Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Wheels & Tires
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 05-09-2016, 03:21 PM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetoys View Post
I've had a few sets of tires on my dyna, the last couple being 880s and I learned they require high pressure (43-45 on my bike) or they will not last as long.
same on the FXR, they like to run hard

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 05-09-2016, 07:11 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Yellow grease pencil writing, not vulcanised, moulded in raised white letters...

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 05-09-2016, 07:36 PM
Zintaround

pa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Stockman View Post
880s on Vader. Never get more than 3,000 miles from a rear tire.
I'll take sticky over mileage any day!

Old 05-09-2016, 11:43 PM
My 'ol dog JACK in Heaven

Chromer is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChromer is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChromer is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChromer is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChromer is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChromer is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChromer is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChromer is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChromer is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChromer is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChromer is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Butte View Post
Are they dual compound tread?
I don't know if they are two compound rubber treads??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSurly View Post
...I got 13,500 on the 880s and the weirdest bit is that front and rear wore about the same.
MrSurly..
Yes...the tech with the micrometer commented that "it was a bit different that both the front and rear tires are wearing about the same.."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetoys View Post
I've had a few sets of tires on my dyna, the last couple being 880s and I learned they require high pressure (43-45 on my bike) or they will not last as long.
Toys...
Yes..was told "the Metz like Pressure..." I've been running 44 lbs. in the rear tire and 42 lbs. in the front tire.

--------

I'm limited on the selection of good tires out there because I like the looks (and handling) of the Road King Classic and the retro look with a wide white wall. Time (and miles) will tell if the Metz 888's are the "Cats Ass"??

As a matter of fact...Road Kings DO ROCK!!

"Betty" the '06 Road King. Our 10 Year Anniversary and 44,600 miles together...

(Initiation ride '07) (CO '07) "Chromer"...Welder of Chrome pipes, Stainless Steel pipes and other Alloy and Carbon steel stuff......
Old 09-05-2017, 05:55 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
Taking the Dyna in tomorrow to get the rear tire replaced, learned that the ME880 is phased out and replaced with the ME888. Got over 10K out of the rear, the front still looks good for a while. I'll try to run a little extra pressure in them going forward. Was running 42 in the rear, but fully loaded with all of DPH's luggage and my extra pair of socks, I would say it was like riding 2 up whenever we would travel to whatever destination we were heading to.

Rear is completely bald in the middle once I got back from PA, first time I ran one that low. Having Lyndall pads put on while the rear is apart to cut down on the dust. The stock pads lasted me for over 30k so far, not sure if that is typical.

Thinking of trying out the Michelin Schorchers on it the next time I need to replace both tires. Heard some good thing, heard some OK things, about the same as all the other tires out there, and the ME888's are a bit pricey.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:32 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
Picked up the bike on Friday, can't complain about the tire yet, but give me time...

We'll see how long this one last me. The cost on the ME888 is a bit out there, but my mech gives a good discount. Almost $300 list, I got it for $235, $358 out the door for tire, tube, strip, and installing my pads.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:41 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
They, tire manufactures, totally rape motor riders on tire prices!

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 09-11-2017, 04:45 PM
Double-D

For a product that only lasts ~10k miles...damn right they do.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:44 PM
Hangaround

ljadon34 has failed to amuse us
I had them installed last week. They handle great and feel really good compared to the stock tires. Bought these Metzeler 888 tires because of the price I got at 4WO|Truck parts & Motorcycle. Hope I can get a good mileage out of them.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:32 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'm sweating bullets here. The ME880 is the only rear tire that has the load capacity for Vader in my size (160/60R16). Thankfully, Revzilla's still got them, as the 888 doesn't have that size yet.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 09-16-2017, 07:42 PM
Site Sponsor
Doof Member

JDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
I've been running the Metzlers for years. They handle well and do not follow the groves in the road like the dunlops, however, I don't keep mileage records on my rear tire! .

Route 412, Bethlehem. 412 = (4, 1+2=3) = 43
Old 09-17-2017, 05:15 PM
Double-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsCycleWorks View Post
I've been running the Metzlers for years. They handle well and do not follow the groves in the road like the dunlops, however, I don't keep mileage records on my rear tire! .
Not really keeping records...got the bike with 146 miles on it...at 10k, the stockers were done. Needed another set a year later at 20k. Haven't been getting out as much as I had in the past, took a while longer to get to 30k, but the tire was bald after I returned from Chambersburg. Easy to remember when it clicks off on such a regular interval.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:03 PM
Resident Tough Guy
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: New World by AJ Fernandez
Rock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygiene
Quote:
Originally Posted by pa-glazier View Post
I'll take sticky over mileage any day!
Are there really tires that don't stick? Even my stock dunlops stuckt to the road in a hard turn.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:06 PM
Spyderman

fred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygiene
read this thread then looked to see what is available. When I get to that point its Michelin Commanders on the RG and ME888 on the Dyna just due to size available. Damn they are expensive.
“We are all capable of believing things which we know to be untrue, and then, when we are finally proved wrong, impudently twisting the facts so as to show that we were right. Intellectually, it is possible to carry on this process for an indefinite time: the only check on it is that sooner or later a false belief bumps up against solid reality, usually on a battlefield.”
—George Orwell, 1946

"The race may not always be to the swift nor the victory to the strong, but that's how you bet." - or - that's how the smart money bets...attributed to Damon Runyon