Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > General Maintenance & Service
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

General Maintenance & Service Doing it yourself or having it done...

Old 10-19-2011, 11:19 AM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Thorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sock
Russ, you don't have an air compressor? Get with the program, your new garage will like you better.

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms." "Gimme back, gimme back my bullets"

Old 10-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Smoker of Tires

Crabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
question...why doesnt this site have limitations on how big a pic can be? some of these guys post pics that really jack shit up
Old 10-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Bard of the 43 Words

Last Cigar Smoked: 5 Vegas Miami
TimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suck
...poo...

...I need a garage...
2003 FXD aka 'Wild Blue'
"Ask not what Doof Clenas can do for you, but what you can do for Doof Clenas." TimmyD (2006)

Old 10-19-2011, 12:13 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Appleton View Post
question...why doesnt this site have limitations on how big a pic can be? some of these guys post pics that really jack shit up
your screen is just too small....
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 10-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Smoker of Tires

Crabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippsy View Post
your screen is just too small....
thank you
Old 10-19-2011, 12:31 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Your welcome

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 02-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
So I've had Vader on and off the Atlas 1500 lift enough to make a few observations.

The front wheel clamp works, but doesn't hold the bike very steady (at least not the 21" 120 on the front of Vader) and is a PITA to clamp while you're steadying the bike. I ordered and installed a Condor trailer chock (more on this later). Disappointing to have to do that with an otherwise high-quality lift.

Everything works well on the lift, the safety lock activates well, the ramps hinge perfectly, and the chopper extension and side extensions attach easily and securely. The thing's built like a tank, and I'd have no problem standing on the thing and working on the bike. With the chopper extension off, the table is just barely able to fit Vader.

The maximum lift height is 43", and that's just fantastic. Everything is easy to get to at that height.

The Condor chock is a nice piece. It doesn't play well with the Atlas table though, as the mounting holes for the chock end up right next to the two longitudinal channels running the length of the table. If you drill your holes 1/8" off-center, you're screwed and won't be able to bolt the chock down. In other words, measure it twice and make sure the drill doesn't walk on you.

It's unnerving as hell getting the bike into the chock, and I damn near dropped it the first time I tried. It's incredibly secure when it's in, and it's reasonably easy to get out, but it straight sucks getting it in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1266.jpg (72.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1270.jpg (82.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1269.jpg (66.8 KB, 55 views)

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 02-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
That looks like the trailer mounting option. I bought the free standing one and ended up mounting it to the lift instead of the one that came with the table. It holds the bike great. I only strap it down if I'm lifting the table. I can have it off in 5 minutes to put in a trailer or the back of the truck.

I think all of them are just a little un-nerving as the front wheel rides into the track and it locks into place. I'd like to add the side wings to have more to stand on and tool shelf while working on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0215.jpg (168.0 KB, 49 views)

Kimber

Old 02-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
That looks like the trailer mounting option. I bought the free standing one and ended up mounting it to the lift instead of the one that came with the table. It holds the bike great. I only strap it down if I'm lifting the table. I can have it off in 5 minutes to put in a trailer or the back of the truck.

I think all of them are just a little un-nerving as the front wheel rides into the track and it locks into place. I'd like to add the side wings to have more to stand on and tool shelf while working on it.
Yup, couldn't see the gain in getting the free-standing one so I got the trailer mount. It's kind of screwy too, 'cause you can't use the first and last mounting holes as they get in the way of the cradle and the wheel stop.

Mine's held to the table mounts with thumbscrews; the chock comes off the table in less than a minute.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 02-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
I got the free standing one so I could stand the bike up in the back of the truck should I need to haul it there.

I bought a cheap harbor freight one to haul the CVO back from Iowa that is very similar to the Condor but I don't fance the front support. I'll keep it as a spare should I need to haul a second bike in the trailer.

Kimber

Old 02-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Airhead

Ken R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steak
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
So I've had Vader on and off the Atlas 1500 lift enough to make a few observations.

The Condor chock is a nice piece. It doesn't play well with the Atlas table though, as the mounting holes for the chock end up right next to the two longitudinal channels running the length of the table. If you drill your holes 1/8" off-center, you're screwed and won't be able to bolt the chock down. In other words, measure it twice and make sure the drill doesn't walk on you.

It's unnerving as hell getting the bike into the chock, and I damn near dropped it the first time I tried. It's incredibly secure when it's in, and it's reasonably easy to get out, but it straight sucks getting it in.
HA! I did that on my lift. Drilled two holes to put in some eye bolts for tying the motorcycle down for stability. Got all finished. Lowered the table . . . . or at least tried to. No go! The bolts went into the little roller tracks.

DANG!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Airhead

Ken R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post

The chock I bought works just fine. It has a gas cylinder released by a quick release foot lever that raises the wheel track guide behind the wheel, locks it all together. I roll up into the chock and tap the lever with my toe. BINGO, locked in upright.

Ken

Last edited by Ken R; 02-08-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:43 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Thorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sock
I'm sticking with my red jack...

and a piece of cardboard...

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms." "Gimme back, gimme back my bullets"

Old 02-08-2012, 10:41 PM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken R View Post
HA! I did that on my lift. Drilled two holes to put in some eye bolts for tying the motorcycle down for stability. Got all finished. Lowered the table . . . . or at least tried to. No go! The bolts went into the little roller tracks.

DANG!
Too funny!

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 02-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Original Delinquent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken R View Post

DANG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel! View Post
Too funny!
Measure twice, drill once.

Kimber