 5 times. No go. I put the stock lever back on. No go.

What did I miss?

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 03-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Not sure if the new ones have it, but there is a little copper wedge behind the switch to give pressure towards the lever. If it's missing the switch moves. Check the lever and be sure it's positioned properly on the switch, the cam on the lever can push the switch out of place when installing if your not careful.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Huh....Didn't see one of them. The switch itself is covered with a rubber sheathing.

I bet I broke the damn tip off of the thing, which pisses me off 'cause I did the cardboard thing.....

I took pics of the housing just in case I missed something glaring...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010561.jpg (51.3 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg P1010562.jpg (51.6 KB, 85 views)

Old 03-28-2010, 01:04 PM

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Huh....Didn't see one of them. The switch itself is covered with a rubber sheathing.

I bet I broke the damn tip off of the thing, which pisses me off 'cause I did the cardboard thing.....

I took pics of the housing just in case I missed something glaring...
I did the cardboard thing the first time too and busted it. Done it a few times since and don't use the cardboard anymore, I just use a lot of caution with good lighting to position the lever back into place.

That wedge is about 5/16 square in size and when in place is between the switch and housing.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Sh*t.

Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks Warren. I'm going to go futz around with it a little more to see if I can rig it to work 'till next week when I've got the appointment to get the ABS bled.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Sh*t.

Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks Warren. I'm going to go futz around with it a little more to see if I can rig it to work 'till next week when I've got the appointment to get the ABS bled.
Hope you get it figured out, there's a reason the dealer keeps the switches in stock.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Check the inside of the housing. Look for the little bent brass piece of metal. Make sure it's pushing the switch all the way out.

Meng

TKWSV

Old 03-28-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
Check the inside of the housing. Look for the little bent brass piece of metal. Make sure it's pushing the switch all the way out.
Skimmer

I said copper though......
Old 03-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Brass...........

Meng

TKWSV

Old 03-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Just looked, no joy.......

What pisses me off about this is that I know that those switches are delicate, and I was super careful about using the cardboard wedge, and I still broke the damn thing.....

How difficult is it to replace them?

Old 03-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Not hard. You will have to take the housing apart though.....
If memory serves me, you'll have to snake the wires thru the bars.....
Not sure of the differences between '03 and '10.

Meng

TKWSV

Old 03-28-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
Not hard. You will have to take the housing apart though.....
If memory serves me, you'll have to snake the wires thru the bars.....
Not sure of the differences between '03 and '10.

The one I bought didn't have wires long enough. I had to splice, solder and shrink wrap.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Great.....

Old 03-28-2010, 02:07 PM
ocifer slacky pants
Double-D

Location: Half way down the trail to hell, in a shady meadow of green
Last Cigar Smoked: Nub Dub
squish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
dealer....warranty work.....just sayin'

CAUTION! You have entered a Harley based forum. Apply a liberal amount of BS repellent to skin before reading anything by anybody.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Problem with that is that I've got non-stock bars and levers on it. I could always throw the stock levers back on, but the bars.......That's not gonna happen.