Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Carburetor
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 05-31-2007, 10:43 AM
BigAlsRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
I said rough, but I really meant an idle that goes up and down in rpm. Usually increases over normal idle and then drops back down, up and down. Really inconsistent would have been a better word. Sorry for the wrong use of the word rough.
I should reserve rough for the way a big block V-8 sounds with a high lift cam, but that would be more of a lope.
It does lope a bit like my old 69 Chev pickup with a 396 and 3/4 cam....
Old 05-31-2007, 10:47 AM
BigAlsRK

Ok

So....I go with the pilot jet up one size...replace the manifold gaskets ( possible manifold as well)....and see what happens....right?
Old 05-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Just plain Doof

rk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suck
are you finished yet?

Psalm 23:4 and the Second Amendment are enough for me.

If you have issue with anything in this post. You can address this by opening a dos prompt and typing
cd C:/
and then type
format C:

What you looking for?
Old 05-31-2007, 11:29 AM
BigAlsRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk custom View Post
are you finished yet?
Uh....no......gonna have to wait til Saturday....
Old 05-31-2007, 06:33 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd_cv_mods.htm

3 turns is the recommended max, so I'm out of ideas. W/ the Mikuni, I adjusted the accelerator pump as well to eliminate it on my FXDWG, but I'm not sure if it's adjustable on the CV.
You could step your pilot jet up 1 size and readjust the mixture screw from there.

Edit: Duh, yah, what Littlebear said a few replies back.....
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 02-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Nowhereman

If your using a Mik, just tweek your accelerator pump to come on sooner.
Somewhere between 1 and 2 mm gap should do it.
Your low speed mix should be between 1.5 and 2 turns open.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:56 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

genoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman View Post
That was almost 2 years ago. He has a different bike now.

just sayin'

Old 02-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
Yep, he does have a bagger now but the extra input is always a good thing.

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 02-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Last Cigar Smoked: Romeo y Julieta Churchill
BillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scabbydoo View Post
BigAl got a bagger?!?!?!?!

Old 02-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
Can you believe it...

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 02-05-2009, 12:30 AM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

genoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
True, might help someone else.

I used to could strip and rebuild a carb with my eyes closed. Now I'm an EFI guy. I love the ability to adjust everything with an EFI. SO, much better.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:32 AM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman View Post
So, I just finished my build last week. Installed a HSR42 as part of it .... currently my bike idles best when the screw is only one turn out .... is it your opinion that I should put in a pilot jet that provides more fuel, and re-adjust the air screw ?

I will also adjust the accelerator pump to come on sooner. I checked the current setting .. it's a 8mm
I'll go down to 4mm and see how it comes off idle then.

The idle is pretty good, and here's the only things that I've noticed

the plugs look like it's well on the lean side
occasionaly when making a turn from one street onto another, at very low throttle, when opening the throttle to get gas for making the turn, she spits back through the breather ....

are these two items indication that I should move up to a richer jet needle... the manual says that the carb comes std with a -97 jet needle, so move to a -96 ?

again, do you think that I should also change the pilot jet ? the manual says it comes std with a 25, what size would I move to ?

Thanks !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoway View Post
That was almost 2 years ago. He has a different bike now.

just sayin'
time sure goes by fast ... but I still have the same bike

Quote:
it is, otherwise I wouldn't have seen this, and this is a CURRENT thing for me ..... :d good to have new people come along sometimes and dig up some old stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyB View Post
BigAl got a bagger?!?!?!?!
Can you believe that ..... WOW

Quote:
Can you believe it...
Oh, that's where I head that

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoway View Post
True, might help someone else.

I'm hoping that it's gonna be helping me

I used to could strip and rebuild a carb with my eyes closed. Now I'm an EFI guy. I love the ability to adjust everything with an EFI. SO, much better.
RIGHT, RIGHT, RIGHT !!!

EVO's and Carbs FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 03-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Public Doofender

Highmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxr4mikey View Post

occasionally when making a turn from one street onto another, at very low throttle, when opening the throttle to get gas for making the turn, she spits back through the breather ....
Stop turning at very low throttle, or don't change streets.

Did you know I liked Bobbers?

Old 03-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmiles View Post
Stop turning at very low throttle, or don't change streets.
Thank you Jim, for those wise tips !!
I'm sure I'll find them very useful .... and I can tell the officer that I had been advised

States I've ridden my scoots in: