Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > The Attic > General Bike Discussions
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 11-16-2017, 08:21 AM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Now is probably a good time too catch NBF

Harley sales seem to be underwhelming

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...iqD?li=BBnbfcN

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 11-16-2017, 09:26 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
They're still pretty proud of their babies at the dealer.

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 11-16-2017, 02:04 PM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Last Cigar Smoked: Romeo y Julieta Churchill
BillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
They do not do a good job of marketing to younger people. Older people that like motorcycles already have one or more in their garage.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:27 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
I would not buy one anytime soon. Once again Harley is using owners as guinea pigs on things that should not be happening.
1. Engine sumping. So they increased the allowable amount in the engine can keep in the cam chest, just like relaxing the crank run out a few years back.
2. Transmission fluid moving from the tranny into the primary and causing tranny failures.

Do a search, I'm not making this crap up.

Kimber

Old 11-16-2017, 03:02 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
I would not buy one anytime soon. Once again Harley is using owners as guinea pigs on things that should not be happening.
1. Engine sumping. So they increased the allowable amount in the engine can keep in the cam chest, just like relaxing the crank run out a few years back.
2. Transmission fluid moving from the tranny into the primary and causing tranny failures.

Do a search, I'm not making this crap up.

Mike, have you read the SB the MOCO sent to dealers on the fluid transfer? For the 2017 and up there is no fix at this time. Monitor and adjust fluid levels every 1000 mi.

I'm sure they're informing all prospective buyers right?
Old 11-16-2017, 03:22 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Didn't the pre '17's have double case seals to keep the fluids in the proper case?

I'll have to read my '15 RTFM closer.

I know VW had a fluid swapping issue in their Golf / Rabbit platform with auto transmissions. Because they only had one seal between the two sides. The Dasher, Bus, Ouantum had a seal for each side and a space between the two components with a weep hole to let the leak go to the ground.

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 11-16-2017, 05:17 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Iron View Post
Mike, have you read the SB the MOCO sent to dealers on the fluid transfer? For the 2017 and up there is no fix at this time. Monitor and adjust fluid levels every 1000 mi.

I'm sure they're informing all prospective buyers right?
Yeah, they all do that, right...

I have not read it, but have followed some of the posts on another forum. Lots of pissed off customers. My buddy who tuned my bike and own a shop has had bikes with both failures in for repairs. Some we just out of warranty.

Kimber

Last edited by Backroad Mike; 11-17-2017 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:16 PM
Airhead

Ken R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steak
Keeping my 13, thank you.
Love the color. Prefer the cable clutch.

Would enjoy a 107, but not enough to buy a new motorcycle.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:26 PM
Original Delinquent

Yeah, keeping my 11 too. Still love the color. Don't mind the hydraulic clutch, but then I'm not a cone rider.

Kimber

Old 11-17-2017, 04:45 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

ms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
I'm happy with my '11 even though I just rebuilt the lower end. . .again. Extended warranty rocks!

High Priestess of the Cloudriders
Old 11-17-2017, 08:13 AM
Original Delinquent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_tapestry View Post
I just rebuilt the lower end. . .again.
Was it lifter failure?

Kimber

Old 11-18-2017, 05:31 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

ms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
Was it lifter failure?

Failed Compensator. . .here's a partial parts list.

Rotor Assembly
Race, Inner Bearing
Chain Tensioner Assembly
Primary Drive Chain
Compensator
Roller Bearing
Shift Shaft Seal

I got the upgraded compensator. Oh he and fixed my fuel gauge. I had saved enough Chrome Points to replace my lower fork sliders with the fancy chrome ones. New tires and a three hole fluid change and I should be good for a little while.

High Priestess of the Cloudriders
Old 11-18-2017, 10:22 AM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyB View Post
They do not do a good job of marketing to younger people. Older people that like motorcycles already have one or more in their garage.
Well, I think Harley's trying, what with the new Dyna/Softail models they released this fall. I look at 'em, tho, as expensive toys, status symbols, garage fillers. Entry-level they ain't..........

Baggers are way too expensive, and the group Harley targets for those is literally dying off.

Lastly, who (save for a few) around here piles the miles on their baggers like they used to? My annual miles ridden have dropped quite a bit the last three years, to less than 11K total. I haven't made any long trips in that span, and have ridden to work a lot less, especially the last year. Point being, why buy a new bike if you ain't gonna ride it much?

The 'b' is, more likely than not, the first and last Harley I'll ever buy.......

Last edited by orbit; 11-18-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:08 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Yeah...all my friends within 200 miles have died.

The only one locally who I ride with is a retired CHP officer, he only invites me along so he doesn't have to ride alone.
When he gets together with a bunch of his other officer friends I'm just an unnecessary looser hang around that was only a mechanic that took care of their patrol cars.

I tend to always stay in the back of the pack, because I don't want to ever again get chewed out for throwing up sand and rocks at them.

Because that is the only way little road rocks and sand get thrown up at them is from my bike only...

But they are always shocked I ride alone for thousands of miles. Because I am meeting up with friends!

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 11-18-2017, 11:47 AM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Butte View Post

I tend to always stay in the back of the pack, because I don't want to ever again get chewed out for throwing up sand and rocks at them.

Because that is the only way little road rocks and sand get thrown up at them is from my bike only...

They oughta follow a trike. Then they'd have something to bitch about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Butte View Post

But they are always shocked I ride alone for thousands of miles. Because I am meeting up with friends!
I rode with, and told stories to, some members of a local HOG chapter this year. I'd like to think they have a hard time understanding why when I've told 'em of the miles I've ridden to meet, and ride with, friends.