Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > The Attic > MotoCamping
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

MotoCamping A forum where we swap campground reviews, trip reports, equipment reviews, bike packing, safety, NF, SF, State and National Park reviews, blahblahblah...

Old 06-12-2017, 11:54 AM
Airhead

Ken R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steak
2017 Motorcycle Camping Tour

This is a special event camping tour. Mike Savage (many of you have met him) officially is retired from the Richardson School District after 39 years in a couple of days. So this year's camping tour is aptly named, "The Principal Savage Motorcycle Camping Retirement Tour".

Dan named it, " The Mike Savage Un-Principled Camping and Debauchery Tour" That'll work, too.

Anyway, this year we'll be gone 15 days beginning July 1st. On the way up to the most northern point of the tour, Billlings, Montana, we'll be stopping at Bishop's Castle, Royal Gorge, Cripple Creek, and Mueller State Park which is on the west flanks of Pikes Peak.

Next day, we do Pikes Peak and a quick trip through Garden of the Gods before heading to Douglas, Wyoming.

On July 4th, we head through Casper and up to Billings/Laurel, Montana where we actually have hotel rooms for the night. Montana's biggest fireworks display is in Laurel. Should be cool.

Then, it really gets interesting. We're going to have breakfast with Larry at The Alpine Inn in Red Lodge. Remember Larry's great outdoor breakfasts? He remembers us and invited us to breakfast on the 5th.

After that, we're camping 3 nights in Yellowstone and two more nights in Teton National Parks. Some are worried about bears and are buying bear spray. I'm more concerned about sharing the roads with buffalo.

Then back south to Rocky Mountain National Park for 3 nights followed by one night in Great Sand Dunes National Park. We'll leave there and head south before turning east at Red River, NM to point the motors towards home.

If anyone wishes to see us along the way, I'll have a web page up for the tour with GPS spotting for our locations as we ride.

Ken

Last edited by Ken R; 06-23-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:50 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Sounds fantastic.
Have to remain here and help with "baby" sitting. The first week of July gets hectic here.

Breakfast in Red Lodge? Awesome!, maybe a midnight ride to the top of Beartooth?

Until SHTF happens I really don't desire to lay on the ground, well... maybe not the laying on the ground part, more of the need of a throne in the mornings and a nice shower stall.

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 06-12-2017, 06:34 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'm looking forward to following this.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 06-12-2017, 07:39 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
??

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19059997_1369253743129411_3308107800723898561_n.jpg (52.2 KB, 84 views)

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 06-12-2017, 09:43 PM
Airhead

Ken R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero View Post
??

Good one, Jim!
Old 06-13-2017, 04:54 AM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Sounds like a blast Ken.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:01 PM
Somewhat Bionic

Last Cigar Smoked: Hoyo De Monterrey Robusto
Big Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
sounds like a blast Ken! Ill be following along.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting '..holy sh*t ....what a ride!' - George Carlin

Old 06-14-2017, 03:45 PM
Airhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Butte View Post
Sounds fantastic.
Have to remain here and help with "baby" sitting. The first week of July gets hectic here.

Breakfast in Red Lodge? Awesome!, maybe a midnight ride to the top of Beartooth?

Until SHTF happens I really don't desire to lay on the ground, well... maybe not the laying on the ground part, more of the need of a throne in the mornings and a nice shower stall.
It's not so much the laying on the ground as it is waking up in the morning, crawling out of the tent, and doing a great big arm stretch and thinking, "It's a beautiful morning." or "Good morning America How Are You?"

Can hardly wait for the adventure to begin.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:03 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
There was the one night in Montana by a lake near Whitefish when the raccoons tried spooning me...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 06-14-2017, 04:48 PM
Airhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Butte View Post
There was the one night in Montana by a lake near Whitefish when the raccoons tried spooning me...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Spooning is usually nice. Maybe not with racoons.

At the Grand Canyon south rim campground last year, an elk was nudging one of our group through the tent wall.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:52 PM
Airhead

Thought I'd go ahead and post this website. It details our trip that starts on July 1st. That morning, I'll turn on SPOT and the spots should begin to appear on the map.

The unPrincipled Savage Motorcycle Camping and Debauchery Tour

I think all the links work.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:33 AM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I asked Ken to, if possible, include a stop at Alpine Red Lodge in the itinerary. We stopped in this morning for breakfast. Larry was as friendly as ever, loved seeing us again. He has spruced up the joint a little, with a covered patio in place of the tent for cooking.

We have to come back and stay here again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 07-05-2017, 10:34 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

An awesome place and people who run it!

I am so tied to this place to support the wife during the 4th of July "week" to cater to the guest needs.

The owner gives the support staff off / reduced hours to be with their family's during that time period, except for the desk staff.

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Last edited by Fe Butte; 07-05-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:33 PM
Airhead

What a fabulous and epic 15 days! I think maybe the best motorcycle camping trip I've ever been on. Ask Dan about whitewater rafting!

Most motorcycle trips consist of riding (or trailering) to a certain area of world and then daily motorcycle trips on different roads for the motorcycling experiences. OUR motorcycle camping trips are quite different. We ride our motors across the country and camp in mostly National Park campground; and then enjoy the sighs and activities in the area. The motorcycling part just happens by default as we travel to the different activities.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:27 PM
Airhead

Anyone recognize these guys?

Whitewater River Rafting in the Snake River, just outside the Idaho/Wyoming border.

http://snakeriver.elevationimaging.c...plate=fullsize

Dan, George, Mike, JD, Dennis, and me. This is the kind of things we do on our motorcycle camping trips.

Last edited by Ken R; 07-24-2017 at 02:33 PM.