Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Ask The Techs...
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Ask The Techs... This is the way it works. Post up your question in the appropriate Forum, then put a link to it here. We'll ask some very savvy folks to monitor the posts here and answer your question. If you are a Tech answering a question, please do it in the linked thread rather than here. In this way, we can build info in the appropriate Forum. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:16 AM
really small member

Marko has failed to amuse us
96 ci engine longevity

Anybody have a handle on how many miles the 96 CI engines are lasting before they need overhaul ?
Old 03-21-2014, 11:52 AM
snow pirate

Last Cigar Smoked: No thanks.
stoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I've got 50,000 on mine so far with no issues.

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST.

GFFG
Old 03-21-2014, 12:35 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
That's a loaded question. Depends on how many annual miles, how hard you ride and the type of maintenance you perform.

With occasional cam tensioner, lifter and oil pump inspections it could last you a really long time.

If your hard on the throttle, dive into the twisties and hammer it coming out, maybe not so much.

Oh, and

Kimber

Old 03-21-2014, 12:56 PM
Razor

griffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sock
50 plus still like new !
Old 03-21-2014, 01:01 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
mine had 54 when I traded it in, engine was humming away....

I live on long island, not to far from you
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 03-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

Last Cigar Smoked: Drew Estates Kuba Kuba (Lovely!)
stupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Smart maintenance is key, and quite honestly, how it was broken in has a tremendous amount to do with the longevity of ANY air cooled engine.
Good ring seal propagates long life, as it keeps combustion by-products to a minimum, allows the engine to work at peak efficiency, and keeps lubrication contamination to a minimum.
The only problematic issues I have seen with the 96" engines, are the aforementioned cam chain issue, and either keeping an eye on it, or converting to a gear drive cam setup, and you shouldn't have any major problems.
I beat the ever-lovin' snot out of the one in the 2009 FXD that we had, and it ate it up and wanted more. That motor ran VERY strong, and every time I changed the oil, it was still pretty clean (I changed every 3000 miles, and used Amzoil from George)

Good luck!

just a big ol' Doof.....
I MARRIED me a PIRATE!!!....
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM
Old 03-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: Fuentes Fuentes Opus X Le Chateau
J.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Don't ask Russ this question....

Don't know who Russ is?

Don't worry...You will.

Welcome from NY.

A prospect from Prospect...that never happens.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:27 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
It's still a 96 incher?

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 03-21-2014, 05:38 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
75,000 on my '07 Ultra.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 03-22-2014, 09:11 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Butte View Post
It's still a 96 incher?

Well, mine is also...

22K...

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 03-22-2014, 09:19 AM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I've heard they can go over 100K

And Welcome!

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 03-23-2014, 03:42 AM
really small member

Marko has failed to amuse us
Thanks Guys, got 75k now and just wonderin' . .I thought they resolved the cam tensioner issue?
Old 03-23-2014, 06:39 AM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
Thanks Guys, got 75k now and just wonderin' . .I thought they resolved the cam tensioner issue?
You never stated what you ride...

Year model has a LOT to do with that statement.

Go on over to the MY STORY, THE BEGINNING (clicky) section and introduce yourself.

And welcome.
From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 03-23-2014, 09:13 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
The tensioners are now hydraulic and the chain is now a roller chain. It's still an item for inspection and maintenance as they do wear out, it just may take a little longer.

Kimber

Old 03-23-2014, 09:47 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Here's an example...
Of the new kind around 40K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3aduhupu.jpg (34.6 KB, 61 views)

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...