Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Air Cleaners
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 04-10-2009, 12:39 PM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Big Sucker II problem

Rode my bike 180 miles round trip for work on Wednesday. Got close to where I was going and stopped to get gas. When I pulled to the stoplight, heard a god aweful rattling sound like something came loose on the right side. Stopped at teh gas station, filled up and then started the bike back up. Was quiet at idle, but would "buzz" at anything other than idle. Listened to it a bit, but didnt have time to research. Continued my trip and got to work with intentions of checking it out after work. After work, same problem, but I narrowed it down to the AC. I could put my hand on it an it would quiet it down. Figured I would fix it when I got home. well, the rattling got worse once I got on the road so I pulled over and out came the tool kit. Off came the cover and then the filter, only one bolt was holding on the filter. 2 of the standoffs for the filter had broken the studs off flush with the AC backing plate. Has anyone seen this before? I'll take pics once I get some time to head out and investigate further. Nothing for me to do on the side of the road so I reassembled and zip tied the biyatch to the backing plate and reassembled. Made it home OK.

Any inputs? I am wondering how hard itll be to get those studs back out of the backing plate and standoffs so I can put new studs in and be ready to ride tomorrow. I guess, worst case, I can throw the factory AC back on for tomorrow......

Pics later.

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: comancho
Sonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
sorry got nothing,.... but wanted the opportunity to up post count.

Chris
RIP MONGOOSE

2002 RK Police
95 Big Bore Kit, Weisco Flat Top Pistons, 9.13:1
Engine built by Wilsons of E-town,KY
Vance and Hines Ovals
SE Air Cleaner, K&N Filter
2006 HD Stock Heads
Andrews 26G Cams
Dyno'd by ENGINES BY OTTO

851st ARMY SECURITY AGENCY - Europe - 74-77
Old 04-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Odd.

If you need it (and if it'll fit), I've got an SE air cleaner I'm not using any more.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 04-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Woody218

Frank, you should be able to drill down the center of the broken studs and use an easy-out to back them out of the a/c backing plate.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:17 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
I've got a gray SE backplate, too.
And the Ness filter fits, IIRC.
Can't help on the Ness particulars, though.
Never had one.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Just breakin' balls

71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk
Try contacting Ness...Ya never know.

I wanna live forever...So far so good

Stoney61 is a Demi God

I'm not bald, it's a solar panel for a sex machine!
Old 04-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Those are only s'posed to be torqued to something insignificant like 40 in-lbs. Could they have got way overtightened somewhere?
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 04-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Double-D

Dsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographic
JUNK

Don't mean to offend anyone but if you look on other forums...these AN Big Suckers have a record of breaking. I've had 6 Screamin Chicken a/c units and have never had a problem. I also replace my Screamin Eagle filter with K&N 0800. Sorry for your luck.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:19 AM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Odd.
If you need it (and if it'll fit), I've got an SE air cleaner I'm not using any more.
Thanks man, I got it worked out yesterday, details below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody218 View Post
Frank, you should be able to drill down the center of the broken studs and use an easy-out to back them out of the a/c backing plate.
The pieces left in the backing plate were long enough to get me vice grips on and twist them out. I even had enough in one of the spacers to do the same..... the other, well, read below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonChief View Post
Those are only s'posed to be torqued to something insignificant like 40 in-lbs. Could they have got way overtightened somewhere?
I'm meticulous when it come to torquing things. I have a feeling they broke from vibration and corrosion. There was a bit of corrosion around the area they broke

No pics sadly, was too intent on getting the scoot ready for a ride today (that didn't happen due to the rain). Went to HD to see if they had some replacement studs at least, no dice. Went to a local indy to see if they could help. I had planned on drilling the one spacer and getting what was left of the stud out of it. Well, one of the mechanics did it for me for $5 and suggested replacing the studs with something stainless from home depot. Off I go. ended up getting some 1/4x1 1/2 inch coarse thread pan headed screws. Once home, cut the tops off of them and made them to length. Put it all back together. All done. I even had some spares I made up should it happen again........

I guess it wasn't as bad as it seemed at first. If I find the time, I may shoot AN an email and let them know what happened. Not that big a deal really. Had it fallen off, I would be a little more ticked

Back to your normal programming......

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
Well done Frank. Your home cure may be better than original with the stainless studs.

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 04-11-2009, 08:22 PM
along came Blondie......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scabbydoo View Post
Well done Frank. Your home cure may be better than original with the stainless studs.
I hope so! LOL!

Old 04-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

PeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanchez View Post
Don't mean to offend anyone but if you look on other forums...these AN Big Suckers have a record of breaking. I've had 6 Screamin Chicken a/c units and have never had a problem. I also replace my Screamin Eagle filter with K&N 0800. Sorry for your luck.
Me too, what he said...big suka sucks, sucked and broke, then went to SE with KN800, never looked back.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Hangaround

Clayvis has failed to amuse us
I had a big suka on my Sporty. Never had any problems wit it, but did seem like the metal parts were kinda cheesy. Got a Doherty Machines Power Pacc for the Fatty. Now there is a quality piece, but you do pay for it...
Old 05-04-2009, 11:14 AM
along came Blondie......

My Big Sucker was good for almost 9k miles before it broke. Guess we will see how the next 9k go.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Hmmm...

Serg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sock
Wow I had no idea this was an issue. The one on my bike is a super sucker and it is broke as well. I just said f#ck it and left it on. Maybe I sould look into replacing it.