Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Let Us Know About Upcoming Rides and Events > The Great Lakes Region
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

The Great Lakes Region Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Missouri, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'm gonna do a European Tour some day.

Should only take three days, tops!

<clicky>

Old 12-14-2013, 12:55 PM
snow pirate

Last Cigar Smoked: No thanks.
stoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Looks like it could be fun!

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST.

GFFG
Old 12-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Yep. You can ride through Michigan to Muskegon. Bypass all the mess that's Chicago. Take the Lake Express from there across Lake Michigan to Milwaukee. I'll meet you in MKE when you arrive.

If you get in relatively early on a Thursday we can go to the Harley Museum for bike night and hang out there for a bit. The Museum is a bit over 3 miles from the Express landing.

I ain't never been to bike night at the museum, so it'd be a good reason to go.

Maison d'orbit is 45 miles south of the museum. Spend the night here. We'll head out for Europe the next day.......

Last edited by orbit; 12-14-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:08 PM
snow pirate

Last Cigar Smoked: No thanks.
stoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
It's well over $200 for the ride across...... I'd be better off going around.

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST.

GFFG
Old 12-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit View Post
Yep. You can ride through Michigan to Muskegon. Bypass all the mess that's Chicago. Take the Lake Express from there across Lake Michigan to Milwaukee.

I did that ... the first trip that I mad to woody's place in Bismark .... what, 2009 I think it was ... at that time it cost me $175.00 for me and the bike. It was a cool thing to do and saved me a lot of time.

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 12-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Bon vivant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney View Post
It's well over $200 for the ride across...... I'd be better off going around.
For grins, I looked up the prices for the S.S. Badger, out of Ludington, to Manitowoc.

Thought it may be less expensive. It is. However, you'd have to ride more miles as you gotta ride north, then head south to MKE.

But. The tour could start up in Manitowoc and then work around counterclock wise. On the bottom end, you could peel off and scoot around Chicago on your way home.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Double-D
The Mechanic

d j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Yup.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:58 PM
Bon vivant!

Three full days, I reckon, to run the tour. I'm showing 1158 miles, more or less.

I'm done amending this thing. 27 towns/town halls/crossroads-in-the-middle-of-nowhere, all related by name to European villages/cities/states/countries oughta keep those who wanna get involved awful busy.

Imalone was added for whimsy.

Mileage has increased since the tour ideer first came together, substantially so.

I did random google street views of the route. If anything, the roads and scenery will be, for the most part, challenging and varied.

The roads are primarily Wisconsin state highways and county 'alphabet' roads. There are a few federal highways and less traveled township roads included in the tour.

Only two nights lodging will be required, and I've done initial interwebs scouting at logical day end points. Decent mom and pops are at both, with larger chain-type inns available nearby, if need be.

Dining options are plentiful. One will not go hungry on this ride, for sure.

And then there's the kitschy roadside attractions that'll take no effort to find, like the Hodag in Rhinelander........

I don't know if or when this thing will ever happen. It should be fun, tho, if it does.

Last edited by orbit; 12-30-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Double-D
The Mechanic

d j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Yes it will, Grasshopper. Yes it will.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:20 PM
gAZINTAs

lil Pistolero DPH has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowlil Pistolero DPH has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowlil Pistolero DPH has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowlil Pistolero DPH has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowlil Pistolero DPH has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowlil Pistolero DPH has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowlil Pistolero DPH has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowlil Pistolero DPH has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowlil Pistolero DPH has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowlil Pistolero DPH has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowlil Pistolero DPH has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I think that looks like an awesome time!........very cool.

"Before you begin to give someone a piece of your mind, consider carefully whether you can spare any."
A. unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by why_me View Post
My intentions were honorable.
I can't wait to dishonor my intentions.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:39 PM
Somewhat Bionic

Last Cigar Smoked: Hoyo De Monterrey Robusto
Big Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting '..holy sh*t ....what a ride!' - George Carlin

Old 12-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Looks like a great ride about, different take on a get together with no "base camp / motel" just find a nice town, early evening, with adequate lodging and nearby food / drink establishments.

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 12-30-2013, 09:52 PM
Somewhat Bionic

Last Cigar Smoked: Hoyo De Monterrey Robusto
Big Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
We gonna stop for pictures at each place? 27 stops with Doofs and zINTS? Better make it 4 days and lay in a supply of Sharpies. Oh yeah, tell Yolkum we need stickers designed. Maybe a patch?

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting '..holy sh*t ....what a ride!' - George Carlin

Old 12-31-2013, 10:01 AM
Bon vivant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cheese View Post
We gonna stop for pictures at each place? 27 stops with Doofs and zINTS? Better make it 4 days and lay in a supply of Sharpies. Oh yeah, tell Yolkum we need stickers designed. Maybe a patch?
Well, yeah, gotta take pics to show you were there, right?

Some of the places may not have signs, tho, especially the crossroads. Frenchville, Dutch Corners, Imalone, West Denmark, and Poland come to mind, although Imalone has a bar, Frenchville has a beautiful church, and Poland has a supper club. Moscow is two or three houses, but there's a turnout with a little sign explainin' stuff. Five minutes there, tops.

Day one will be busy, but stuff is clustered together, with decent open stretches. I'm thinkin' 400 or so miles that day. Spend the night in Amery or Balsam Lake. Two nice mom and pops there.

Day two will be lots of runnin' through the north woods with few stops. Maybe another 400 there. Spend the night in New London. One mom and pop, two national chains can be found there.

On day three, there's like 10 stops in 200 or so miles. That 'Green Bay' section's got a lot crammed in there.

Like I said, we'll be busy.

Stuff can be tweaked to make it work in three. Or shorten the daily mileage and make it in four. Four 300 mile days or three 375 mile days? How much are people willing to ride each day? How many people are interested in doing this in the first place? Dunno.

I thought real hard about eliminating that Danbury loop. But the roads look real nice up there. Piney forests. Sing songy roads. Can't miss Imalone! That day's ride may be the most scenic. So it remains.

Start somewhere else, like Madison? There's an idea. If so, three stops (East Troy, Rome and London) will be eliminated. And then you add another night's stay in a motel as that'll be the evening-meetup-prior-to-touring point. For you and me, it only lops 100 miles off the trip. And then the other nights lodging changes....

Lots of variables. See?

Patches and decals? Probably not. Why make more work?

This thing is mostly me daydreamin'. Got a goofy idea and ran with it. I enjoy laying out routes and doing the research. I got hours invested in this thing!

The google maps 'European Tour' is the result.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:41 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Butte View Post
Looks like a great ride about, different take on a get together with no "base camp / motel" just find a nice town, early evening, with adequate lodging and nearby food / drink establishments.
Pretty much how Sleeveless and I always travel. Although, most days it's not always convenient to be in the nice town by early evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit View Post
there's a turnout with a little sign explainin' stuff. Five minutes there, tops.

Hell, even a Master Cat herder can't match that.

Kimber