Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > General Maintenance & Service
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

General Maintenance & Service Doing it yourself or having it done...

Old 10-06-2011, 12:42 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

hornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Cruz Tools

EconoKIT H1

If you’re on a tight budget but still want a complete tool kit, consider the H1. Five combination wrenches cover most fasteners, and an eight-inch adjustable wrench handles the rest, including most axle nuts. Locking pliers, an aluminum-body LED flashlight, tire gauge, hex and Torx keys, and much more will help get you back on the road in no time. The double-panel 600-denier polyester pouch is designed to last. EKH1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cruz Tools EconoKIT H.jpg (38.4 KB, 100 views)

Old 10-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Smoker of Tires

Crabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyMan View Post
I have a pretty comprehensive kit...

NO Snap On tools, however. My cousin has 3 Snap-On routes, and I won't buy that kit, IMHO, it's 35 dollars worth of tools for $200.

The bike gets the necessities, the good tools stay in the box. The way I look at it, if I need to make a roadside repair, I've got what I need. For the rest of it, I have towing, and warranty.

I bought the little duffle at Lowes, like 13 bucks for 3 sizes, I use another of them for my first aid kit... and they both fit nicely in saddlebags.

This is actual pics of my kit... some things I think are critical are:

Grip Glue- if you've never needed it... you will.
40A MaxiFuse.... it's 2 bucks, get one.
ZIP TIES, They are the new duct tape and bailin' wahr... but I still carry duct tape.

And I made a set of jumper cables that will plug from battery tender pigtail to battery tender pigtail, and have a set of alligator clamps just in case the other bike diesn't have a battery tender pigtail. I've never had to use them, but I think they will work, albeit a bit slow. Push starting will probably be quicker, but it was something that came through my head....

you carry that big of a case for that air pump? I used to just throw it in with the other stuff.

no wonder you call yourself "safetyman"

Last edited by Crabby Appleton; 10-06-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:12 PM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetbob View Post
I stayed dry with my Frog Togs coming back from Junction. 200 miles in the rain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSkip View Post
They work well. They will melt on a tailpipes. I know of a place that sells a patch that prevents the tailpipe damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSurly View Post
Big fan of Frogg Toggs here!

They breathe. 70mph on a RK and even heavy rain does not penetrate.
They lack a good closure at the boots but I saw somewhere that they offered gaitors, though I haven't found em.
Thanks! I'm going to check them out.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Outlaw

Last Cigar Smoked: Camel WIDES
Sidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero No Mas View Post
Depends on the ride.
I'll just pull over somewhere if I need a bathroom break.

"It's not the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog." - Michael Vick.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:10 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Had Frogg Toggs, but I've got the same cool rainsuit Ty Webb has now. Doesn't pack as small, but I like it way more gooder.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Double-D, MLA III, CLS

BluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Doug View Post
I'll just pull over somewhere if I need a bathroom break.
Bwahahahaaaaa

Droid Global 2 and Tapatalk reinstall # 5

Oil, heat, vibration and noise.

At work, oil analysis, thermography, vibration analysis, and ultrasonics.

At play, Harley.

Same same, right?

Only 43 more states to go!

Remember, never make a straight on a left hand bridge.

It WILL leave a mark.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:54 AM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSurly View Post
My thread-drifting query is essentially: what would your minimalist tool bag contain?

Ricky, this is minimalist... that bag is only like 10 inches long and MAYBE 4 inches in diameter. Drop it in the bottom of your bag and forget about it.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Appleton View Post
you carry that big of a case for that air pump? I used to just throw it in with the other stuff.

no wonder you call yourself "safetyman"

That's the foam it came in. I wrapped it in duct tape, and it will compress down under my saddlebag lid.

I ain't rich like you are, I cannot afford to buy another because I f*cked this one up.

Maybe some day I'll be as smart and rich as you.....
From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 10-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Trash

Last Cigar Smoked: The one in the ash tray
noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornrocker View Post
Cruz Tools

EconoKIT H1

If you’re on a tight budget but still want a complete tool kit, consider the H1. Five combination wrenches cover most fasteners, and an eight-inch adjustable wrench handles the rest, including most axle nuts. Locking pliers, an aluminum-body LED flashlight, tire gauge, hex and Torx keys, and much more will help get you back on the road in no time. The double-panel 600-denier polyester pouch is designed to last. EKH1

Now "YOU-KNOW-WHO" wants one!!!!!!!!

®
Old 10-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Smoker of Tires

Crabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Ricky, this is minimalist... that bag is only like 10 inches long and MAYBE 4 inches in diameter. Drop it in the bottom of your bag and forget about it.

That's the foam it came in. I wrapped it in duct tape, and it will compress down under my saddlebag lid.

I ain't rich like you are, I cannot afford to buy another because I f*cked this one up.

Maybe some day I'll be as smart and rich as you.....

well that sounded like a shot....I do know one thing tho.....I don't make comments about stuff I know nothing about....sorry I ruffled your feathers.

question if I may? where'd ya get the bag?
Old 10-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post

Not to worry, I understand the new CVO Street Glides come with that kit.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 10-07-2011, 12:23 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

hornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:

It wasn't very expensive

Old 10-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Bard of the 43 Words

Last Cigar Smoked: 5 Vegas Miami
TimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suck
I've got a CruzTools bag too, plus I added zip ties, fuses and a flashlight to it.
Weights about 5 lbs. or so.
2003 FXD aka 'Wild Blue'
"Ask not what Doof Clenas can do for you, but what you can do for Doof Clenas." TimmyD (2006)

Old 10-07-2011, 01:18 PM
gAZINTAs

J's 02 can happily embrace the suckJ's 02 can happily embrace the suckJ's 02 can happily embrace the suckJ's 02 can happily embrace the suckJ's 02 can happily embrace the suckJ's 02 can happily embrace the suckJ's 02 can happily embrace the suckJ's 02 can happily embrace the suckJ's 02 can happily embrace the suckJ's 02 can happily embrace the suckJ's 02 can happily embrace the suck
What are all those silver things in the tool bags? Do they help the flatbed driver find you quicker?
Old 10-07-2011, 03:52 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:

Wouldn't that be kind of like giving a puppy a loaded handgun?
Probably nothin' bad's gonna happen, but...

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:51 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I hear with eyeliner and rouge you can fix anything....thankfully I haven't had to find out on the side of the road....or a truck stop....but you can guarantee I'll find a few tons of it packed in my bike somewhere under all the bathrobes and flip flops...
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty