Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Air Cleaners
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 07-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Public Doofender

Highmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak View Post
I put the pipes & AC on my '06 Dyna... the experimental model phor the O2 sensors, and it ran extremely HOT with no ECM phlash. I still don't have the phlash, but I have a TFI instead.

N00dles Road Glide is an SE edition, probably already has the Stage one mods done.
According to American Iron, they changed the ECM in '08. (They had to change it anyway to accommodate the fly by wire throttle.) They claim that's why there is not a valid stage 1 flash for the '08's. They have had them for every previous year.

Did you know I liked Bobbers?

Last edited by Highmiles; 07-28-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:16 AM
A Delinquent by Birth

SLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sock
The Zippers air filter breathes better than the K&n and SE stage 1 and a few bucks either way.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Asst public Doofender

Yosamite Sam has failed to amuse us
Well thanks Red Rider that sounds mighty good of you. I will send you an address in a PM. Let me know about shipping costs.

lookin for a 43 DD
Member of Retreads
Retired MSG USAR
NRA Life Member
Gruntled Postal Worker

Last edited by Yosamite Sam; 07-28-2008 at 08:30 AM. Reason: left out words
Old 07-28-2008, 09:05 AM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
Yosamite, don't forget, you will still need the SE back plate assembly.

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 07-28-2008, 09:56 AM
ocifer slacky pants
Double-D

Location: Half way down the trail to hell, in a shady meadow of green
Last Cigar Smoked: Nub Dub
squish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
i've got one for a grey motor...

CAUTION! You have entered a Harley based forum. Apply a liberal amount of BS repellent to skin before reading anything by anybody.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Outlaw

Last Cigar Smoked: Camel WIDES
Sidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak View Post
I put the pipes & AC on my '06 Dyna... the experimental model phor the O2 sensors, and it ran extremely HOT with no ECM phlash. I still don't have the phlash, but I have a TFI instead.

N00dles Road Glide is an SE edition, probably already has the Stage one mods done.
I got an '06 Streetbob with a 2 into 1 pipe, and stage 1 set up. Remaped it with the Race tuner, and ran in on a Dyno to fine tune it. Then I changed the SE air filter to K&N, and got close to another 10HP out of it. The bike runs alot better now too.

"It's not the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog." - Michael Vick.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Doof Clenas Member

HarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
The HD 1508 is a direct K&N replacement for the stock '08.

K&N has a direct buy price of around 73 bucks, but you can order them through Jenni or some of the others (M&M, Zanotti, MyOilShop)..for about $62 bucks.

When you call them reference Drag Specialities part # 1011-1289

I added mine to my oil order to save shipping, they said it would take a couple of weeks to get in in.

I don't think you gain much other than having a better filter, since it still uses the stock airbox and back plate
Old 07-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Doug View Post
I got an '06 Streetbob with a 2 into 1 pipe, and stage 1 set up. Remaped it with the Race tuner, and ran in on a Dyno to fine tune it. Then I changed the SE air filter to K&N, and got close to another 10HP out of it. The bike runs alot better now too.
I don't know how to explain, changing one high flow air filter for another, is going to add 10hp.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Swiss Guard

phreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmiles View Post
According to American Iron, they changed the ECM in '08. (They had to change it anyway to accommodate the fly by wire throttle.) They claim that's why there is not a valid stage 1 flash for the '08's. They have had them for every previous year.
Different O2 sensors also? Or the ECM just handles the info it get's back phrom them different?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Doug View Post
Same bike, same philter. I greatly prefer the K&N to the SE.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:05 PM
GrayRider

My Road King SE filter has nearly 30K miles on it. Still good. I use K&N cleaner and water on it when it's dirty.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:04 PM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
I don't know how to explain, changing one high flow air filter for another, is going to add 10hp.
One "so called high flow" air filter is a Harley brand Screamin Eagle... the other is a true high flow filter.

Aren't you the one always pointing out MOCO's shortcomings and screwings of the general public?

Why would they use actual quality, when the sheeple will flock to it because it reads Screamin' Eagle??
From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 07-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Spit it out it ain't yers

KICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
That number does seem a little high.
F
F
B
Old 07-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Speaking from my bowels, with no real expereicne, I would attribute the 10hp gain, to either the dyno or some else changed with it.

Not saying impossible. But I doubt you would see 10hp if you took the air cleaner off and ran the dyno. But I am just guessing
Old 07-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayRider View Post
My Road King SE filter has nearly 30K miles on it. Still good. I use K&N cleaner and water on it when it's dirty.
You can do that with the old SE filter as it was a K&N. The new SE filter is a glorified paper filter and can not be washed.

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 07-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Excommunicated

The filter I bought spring of 04 was K&N. 46k or so on it.